VICBREW 2013

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
Raised temps, gentle stir, active starter, gentle stir, plead and cry...
Hmmm....'sounds like my sex-life...have you considered next year?

Actually, no. That still sounds like my sex-life.. :blink:

Curious as to why there is a 500ml minimum on bottle size, I understand that an entry of 2 375ml stubbies might mean a fraction more handling required by the stewards but it seems like it just adds another layer of inaccessibility for new brewers. I'm sure the simple answer that people will come back with will be along the lines of "it's not hard to get bigger bottles, stop sooking and follow the rules" and for what it's worth I have been filling 2 700ml bottles from every brew as a matter of course since I saw this rule a few months ago, but I still think it is an unnecessary barrier.

ro55c0 said:
Curious as to why there is a 500ml minimum on bottle size, I understand that an entry of 2 375ml stubbies might mean a fraction more handling required by the stewards but it seems like it just adds another layer of inaccessibility for new brewers. I'm sure the simple answer that people will come back with will be along the lines of "it's not hard to get bigger bottles, stop sooking and follow the rules" and for what it's worth I have been filling 2 700ml bottles from every brew as a matter of course since I saw this rule a few months ago, but I still think it is an unnecessary barrier.
there could be 4 judges on a table, you wont enough beer in the glass to get the aroma, check clarity, head etc..

If you've got 2 stubbies, pour them (gently) into a 750, add a little sugar to recover some of the co2, and submit them to see how they go.

And hey it's the rulez, you don't need to submit :)

ro55c0 said:
In a word: Logistics. The crates that are used for storing/transporting the entries often won't stack if stubbies are stuck in them (we sometimes have a similar problem with tall champagne bottles). That means they have to be stored separately & out of serving order, when we're already restricted in cool-room space. If stubbies go into a crate, they're often at an angle, or worse, on their sides. Would you want your entries treated that way??

Yob said:
less than 500ml and the stewards dont get any :D
Damn! Sprung!! :chug:

Do Darwin stubbies score extra browny points then?

Frothie said:
Do Darwin stubbies score extra browny points then?
Nope! But they fit the rules, so we'd accept them. Just a shame to waste that much beer in a competition environment (most of it will go down the sink). Your call....

MartinOC said:
No need to label the bottle (in fact, bottles should be de-labelled). As long as your entry-sheet is securely attached to the bottle (we recommend a couple of rubber-bands - DON'T use sticky-tape it's a real PITA & can potentially be damaged when removing it).

I won't go into the detail, but rest assured, we'll do all the labeling that's required & everything is checked about 6 times before it gets to a judge. If there are any problems, the competition organizer will call you to sort it out before we start.
I just printed the QRCode label from the site, I am going to attach this to the bottle.

Do I still need to print out and attach the entry form as well??

brad81 said:
I just printed the QRCode label from the site, I am going to attach this to the bottle.

Do I still need to print out and attach the entry form as well??
Just as a back-up to the computer-based system, we like to keep a hard-copy. If you're attaching the QR Code, attach the entry form as well (same rubber bands - it's all good).

Would a black IPA fall under the IPA section or under specialty beer ? I just did not see it listed.

i bottle all my brews in 500ml bottles, so no probs there !

Specialty. If you don't see it listed, there is not currently another category/ style it fits.

Sorry, another couple of stupid questions:

Can I pay in cash when submitting the forms and accompanying beers at a drop off place like G&G?

Do I have to be a member of a club to participate?

No need to be a member of any club. You can enter as independent/no club.

Not sure what this year's entry requirements are as I know generally there is a push towards online payment and entry but previous years you have been able to include cash with dropoff.

The entry form sheet still has a box to tick for cash (old style form not comp master) so I would assume you can still pay cash.

stakka82 said:
Can I pay in cash when submitting the forms and accompanying beers at a drop off place like G&G?
Cut/Paste directly from the entry form:

ENTRY FORM — VICBREW 2013 Closing Date: 21st September

Please fold page or cut off entry form and attach with rubber band to bottle with entry details visible. Include entry fee in envelope attached to bottle.

Geez!! Just TWO days ago, I posted a status update wondering how many people would ACTUALLY READ the bloody Entry Form!!!!

Should have posted details for vicbrew entry and a call for stewards and judges at the same time.

Here.

MartinOC said:
Cut/Paste directly from the entry form:

ENTRY FORM — VICBREW 2013 Closing Date: 21st September

Please fold page or cut off entry form and attach with rubber band to bottle with entry details visible. Include entry fee in envelope attached to bottle.

Geez!! Just TWO days ago, I posted a status update wondering how many people would ACTUALLY READ the bloody Entry Form!!!!
Great attitude mate.

Requested information on the form is there, I've just gone looking for it on the vicbrew site. I'll have to fill this out again so I can attach it to the bottle, where the QRCode will already be attached from the compmaster site..

The same level of information is not communicated on the compmaster website. Print out the label and attach it to the bottle.

If the information is segregated, then surely you can understand that there will be a little confusion in how to submit entries.

You cannot rely on an RTFM attitude when the manual is a bit skewiff.

Back