Victoria Pale Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried one this arvo and must say that yeah i didnt mind it ........ even the wife liked it .......

Since the first stubby I've been drinking my own megaswilly Barrett Burston thing, but just cracked a second Vic and it's going down nicely.

2 for $5 it OK reminds me of Heineken.
im happy with my local craft brewery's
thanks!

couldn't be any worse that this

1975p_Hooten_Label.jpg

man... why did i buy it.

Yeh but you wouldn't believe how many people that would actually prefer the original VB it is crazy....
Yeah it's crazy, but then again the people who prefer the orginal VB usually prefer VB over anything, and taste no longer has anything to do with the equation.

Saw this (vb new) at the shop tonight. Although cheap I passed it up for alpha pale ale.
Will give it a try in time, would have to be better than vb if it's all grain plus saaz.
At least it's not lo taste lo carb lo alcohol and blonde.

(Th alpha pale ale tastes way better than fat yak pale ale and both by Matilda bay)

Saw this (vb new) at the shop tonight. Although cheap I passed it up for alpha pale ale.
Will give it a try in time, would have to be better than vb if it's all grain plus saaz.

(Th alpha pale ale tastes way better than fat yak pale ale and both by Matilda bay)

They all still fosters!

I'll try one. Only because it is a type of beer.

This is exactly echoed in the "Aussie beer lover's guide" where they use Alpha / yak as a perfect example of the uphill battle. The Alpha is the showcase but only sells a tiny fraction compared to yak. If the beer drinking public preferred the Alpha then it would be the other way around. Strikes me that the Pale Lager is maybe a "Skinny yak" effort - i.e. take a full flavoured pilsner, dumb it down but not as far as Carlton Draught so it's still attractive to mainstream drinkers but not too radical for their tamed taste buds.
I wonder what Lion's answer will be.

This is exactly echoed in the "Aussie beer lover's guide" where they use Alpha / yak as a perfect example of the uphill battle. The Alpha is the showcase but only sells a tiny fraction compared to yak. If the beer drinking public preferred the Alpha then it would be the other way around. Strikes me that the Pale Lager is maybe a "Skinny yak" effort - i.e. take a full flavoured pilsner, dumb it down but not as far as Carlton Draught so it's still attractive to mainstream drinkers but not too radical for their tamed taste buds.
I wonder what Lion's answer will be.

But Fat Yak is everywhere and Alpha isn't. It's hard to say really isn't it? How do they work this stuff out?

Regarding this VPL, it really does seem to buck the trend of megaswill getting megaswillier and even megaswill owned craft breweries getting megaswillier as time goes on! I think it's a good thing. I know it's all marketing but it's good to see them leverage a defined megaswill brand and take it the OTHER way. Rather than making the newest low carb or mid strength version of VB.

Regarding this VPL, it really does seem to buck the trend of megaswill getting megaswillier and even megaswill owned craft breweries getting megaswillier as time goes on! I think it's a good thing. I know it's all marketing but it's good to see them leverage a defined megaswill brand and take it the OTHER way. Rather than making the newest low carb or mid strength version of VB.
I have to agree with you there - despite being yet to try this beer.
Good on them for pushing the envelope in the direction of "real beer", where hop and malt character reward the drinker with flavour, as opposed to following every other trend and creating a VB Low Carb or VB with a twist of lemon.
I did notice, and try, an "All Malt lager" from Cascade at the recent Aussie Beer Festival in Sydney. Wasn't blown away or anything, but it was nice to know they're going down that path.

ps. loving the VPL...hope it does well just because of that :lol:

It was a warm day today, after chewing on the brown ale last night felt like something a lot lighter.

Thought i better see what this is like.

Pours with a small head that actually hangs around for a few minutes, dies away to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smells clean, very faint hop aroma on pouring.

Very clean and crisp, some definite sazz hop flavour there, smooth bitterness that lingers slightly.
No foul after-tastes.
Pretty thin for my palate these days and too much carbonation to go with it, but yeah this would make and easy drinking beer when you hot and bothered.

Quite surprising overall, i think they should phase out regular VB and make them drink this! :ph34r:

But Fat Yak is everywhere and Alpha isn't. It's hard to say really isn't it? How do they work this stuff out?

Fat yak in my opinion is the regular version and alpha pale ale is the Premium version which is also a reserve which always come's with a higher price and is always more exclusive but i'm sure any true craft beer drinker would agree that the alpha is the ultimate pale ale....

I can tell this would be a major hit up north here.

Fark, I wasn't expecting this to be that good. I proclaim that this beer shall be drank with non-brewing mates and drunken-ness shall ensue.

(I've never managed to get pissed on mega-swill, the taste kills the mood)

It is a good beer but doesn't anyone else feel that is just not quite right? being so lightly malted it is nearly empty in flavour maltwise (new word).

This is what cheap beer ought to be like, inoffensive, refreshing and nothin basically wrong. Anyway, thats wat I think. Can't beat 12 bucks for a 6 pack.

I got some proper brewery-bound malt from a SEQ maltings as part of a club buy and first up I did a smash with it to evaluate the maltiness. Very low malt flavour, that's what they obviously grow for the trade. It turned out very Carltonesque (another new word?)

We are attuned to the likes of BB or JW Ale etc - not to mention Maris Otter, Golden Promise.......... so as home brewers our palates have been a bit spoiled I suppose. Malts aint Malts.

Latest posts

Back