Vic Xmas Case Swap 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the ones I've got are reduced bore.

Give them a call, they can probably sort you out with something. Still, any hose-tail connection is going to need to be at least slightly smaller ID than the ID of the hose you're inserting it into.

yeah but a 3mm ID~ compared to a full bore ballvalve of 12mm is a big difference, just pointless spending more on a full bore then there is a severe bottleneck as it stands.

so did you have issues with parts not fitting due to engineering tolerances? as i was planning on getting some kit from beerbelly that was cheaper as i also wanted to get a wort diverter/pickup tube as well as a false bottom.

yeah but a 3mm ID~ compared to a full bore ballvalve of 12mm is a big difference, just pointless spending more on a full bore then there is a severe bottleneck as it stands.

so did you have issues with parts not fitting due to engineering tolerances? as i was planning on getting some kit from beerbelly that was cheaper as i also wanted to get a wort diverter/pickup tube as well as a false bottom.
Will measure the ID of my hose-tail tonight, assuming I remember, but it's definitely > 3mm, probably 10mm.

The bit about the engineering tolerances was that they fit pretty tight, and I've heard that 12mm camlock parts from different manufacturers aren't always compatible with each other. Buying them all at the one time ensure everything should just fit. Geordie don't manufacture the camlocks themselves, so no guarantee that the supplier they're using today will be the same supplier in 12 months time.

I take it you're using threaded fittings? If so, as long as you stick with one thread type you should not have issues. Worth noting too NPT and BSP are compatible for 1/2" sizes (common for us HBer's) but not in other sizes.

Cheers SJ

Good to know supra! I'll have all BSP by the sounds of things anyway.

Fuggit, reduced bore or not there is always going to be a bottleneck with the hosetail and im not concerned about super-ultra-mega fast flow so they should do the job.

i just hope when it comes to the welding my mate doesnt blow a hole the size of the grand canyon in the stainless! :lol:

Hi everybody,

I have just moved to Melbourne from Sydney and am looking to get involved in the Melbourne homebrew scene. I have been AG home brewing for close to 1.5 years and would like to join the case swap. Is it too late or anything?

Also I live in the Brunswick area and Mooroolbark seems like a long way away, is there any public transport out that way or will I have to drive and not sample too much on the day?

:icon_cheers:

Hi everybody,

I have just moved to Melbourne from Sydney and am looking to get involved in the Melbourne homebrew scene. I have been AG home brewing for close to 1.5 years and would like to join the case swap. Is it too late or anything?

Also I live in the Brunswick area and Mooroolbark seems like a long way away, is there any public transport out that way or will I have to drive and not sample too much on the day?

Welcome aboard! Of course you can join in and there are plenty of guys in your neck of the woods that may offer some transport/alternatives.
Dont forget to add yourself to the Wiki thing that I can never find :icon_cheers:

From Brunswick you'll have to head to the CBD, then jump on a (one or 2 of em) Ringwood/croydon/liilydale train.

not to mention i have brewed the following beers not for myself this year.

2x beers for a mates birthday
Club night beer for ANHC.
MB Annual dinner beer.
Xmas in July Swap
and now
Xmas Case Sawp beer.

I'm in the same boat.....and i brew 40 litres...
4 beers for GF day mark 1 ..all gone...had to yell to a brewclub member , who came thru with a keg for part 2-the Pies Win the Premiership !!!!!!!
2 beers for the Westgate Demo day and bus trip......gone
1 beer for Westgate xmas in July...gone
1 beer forANHC club night.... ( conditioning)
4 split batches.... ( 2 cubes still to ferment)
It can sometimes be an expensive hobby for you and absolute gold for everyone else...but i suspect you love the look on people's faces ,when you tell them " i made it.."...i know i do !
HOWEVER...
On Grand final day part1 ( Go Pies !!!) , i put a tip jar next to my 50 x 200ml beer glasses ....
I put 5 cents into it , to kick it off ( that's all i had in my pocket at the time)...
How much , do you reckon was in the tip jar at the end of the day ??

Yep...

FIVE Cents !! LOL :party:

I'm hoping they were too pissed to see the tip jar lol

Cheers
Ferg

Warm beer...i hear ya...i still feel embarassed...but nevertheless...i wasnt the first and i wont be the last lol ! :D

You are legend Ferg.. I already have one skinned up for ya! :ph34r:

Seriously tho, it is a great day to hang out with great people and have great time... whatever happens on the road trip...

Come on people, a good swap is a great day, followed by 28 great beers to experience! From what I have seen anyway....

I have signed up hoping that MXD will brew the same beer he did in xmas in july swap, and 4* will fold and throw a SNCA at us etc.. but if they dont I am out Jokes...

AND, I look forward to [hopefully] making it to a place full of beer, beer brewers, great convo and.... yahtzee! :p

:icon_drunk:

Hi everybody,

If I go to the case swap (be getting a lift with someone else and not sure at this point) I'll give you a hoi. Also happy to meet for a beer or a brewday one day as I'm down the road.

5-6 weeks to go.
Onya bikes and get brewing. The numbers look sensational :icon_cheers: .

Whats for dinner Tails? Any sleeping quarters available?

Planning the usual spit roast and sides ... maybe even a salad or two.

Plenty of room to crash, even a few beds available.

Plenty of room to crash, even a few beds available.

I`ll have her on notice for a p/up justin......

Beer I got no idea. I am pitching to a Marzen and a Pilsner this arvo, I have a Aussie POR Lager storing, a Burton Best Bitter fermentng and have an American Brown planned for Sunday. Hopefully one of those <_<

Thanks all, looking forward to meeting everyone! Just need to decide what to brew... oh and finish unpacking and reassembling all of my brewing gear :)

If I go to the case swap (be getting a lift with someone else and not sure at this point) I'll give you a hoi. Also happy to meet for a beer or a brewday one day as I'm down the road.
A hoi would be great, thanks. A beer or brewday sounds awesome.

:icon_offtopic:
Also any advise on good beer bars and bottleshops would be greatly apreciated too.

Cheers!

Cnr hope street and Melville rd in west brunswick has an unassuming little asian grocer/bottleshop. Good, limited range: sells schofferhoffer, chimay, orval, erdinger, duvel, a variety of Australian micro stuff including white rabbit, a reasonable squire range, some crappy euro lagers, asian lagers, a variety of ciders including three oaks, magners and bulmers and all at very good prices (chimay blue = $7.50)

Further afield but OK if you drive or even ride a bike is the world beer shop at the edge of essondon and brunswick west. Continuation of albion street - actual address is primrose street, essendon. 300 odd beers including rochefort, sam smith's, leffe and many, many more. More expensive but a great range.

Bars - bar etiquette which I haven't been to but is on Sydney Rd. Beer menu is very good. Bar fred in North Carlton would be my pick of the bunch. Nicholson street, North Carlton which is just on the edge of east brunswick (opposite the railway hotel, near brunswick road). Great beer bar (their focus is beer) and knowledgeable staff. Google will find you a menu. Good pizzas too.

Edinburgh castle usually has a couple of decent beers on tap - fresh tasting guiness, three ravens etc. Also some regular rotations.
Brunswick green has a few decent beers in the fridge - three ravens, monteith's etc.

Both the latter are on Sydney Rd.

Cnr hope street and Melville rd in west brunswick has an unassuming little asian grocer/bottleshop. Good, limited range: sells schofferhoffer, chimay, orval, erdinger, duvel, a variety of Australian micro stuff including white rabbit, a reasonable squire range, some crappy euro lagers, asian lagers, a variety of ciders including three oaks, magners and bulmers and all at very good prices (chimay blue = $7.50)

Further afield but OK if you drive or even ride a bike is the world beer shop at the edge of essondon and brunswick west. Continuation of albion street - actual address is primrose street, essendon. 300 odd beers including rochefort, sam smith's, leffe and many, many more. More expensive but a great range.

Bars - bar etiquette which I haven't been to but is on Sydney Rd. Beer menu is very good. Bar fred in North Carlton would be my pick of the bunch. Nicholson street, North Carlton which is just on the edge of east brunswick (opposite the railway hotel, near brunswick road). Great beer bar (their focus is beer) and knowledgeable staff. Google will find you a menu. Good pizzas too.

Edinburgh castle usually has a couple of decent beers on tap - fresh tasting guiness, three ravens etc. Also some regular rotations.
Brunswick green has a few decent beers in the fridge - three ravens, monteith's etc.

Both the latter are on Sydney Rd.

Awesome stuff! thanks manticle, very much apreciated.

better start up those fermenters, its not that long! :rolleyes:

Finally got my brew into the fermenter this evening and hoping for the best Irish Red I've brewed yet; 6 weeks will be tight, but should be able to turn out a decent drop between now and the swap.

Massively hoping that there are a couple of top notch english, scotish or english ales amongst the contributions (am looking for another style to move on to).

Look forward to catching up with you all again. Don't know what i'm brewing yet (have to c if the dark ale in the tub is worth it when i bottle)

Latest posts

Back