VICBREW 2013

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brad81 said:
Great attitude mate.

Walk a mile in the shoes of the Organising Committee & you'll understand all too well why there's a level of frustration in my posting of late. My "snap" above was telegraphed to Stakka via PM & he understood.

Requested information on the form is there, I've just gone looking for it on the vicbrew site. I'll have to fill this out again so I can attach it to the bottle, where the QRCode will already be attached from the compmaster site..

The system ain't perfect & we don't own Compmaster. We have to cater for those that are computer-savvy & those that aren't. Any contingency/redundancy we can build into the system, the better for the entrants & the organisers. Bear in mind that computer systems are subject to breakdown & data-entry problems. Completing the entry form is really only meant for those who don't do the online registration/payment.

The same level of information is not communicated on the compmaster website. Print out the label and attach it to the bottle.

As above.

If the information is segregated, then surely you can understand that there will be a little confusion in how to submit entries.

As above - Horses for courses.

You cannot rely on an RTFM attitude when the manual is a bit skewiff.

I'm just repeating myself.....
If you want a slick-run competition, don't think it's currently being done adequately & can improve things, please feel free to stick your hand-up for a job on the Organising Committee....if you DARE!

Yes, I'm a bit cranky ATM....need beer....mmmmm....beeer......

Critical, constructive feedback can be offered about something without being told - don't like it? try running it! though.

I know what you mean Martin as I do actively involve myself with various things compwise (mainly judging but also primary organisation of things like last year's beerfest and a recent-ish BJCP study group). I have not been involved nearly as long as you but I'm not quite an armchair critic. We need to engage with solid, critical feedback so we can strive to improve or at the very least - patiently explain why things are the way they are. Haters will hate and haters can get fucked but most people are not haters.

Sometimes people get confused by what is in front of them. Happens to the best of us.

It's OK, Manticle, I've had a beer now.. :super:
I agree with you about the constructive feedback & it is. Unfortunately, I find myself being the "voice" of VIcbrew here, when I'm not au-fait with everything that goes on & I'm trying to field questions about stuff I can't honestly deal-with. After-all, I'm "just" the Chief Steward... :ph34r:

I already know what I'm going to say in the debrief-session....

Fair point. I've generally found Vicbrew well run over the last few years but I only see it on the day as a judge and don't see much further behind the scenes. The fact that they are continually short judges yet haven't made the call out yet (inside a month till comp time) is indicative of the fact that there are some organisational issues that should probably get examined.

As a melbourne brewrs committee member, I realise voluntary time takes second place to working/family time (and so it should). As an example, we (MB) have a history of not giving out all promised prizes from comps in a timely fashion (we are trying to change this) so no-one is above criticism. We do need to cop it from time to time though.

Looking forward to the comp anyway.

For what its worth Martin and Manticle, I'm sure you blokes and everyone involved are doing a great job.
If there was not guys like you getting in and organising these events, well I reckon there would be people complaining about the lack of events !

Good on yas I say.

unclebarrel said:
For what its worth Martin and Manticle, I'm sure you blokes and everyone involved are doing a great job.
If there was not guys like you getting in and organising these events, well I reckon there would be people complaining about the lack of events !

Good on yas I say.
My second beer says thanks - 'hope we can give everyone the best-run competition in the Nation (Ooops! There I go again! :ph34r: ).....

I'm having issues with being able to access QR Codes for paid-for entries.

I get the page giving the Entry Summary and Instructions, but no QR Code graphic to either print out or download. It's not a PEBCAK, I know what I'm looking for. Have tried 2 different browsers and 2 different operating systems.

Have tried contacting AndyD, but if anybody knows if there's other issues, and can help, could you post in this thread?

For anyone who hasn't received the email from Mark directly, here's a cut/paste:

Hi Judges, Stewards and Brewers,

Call out for JUDGES or STEWARDS at VicBrew. The Victorian Amateur Brewing Championship will be held on the first weekend in October - Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th October 2013 at Belgian Beer Cafe Eureka, 5 Riverside Quay, Southbank Melbourne, Melway 2F E7. We need your assistance as judges and stewards. The competition is BJCP registered, but all judges are welcome.

Can you please reply to this email ([email protected]) providing the following information:

AVAILABLE SATURDAY 5th Oct SESSION: YES/NO

AVAILABLE SUNDAY 6th Oct SESSION: YES/NO

JUDGING EXPERIENCE, COMPETITIONS JUDGED AT: 0 / 1 / 2-4 / 5-10 / >10.

BJCP ID#:

AVAILABLE TO JUDGE: YES/NO

AVAILABLE TO STEWARD: YES/NO

PREFER TO JUDGE CATEGORIES:

PREFER NOT TO JUDGE CATEGORIES:

NAME

CONTACT PHONE NUMBER:

ANY OTHER INFO:

The days on which each category is judged will depend on the number of entries and judge availability.

Starting times for the sessions are expected to be:

Morning session (9.00 am start):

Afternoon session (1 pm start, 5pm finish):

Lunch will be provided for all judges and stewards.

If you're only available for part of the day, please indicate your preference for a morning or afternoon sessions. We will use this information to draw up the judging schedule but cannot guarantee that we will be able to meet everyone's preferences. We hope that most judges will be available for several sessions, but the need for this will depend on the response. We will not assign judges to categories in which they have an entry - please let us know the cateogories you will be entering. We we will also check against the registration database in case you change your mind.

The categories are:

1. Low Alcohol (<4% Abv)

2.Pale Lager

3. Pilsener

4. Amber & Dark Lager

5. Strong Lager (>6% Abv)

6. Pale Ale

7. American Pale Ale

8. Bitter Ale

9. Brown Ale

10. Porter

11. Stout

12. Strong Stout (>6% Abv)

13. India Pale Ale

14. Strong Ale (>6% Abv)

15. Belgian Strong Ale (>6% Abv)

16. Wheat & Rye Beer

17. Farmhouse Ale & Wild Beer

18. Specialty Beer.

There is a full list of categories and styles on the back of the entry form and at www.vicbrew.org under the VicBrew tab on the left-hand side of the page.

Thanks for your assistance,

Remember that VicBrew entries close on 21 September 2013. No late entries.

Mark Hibberd

on behalf of the VicBrew2013 organising committee (Michael Guenzel, Neil Kay, Michael Bowron, Charles Johnston, Mark Johnstone, Andy Davison, Martin O'Connor)

[email protected]

mob. 0427 178 068

WarmBeer said:
I'm having issues with being able to access QR Codes for paid-for entries.

I get the page giving the Entry Summary and Instructions, but no QR Code graphic to either print out or download. It's not a PEBCAK, I know what I'm looking for. Have tried 2 different browsers and 2 different operating systems.

Have tried contacting AndyD, but if anybody knows if there's other issues, and can help, could you post in this thread?
G'day - I'll take a look at this later this afternoon/tonight. Can anyone having this problem please PM me with your COmpMaster usernames?

Thanks,

Andy

Ahh, shattered, was really keen to submit and get some feedback on my latest creation! (When it is carbed and ready, but it is promising...) Shame about the 500ml minimum!

Always next year ;) More for me now I guess! :beerbang:

Sorry to hear that Thrillho, have you considered transferring two stubbies into a 750ml bottle and giving it a small shot of priming sugar and a few grains of dry yeast? Could be worth a show, if only to see if it works :)

There is a bit of a move to accept 500ml minimum entries around the organizers of competitions. The presence of stubbies has led to some of the more amusing judging annecdotes over the years, a fewq of which include:

1) Someone submitting (as a single entry) two stubbies of completely different beer - which do you judge?
2) Countless stubbies going missing as they get treated differently
3) That frustrating flight that overflows a milk crate by 1 bottle because someone's entered with stubbies
4) Someone that submitted two stubbies, intending them to be blended, only to find that an enterprising steward had decided that the extra bottle was going to be a nice traveler since only one stubbies worth was used in the judging
5) a 2 stubbie submission where one bottle had apparently not been properly cleaned (one of the most dreadful cases of "funk" I've ever encountered) while the other was a brilliant beer.

Its probably going to cause some discussion (hopefully in a new thread - HINT HINT), and it's worth having the discussion if it's going to cause significant pain for brewers, but at present it's looking like a sensible thing for competition organisers to pursue (remembering these blokes give up their time to make the competitions run for you!)

Cheers!

Andy

Well it appears the judges will be spared my beers this year, I'm at work and have just seen the deadline was today. Thought it was next Saturday!

One positive is I now have four long necks extra to consume :)

Anyone else just fill from Kegs with w bit or tube? Does minimising headspace help with carbonation retention? I just filled mine right to the brim and capped...

One entered in specialty and one in pale ale.

Fingers crossed

Yob said:
Anyone else just fill from Kegs with w bit or tube? Does minimising headspace help with carbonation retention? I just filled mine right to the brim and capped...
Fingers crossed
Not that barley wine I tried by any chance?

Imagine wading through a flight of those...you'd need a tastebud-ectomy afterwards.

Yob said:

Fingers crossed
I have used a CPBF but now I just use a hose clamped over my tap spout, joined to a cut off racking cane with a drilled stopper that fits over the bottle mouth. Squeeze the stopper to release some co2 and control the foam and the flow. Works very well.

Google 'we need no stinking beer gun' to get a better idea of what I mean. Cheers.

Yob said:

Fingers crossed
I had 2 of these and opened one last week to check for carbonation. It was still good, used this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Perlick-Growler-Bottle-Filler-Complement-Set-Counter-Pressure-Filler-Kit-/171128018826?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d806578a&_uhb=1

Is this an event that competitors can attend? Or do only the judges go along and we get our results later.

Also I entered an ESB that is best served at cellar temps is there anyway of achieving this or am I hoping for to much with that?

Latest posts

Back