• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted: Gas Bottle!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkirky

Reaction score
G'day all...

I'm after a suitable gas bottle to help get me started in kegging... I haven't got my keg gear yet either so if anyone has either the whole kit (kegs, reg. Lines, gas bottle etc.) or just the gas bottle, it would be greatly appreciated...

I'm on a fairly tight budget as i have a kid on the way, hence looking for second hand rather than new...

Cheers in advance!

In common with a lot of brewers I just rent from BOC - I know I should buy a bottle but I'm just up the road and it's convenient. You sign up for a year initially and pay quarterly, and a 10k should set you back about $45 a quarter and a fill (around $50) can last around 10 months if you are a mad gas user like myself (six pints a session normally and I use gas for all sorts of flushing and kegging operations) or if you are a moderate drinker with only a couple of kegs it could even stretch to 18 months.

Supagas had some 6kg CO2 cylinders for $180 that were surplus to their requirements. I bought two earlier this year, mine were pressure tested late 2010. Hopefully still have some.

mate ive got it all.
ive got 8 kegs, quick disconnects with john guess fittings.
heaps of beer line.
john guess fittings (t, y, elbows, one way valve)
big air up cylinder
harris 601 reg

5 soda stream bottles (great for partys) or that extra keg in teh other fridge
extra reg

Used to rent, but a few years ago bought a MyKegOnLegs cylinder- it's a lot of cash up front, but it's only a couple of years rent, so it has already paid for itself.

G'Day Justin,

+1 for the MyKegOnLegs cylinders, pays off it self in the long run.

Cheers,
Dave

Where are you located? Renting varies dramatically in price from state to state so depending on location will change your options.

i've got a VT sized food fresh Co2 bottle you can have for free if you want to pay the shipping (EMPTY)

i've got a VT sized food fresh Co2 bottle you can have for free if you want to pay the shipping (EMPTY)
That sounds great tyreman!

How heavy is the VT? I'll check out some shipping prices but consider it done!

Not sure if I should start a new thread but thought I would try here first... Apologies for the hi-jack... I too am after a cheap (or free!) co2 bottle. I'm in Adelaide but obviously shipping is an option. I don't really mind what size.

Cheers.

Where abouts are you from Kirky??
Ive got a Supagas bottle that i want to get rid of (still full), but i would be looking for what i paid for it $170

I bought it a few months ago and ended up not needing it.

n00b question alert.
can a BBQ gas bottle be used for CO2?

n00b question alert.
can a BBQ gas bottle be used for CO2?

No-you need a CO2 cylinder. Different valve and you won't get anyone to put CO2 in it for you. Some people use fire extinguishers though

Not sure if I should start a new thread but thought I would try here first... Apologies for the hi-jack... I too am after a cheap (or free!) co2 bottle. I'm in Adelaide but obviously shipping is an option. I don't really mind what size.

Cheers.
I got mine from Beerbelly in Prospect. They're supplied full

+1 for fire extinguishers...
I picked up 3 x 2.4kg = two full and one empty for $50 on ebay.

The only thing you need to be careful about is the bottle "should" be inverted while it still has its internal dip tube.
You can get the tubes removed when you do their first refill.

Although, just between you and me and the gate post, I used mine the right way up with the tubes still in .... except when I was using gas quickly (charging a keg from room pressure and force carbonating .... then I made sure the bottle was inverted,...... during normal operation, right way up was no problem even with the dip tubes still fitted.

+1 for fire extinguishers...
I picked up 3 x 2.4kg = two full and one empty for $50 on ebay.

The only thing you need to be careful about is the bottle "should" be inverted while it still has its internal dip tube.
You can get the tubes removed when you do their first refill.

Although, just between you and me and the gate post, I used mine the right way up with the tubes still in .... except when I was using gas quickly (charging a keg from room pressure and force carbonating .... then I made sure the bottle was inverted,...... during normal operation, right way up was no problem even with the dip tubes still fitted.

How do you set up an old extinguisher for kegging? Forgive my newb ignorance!

Latest posts

Back