Vic Xmas Case Swap 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anybody here needs coopers longnecks for bottling let me know. I have enough to do definitely one and possibly two cases worth. Ithey will require pickup from West Brunswick and a bottle of your finest but in return I guarantee they will be clean. Rinsing and sanitation will be up to you. Let me know via PM - if nothing heard in two days from now, I'll advertise them in my regular thread.

I just put an ESB in the fermenter, it's a new recipe so "here's hoping" it's better than the ESB I put in for Vicbrew.

I put in an English Best which was "as listed and judged" an Aussie Bitter :lol: My faarkyup nevertheless(half cut filling forms in). Probably another lager for me, Gotta keep practising.

Tossing up between an Irish Red (have a cube), a golden ale or an Aussie Pale Ale...decisions, decisions...

5-6 weeks to go. Onya bikes and get brewing.
I was planning to brew a honey/wheat ale, but maybe I should re-brew the Myrtle Weizen from the ANHC comp.
Would you and Chris want/drink a whole bottle of it if I toned down the lemon-myrtle a bit (as per the suggestion in the judging notes)?
If anybody here needs coopers longnecks for bottling let me know.
I brought home 2 back-packs (one each day) full of bottles from VicBrew. :)

Time wise I thought I'd have more, so my "test" batch is now my swap batch - something that can only happen with the numbers as they are (it's not a full-size batch).

It's a Vienna inspired lager, hopped with hersbrucker and (here is the "test" part) some simcoe, hoping the piney notes from the simcoe would make the hersbrucker "pop" a little more, but still trying to be subtle and malty so that it isn't too far off its Vienna roots. It's currently in a cube lagering away @ 1.5 degrees, to be bottled and tested shortly. Samples have tasted good so far, for a lager, which traditionally in my experience haven't tasted great from the fermenter but come good in the bottle.

I may still pull out though. Like I say, it was meant to be a test batch and bottled a few weeks back, giving me time to brew up an actual batch around last week - either to this recipe or my regular tried-and-true vienna lager. If it's sub par, or it doesn't fill enough bottles, I will have to pull out. Fingers crossed either way I'll be able to make the day.

I was planning to brew a honey/wheat ale, but maybe I should re-brew the Myrtle Weizen from the ANHC comp.
Would you and Chris want/drink a whole bottle of it if I toned down the lemon-myrtle a bit (as per the suggestion in the judging notes)?

Either should be very drinkable but there are impatient swappers lurking :D

I`M all for some "clean" washed Ist gen, slants, splits yeast swapping on the day as well.

If it helps Chris, I can bring along my keg convert spit and do some meat, If Leigh brings his spit as well we can cook up plenty!

Looks like Melbourne Brewers are having a club fishing trip the same weekend? Which is a bitch because I like fishing and drinking, this time the xcase wins though.

edit, am also putting my name down for a bed!

Do I go amber ale take 2? Or try something bold? Ideas?

I have my scottish ale for the ANHC club night in a bottle carbing up. I'll try it in a couple of weeks, but its tasting pretty good so far... may be a contender.

November is just too nutz for me to even consider coming along , even as a non-swap attendee...
At least this way , i won't pike early.. :ph34r:
Hope everyone has a great day !
I'll prob be back on board for xmas in july...which i'm still drinking...got 8 and 9 in the fridge...
Cheers
Ferg

From the comments in this thread and elsewhere, there may not be enough interest for 2 per year.
I guess also , Wolfy , i'm secretary of Westgate , Braden and Brendo are involved with Melb brewers...and i'm sure there are others in the swap who are active club members...it can become a bit of a negotiation with SWMBO too...that doesn't help matters...there is alot on the beer calendar....
Ok if its once a year ...so be it...
Cheers
Ferg
BTW...thanks once again for all your efforts with the yeasts...

I guess also , Wolfy , i'm secretary of Westgate , Braden and Brendo are involved with Melb brewers...and i'm sure there are others in the swap who are active club members...it can become a bit of a negotiation with SWMBO too...that doesn't help matters...there is alot on the beer calendar....
Ok if its once a year ...so be it...
Cheers
Ferg
BTW...thanks once again for all your efforts with the yeasts...

not to mention i have brewed the following beers not for myself this year.

2x beers for a mates birthday
Club night beer for ANHC.
MB Annual dinner beer.
Xmas in July Swap
and now
Xmas Case Sawp beer.

6 out of 27 batches this year, 20% going to other people at this stage. i'd just like to knock out a few batches for msyelf, i think brendo is also in the same boat. It akes abit of the fun out of it if you dont get to enjoy most of the fruits.

At the end of the day im committed to this swap and im planning to enter something that most have never sampled. Yes, at this stage im penciling in the Kentucky Common. :beerbang: if that fails, im sure one of the next few english bitters ive got planned wont go astray.

not to mention i have brewed the following beers not for myself this year.

2x beers for a mates birthday
Club night beer for ANHC.
MB Annual dinner beer.
Xmas in July Swap
and now
Xmas Case Sawp beer.

6 out of 27 batches this year, 20% going to other people at this stage. i'd just like to knock out a few batches for msyelf, i think brendo is also in the same boat. It akes abit of the fun out of it if you dont get to enjoy most of the fruits.

At the end of the day im committed to this swap and im planning to enter something that most have never sampled. Yes, at this stage im penciling in the Kentucky Common. :beerbang: if that fails, im sure one of the next few english bitters ive got planned wont go astray.

Hey 4*

Do you do 40 ltr batches or 20 lt ? I've just gone to always doing 40 ltr batches and been brewing excesivaly over the last 6 to 8 weeks and am now in the wonderfull position of 1x9ltr and 4 x 20 ltr kegs (full and conditioning) , 6x19 ltr kegs in progress (3 < half full, 3>80%) and 5 cubes and 1 in the fermenting.

Matt

That's what I need to do, especially now that I have 3 taps and 4 kegs. I just need to brew every opportunity I get. Once I get off my arse and build my hopper/base for my crankandstein, I have no excuse. I have plenty of grain, hops and yeast.

Hey 4*
Do you do 40 ltr batches or 20 lt ? I've just gone to always doing 40 ltr batches and been brewing excesivaly over the last 6 to 8 weeks and am now in the wonderfull position of 1x9ltr and 4 x 20 ltr kegs (full and conditioning) , 6x19 ltr kegs in progress (3 < half full, 3>80%) and 5 cubes and 1 in the fermenting.
Matt

Thanks to the boys that donted some brewing 'vessels' to me, i'll be able to perform 40L batches very soon. Anyone ordered from Geordi for stainless fittings?

Thanks to the boys that donted some brewing 'vessels' to me, i'll be able to perform 40L batches very soon. Anyone ordered from Geordi for stainless fittings?

I have bought stuff from them and also got them to do the welding and some hole drilling stuff. They were good but I thought a little exy on the $ (the hourly rate was fine, it just took longer than I thought or more importantly what they estimated).

If you need something to do a big weekend or weeknights (I found week nights great, set time on HLT mash-in when I get home, start mash-out just before kids bedtime then be all cleaned up (pissed as well) by 10:30pm.) of brewing I may be able to assist, just let me know.

I've got cam-locks, ball-valves and hose clamps, all from Geordie.

Good parts, good service, and an awesome range.

Here's one I prepared earlier

Just make sure to plan ahead and order all your parts at once, you get a better chance of things fitting together incase there are some shifts in their engineering tolerances.

hmm, are their hosetails reduced bore? the one i got from CB'er was so it seems pointless to get full bore valves because of this. The upside is cleaning i guess.

hmm, are their hosetails reduced bore? the one i got from CB'er was so it seems pointless to get full bore valves because of this. The upside is cleaning i guess.
Yeah, the ones I've got are reduced bore.

Give them a call, they can probably sort you out with something. Still, any hose-tail connection is going to need to be at least slightly smaller ID than the ID of the hose you're inserting it into.

I'm in much the same boat mate and will be racing you to get my second 'vessel' converted (it'll be a 50L tun). The prob I have currently is finding somewhere to store these extra cornies (kegerator only holds 3 and the weather is getting too warm to store them in the shed).

Back