Vic Xmas Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ha ha ha ha...wasn't Fents alluding to this game earlier in this thread?

I think Fourstar might complain about Barra's apparent lack of sanitation again.

Sorry to all the rest of you, you had to be there ;)

Given the general ingenuity of brewers, I reckon you could modify a Comfort Wipe to handle a loofer 4* :ph34r:

This is just like its gonna be up heres.

:lol:

One for you Reg

Last edited by a moderator:
Y'all be a liiittttllle slooooow in ben-diiii-goh

Last edited by a moderator:
Rather than make a new thread I might post this here because it is for the XMAS swap.

What are people's experiences with wyeast 2278?

I brewed 25 litres of pilsner on Sunday with an unexpected OG of around 1065. The previous day I made a manticle cheaparse starter (no stir plate so basically just boil water, cool to 18, add yeast activator packet with 100g dme and whisk, cover and sit, whisking occasionally). The pack was dated may 2009 so going on previous advice from John at GG, I had already smacked it at a rate of half a day for each month since manufacture. The swelling was minimal and there was no krausen on the yeast when it came to pitching time. I have read somewhere that lager yeasts don't show like to show themselves as much so I wasn't overly concerned.

Neither was I overly concerned when a day or two after pitching, I saw no amazing krausen. However today I checked the gravity and it was sitting at 1065. Brew doesn't taste vinegary (tastes a bit like raw sugar) but that seems not so good to me. I had a pack of saflager that I pitched in because I don't want to lose this brew (even if it doesn't make it to the swap). Temp has varied between 10 and 12 over the last few days.

Was I wrong to add the dried?

I's been plannen on bein th fastest damn banjo der is.

I wouldn't say you were wrong to add the dried yeast but when i used this one i think it took a good 4 days to get going.

Mind you it was underpitched, really for lager yeasts of this type a good 2-3 days int the smack pack and then made up in a 2 litre starter would give the optimum yeast count.

You will probably find that by the time the dries stuff takes off the 2278 will ahve kicked into gear.

Kleiny

Ok. Mine might have been underpitched too. For such a high gravity (efficiency must have been beyond expectations) and being a lager I probably should have made the starter earlier and built it up (or paid money I don't have and used 2 packs with the same method). Hopefully this one works out.

I panicked (being a week's ferment in a couple of days without a single point dropping). I feel like a new brewer again. OMG my airlock is stealing my shirts and wearing them on Sundays. Should I buy a new heat belt?

If you wanted the profile of the czech pils, yes. if you dont care... no.

lagers, if underpitched will have a massive lag time if pitched cold. 2-3days ive noticed. upon repitch at the correct pitching rate, they have the same kickoff time as any old ale. Dont be concerned all too much, the beer should turn out fine anyway, jut be glad you have temp control, i believe its teh key to a decent lager mate!

cheers!

Latest posts

Back