Volumes And Gravity Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm currently midway through brewing an American Amber Ale. This is my fifth AG brew so I'm still experimenting with my gear (very simple esky for mashing and stovetop boil). With this brew I wanted to try and get better control of my volumes and gravities so I can hit targets (or at least get in the ballpark).

The batch I'm doing is 20 litres and has an OG of 1046. The recipe calls for 4.15 kg of grain. Here's what I managed to produce:

15 litres mash water -> 9 litres of wort at 1060
11 litres sparge water -> total of 20 litres of wort at 1030

I measured the gravity preboil but the wort was still pretty warm (I'd estimate somewhere between 50 and 60 degrees).

Does that sound about right or is the gravity a bit low?

Cheers,

Chris

Are the gravities you mention the actual reading or temperature corrected values?

sap.

Hi Folks,

I'm currently midway through brewing an American Amber Ale. This is my fifth AG brew so I'm still experimenting with my gear (very simple esky for mashing and stovetop boil). With this brew I wanted to try and get better control of my volumes and gravities so I can hit targets (or at least get in the ballpark).

The batch I'm doing is 20 litres and has an OG of 1046. The recipe calls for 4.15 kg of grain. Here's what I managed to produce:

15 litres mash water -> 9 litres of wort at 1060
11 litres sparge water -> total of 20 litres of wort at 1030

I measured the gravity preboil but the wort was still pretty warm (I'd estimate somewhere between 50 and 60 degrees).

Does that sound about right or is the gravity a bit low?

Cheers,

Chris

One thing I forgot to mention is that I was pretty right with my volumes - I was aiming for 20 litres of wort and that's what I got. Now if I can just get the gravity AND the volumes right!

Are the gravities you mention the actual reading or temperature corrected values?

sap.

They're actual readings from the hydrometer. I was having a look in Palmer for how to correct the values but the chart only goes to 49 degrees. I'd estimate that the wort was a bit hotter than that when I measured it. Next time I'll check the temp!

Latest posts

Back