Victoria Pale Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danbeer

Reaction score
So it seems summer is upon us again, and at least one new brewery is launching a 'session' beer, with a "sessionable flavour"

The blurb in the add from Dan's says it's bittered by POR and has Saaz for aroma...
http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_707924...oria-pale-lager

So has anyone tried it?

The thought of POR for bittering, and that characteristic wet-cardboard taste that seemingly all CUB products have has me hesitant to spend the $3 entry fee to find out...

SOunds like VB with some Saaz added late. Probably a tiny amount.

But people don't buy megaswill because of its taste - they buy it to get drunk, and to conform to the crowd.

If you add Saaz to a pint of urine, it will still taste like urine, with a nice clean hop finish.....

So it seems summer is upon us again, and at least one new brewery is launching a 'session' beer, with a "sessionable flavour"

The blurb in the add from Dan's says it's bittered by POR and has Saaz for aroma...
http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_707924...oria-pale-lager

So has anyone tried it?

The thought of POR for bittering, and that characteristic wet-cardboard taste that seemingly all CUB products have has me hesitant to spend the $3 entry fee to find out...

What's wrong with POR?? I just bought a kilo of Super Pride, for bittering. So far no issues. Happy user.

It's all malt, not 30% sugar. Plus real hops not just a squirt on the way to the packing line. I'll definitely try a couple.

CUB make some nice beers. I particularly like Cascade Pale (green bottle, 5% ABV) and their take on Guinness 6% FES is quite quaffable. The point is that they don't make beers badly. They do make a lot of bad beers - but they brew them very well because they sell well (VB etc) and they can brew them bang on "to style". You try making a Pure Blonde Mid using BIAB or 3V and see how far you get - not that you'd want to. :rolleyes:

If the market dictated good beers brewed well then that's what they would crank out morning noon and night. I'll see if I can grab a six of this stuff over the weekend and report.

12 bucks for a sixer here in Brisbane. It's the whole VB thing that will prevent me of trying one until a report is recieved.

Saw them this avo at the local, was about to do a search but saw this in the 'recently posted' list instead.

Be interesting to see how they go, I remember their 'VB Original Ale' from a few years back was quite nice and if this is anything like that then its sure to be well received.

Cheers - boingk

$39.00 a slab at Dans.
I'll grab a slab in a couple of hrs and report back
mmm Saaz :icon_drool2:

I live six doors from a LL.
4.4% ABV
Crisp, clean, not much upfront but a pleasant lingering bitterness that is not the iso twang. No mousecage or metallic twang either.

You know, this reminds me 100% of mainstream Kiwi beers such as Export Gold or Summit Lager. Clean clean clean, if I wasn't a home brewer I'd drink this over VB or Tooheys any day. Pleasant lawnmower but nothing to write home about - probably in the same category as Coopers 62.

If it sells well it might persuade them to switch to all malt for more of their brews - they get their malt for less than a dollar a kilo anyway (I know this) - apparently the UK brewers find this is the cheapest option nowadays rather than frig around with adjuncts.

$39.00 a slab at Dans.
I'll grab a slab in a couple of hrs and report back
mmm Saaz :icon_drool2:
or even for a try 1st choice have 6pk's for $ 12 each.... 1st choice is the place to go :beerbang:

I live six doors from a LL.
4.4% ABV
Crisp, clean, not much upfront but a pleasant lingering bitterness that is not the iso twang. No mousecage or metallic twang either.

You know, this reminds me 100% of mainstream Kiwi beers such as Export Gold or Summit Lager. Clean clean clean, if I wasn't a home brewer I'd drink this over VB or Tooheys any day. Pleasant lawnmower but nothing to write home about - probably in the same category as Coopers 62.

If it sells well it might persuade them to switch to all malt for more of their brews - they get their malt for less than a dollar a kilo anyway (I know this) - apparently the UK brewers find this is the cheapest option nowadays rather than frig around with adjuncts.

If it really is all malt and hop pellets, it's a step in the right direction for sure.

Now if they just make it 5% abv and put it in a brown bottle, we can forget the last 25 years ever happened <_<

Back