Wasabi Rice lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aydos

Reaction score
I had some mates over on the weekend and they got me thinking of making a Wasabi rice lager. I was thinking of going along the lines of making just a normal Rice lager (80% pilz / 20% rice) with a single bittering addition at 60mins for around 25 ibu and just adding the wasabi paste after fermentation.

Has anyone ever added wasabi to a beer before? I'm curious on the amounts that I would need. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't need to be pasteurized so I won't bother with that.

Cheers
Aydan

Haven't done before, but if I was game to (hmmmmm...) I'd use wasabi powder instead of paste. Easy to find at any Asian food store.

Yeah wasabi powder in some water boil for a bit then add. Would be very interesting.

Had plenty of temporary blackouts from accidentally having too much wasabi at once. (and on a similar note, spreading too much hot English mustard on a ham & salad roll).
Having that experience every time I have a gulp of a beer? I'll pass.

Consider measuring a portion and add it to a glass before making a whole batch.
If your scales can't measure a low enough quantity to suit your tastes, you should be able to dilute it with water to make a lower strength solution so that you can better calibrate your wasabi addition when making the whole batch.

Fun fact: wasabi doesn't burn as long as chili because it's water based, not oil based and can be easily washed away.

I dunno, I reckon it would go ok.

I combine wasabi with stupid shit when I'm bored. Pineapple wasabi is not bad, but completely overpowers watermelon.

I've made Wasabi Vodka before, farken awesome in a Bloody Mary!!

could be interesting in a Beer, but would have to be very low amounts. Just so you get a bit of a kick & that feeling in ya nose that only lasts 5 seconds

treefiddy said:
I dunno, I reckon it would go ok.

I combine wasabi with stupid shit when I'm bored. Pineapple wasabi is not bad, but completely overpowers watermelon.
Pineapple with wasabi sounds good to me.

Pickling liquor at the end of the boil and some pickled ginger 'dry hopped'...?

Hmmmmm.... Maybe just the liquor in the boil for some background subtlety?

Pickled ginger definitely sounds a bit nicer than wasabi in a beer though (it probably doesn't help I can't even stand the smell of wasabi anymore after a bit of a silly school dare involving wasabi and a nostril... :unsure: )

I might try the addition to a glass first and see how it goes. I reckon the flavour would go really well in a reasonably bittered lager.

I have a rauchbier at home, I'll try it in that first to see how overwhelming it is.

Does and one think the flavours would go better with a different style beer?

Latest posts

Back