Vic Xmas 2009 Case Swap - Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SuperJim,

brought your beer into work to have on a friday afternoon with my work mate... LOVED IT!!! this'll be put into my brew rounds for sure.... cheers.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback on the beer. I thought the hop aroma/flavour could be bumped a bit too, next time i make this I think i'll be increasing the flame out addition and probably giving it a little dry hop late in the fermenter.

Now some feedback of my own:

Chris Taylor - English Pale

I really enjoyed this beer, poured a lovely coppery colour with a good thick head that lasted quite well. Realy nice big malty hit with good amount of earthy hop flavours.

Don Mateo - Hefeweizen

Great wheat beer here Don, nicely restrained phenolics (i really don't like banana flavours in wheat beers and this had none!! so i was happy!!). Carb was high and really good, poured a nice thick head, that slowly dissipated.

Cheers SJ

7. Brendo - Galaxy Amber Ale

Not sure if I had a different beer, but I found this to be quite dark (certainly the dark end of amber), with little hop aroma. Certainly was expecting a lot more prominance from the Galaxy, however it was quite lacking.
Carb and head retention both excellent, some definite chocolate malt character, and a little caramel as well. In the finish, I got a quite distinct sour/mineral flavour, particularly noticable as it warmed. It reminded me of the taste of a yeast starter with a liberal dose of yeast nutrient. I wonder if this has anything to do with the 2tbsp of 5.2pH stabiliser? Seems like a lot to have used with Melbourne water. I recall at ANHC the 5star rep talking about the likelyhood of tasting it if it were used at the recommended dose (1tsp per 20 Ltrs) with soft water.

Sorry Brendo - I'm being brutally honest, and just taking a guess here - not sure if this is what I'm tasting in your beer.
On the positive, there were certainly no adverse fermentation issues to note, it was well balanced and nicely presented, though I found it somewhat hard to get past the mineral aftertaste.
Cheers,
Hutch.

no need to apologise mate - honesty is what it is all about. As far as the 5.2 goes it was used at the correct rate given that it was a double batch - so not sure about that one. Was maybe a little heavy handed with other water treatments. Will be tasting it again tonight and keep an eye out for it.

Had a bottle on the weekend and it was still pretty hoppy - maybe yours was a dud bottle. Either way - sorry mate.

Brendo

no need to apologise mate - honesty is what it is all about. As far as the 5.2 goes it was used at the correct rate given that it was a double batch - so not sure about that one. Was maybe a little heavy handed with other water treatments. Will be tasting it again tonight and keep an eye out for it.

Had a bottle on the weekend and it was still pretty hoppy - maybe yours was a dud bottle. Either way - sorry mate.

Brendo
The recipe certainly looks the goods, and I'm a big fan of Galaxy.
As for water modification, I've used the 5.2 product in a couple of brews, though at a very low rate (something like 1 teaspoon per 20Ltrs), and don't think it imparted any noticable flavours. This small amount seemed to easily maintain the right mash pH (pale beers typically).

These days I just go with the few grams of CaCl and CaSO4, as you've done, to get the Ca into the mash, and reduced the pH.

The recipe certainly looks the goods, and I'm a big fan of Galaxy.
As for water modification, I've used the 5.2 product in a couple of brews, though at a very low rate (something like 1 teaspoon per 20Ltrs), and don't think it imparted any noticable flavours. This small amount seemed to easily maintain the right mash pH (pale beers typically).

These days I just go with the few grams of CaCl and CaSO4, as you've done, to get the Ca into the mash, and reduced the pH.

Thanks mate... a PH meter or similar is on the horizon to be added to next year's brewing routine.

Cheers,

Brendo

OK, been a bit of a slacker with reviews. Tried a couple with another swapper, but was a bit drunk and was a while ago, so will wait till I try them again out of my swap.

Otherwise had 4*, and enjoyed it. Don't have the skilz to add anything more than others have. But seemed like a session beer.

Notung - bloodorange honey hefeweizen - enjoyed this beer. Didn't really notice much in the way of blood orange, and honey, would probably up the quantities if you want these to shine (but not needed imo). Only problem with it was that it needed more carbonation. (thinking I read that 4* let out some carb <_< , oh well, saved a "possible" bottle bomb))

I reckon I may have tried at least 1 more, but can't remember...

Only problem with it was that it needed more carbonation. (thinking I read that 4* let out some carb <_< , oh well, saved a "possible" bottle bomb))

I had mine when i resealed them all and they all let out a marginal fizz like they where not really carbed. It was low on carbonation when i had it so i will assume it has not done much on the carbonation front since then anyway. May have been a dodgy bulk prime.

I had mine when i resealed them all and they all let out a marginal fizz like they where not really carbed. It was low on carbonation when i had it so i will assume it has not done much on the carbonation front since then anyway. May have been a dodgy bulk prime.

All good mate!

23. Brewmeister70 - Ringwood Special Bitter

Aroma: 7/12

Subtle malt and subdued hop aroma combines. Very evenly balanced.

Some fruity esters also subdued.

Appearance 3/3

Gold, clear with small with persistent head.

Flavour 16/20

Slightly sweet malt up front combines nicely with subtle hop flavour, perfectly finished balancing bitterness giving a dry impression and reloading the palate ready for the next mouthful.

Some subtle fruit esters to round it out.

It is amazing how this beer seems to come in a wave over the palate, seamlessly flowing from one area to the next.

As it warms up, the influence of the ringwood ale yeast is really starting to become more noticeable.

Mouthfeel 4/5

Slight alcohol warmth

Low carbonation

Low to medium body

Overall Impression 7/10

I really like this beer, and am a great fan of the ringwood ale yeast.

My only criticism as a special bitter is the subdued nature of the flavour and aroma hops. Maybe add some more late hops, or even a hop tea post primary fermentation to bring them to the forefront a bit more.

The hallmark of this example is balance, and it comes across as a fantastic session beer.

37/50

hey chris would you be able to score my beer for me ? just intrested to see thanks mate

hey chris would you be able to score my beer for me ? just intrested to see thanks mate

hmmm .. bit hard to do the detailed break down after the fact ( I'm not doing that for those did not put up their hand in the early posts ), but from memory last night, pretty sure it ticked all the boxes and then some.

Looks like you have navigated around most of the "traps" in this style. A lot of examples come out with a very high FG and end up very cloying. Another trap is not enough hops (especially bittering) to balance out all that malt.

If your one was in a comp would come down to splitting hairs against the other top entries. Would expect at least high 30's up to mid 40's depending on the variation in judges, serving order etc.

Don't know if you saw my review but it was a cracking beer and I think you should chuck one in just for laughs.

cheers chris ive still got a few bottles so might enter it somewhere

well only one way to find out ... I hear there is a good little comp coming up in Feb that might be able to accommodate you ;)

* big disclaimer, I take no responsibility for judges having a completely different opinion from me, and quite often they do :p *

ARRGG! I somehow closed the tab, and lost my post.

Had wonderwoman's summer ale. Nice arvo drinker. I'm not sure if I like Nelson Sauvon hops yet. The few beers that I've drunk with them, seem to be a little sour or something. However, you seemed to balance that out OK. After looking at the recipe thread, I see that it's k & b, so an even better job! Well done.

Then did a lucky dip and got HOD's Imperial Stout. Manticles description of the color was pretty spot on! I just kept thinking the word "epic" while drinking this. Nice beer. Must say, I put aside half of it to drink later in the night, as I needed to keg some stuff and didn't want it to blow my head off, and had the rest as a night cap. Nice one mate.

My only criticism as a special bitter is the subdued nature of the flavour and aroma hops. Maybe add some more late hops, or even a hop tea post primary fermentation to bring them to the forefront a bit more.

Thanks for the review Chris. With so many things being new ingredients to me on this beer, I thought it might be a good idea to tone down the hop flavour and aroma so as to not drown out the malt character I was shooting for with the Ringwood yeast especially.

Hopefully, that's part of the reason it so balanced and sessionable but I expect it would not score too well in comp up against hoppier beers but I'm pleased with this one. :D

#14: Sappas: Alt

Pours with a creamy white head which thins and remains.

Slightly murky deep orange/amber

Aroma is all malt (biscuits and bread)

Carbonation is mild (I prefer this).

Flavour is bready, slightly grainy (like I'm chewing grain or smelling the mash). No idea how to style that is but to my mind it's lovely. This is really fresh tasting beer.

No massive residual sweetness despite the maltiness. Very mild lingering bitterness, very little up front hoppiness. Medium - full body, full mouthfeel, aided by the low/medium carb.

Considering how far out from the swap you brewed this, I think you've created a great beer that you should think about brewing again. The only other alt I've tried was one from this swap which had an infection so my familiarity with it is next to none but judged purely as a beer, it's great.

6 CM2 Aussie Gold

considering im not a big fan of POR i really like this beer it has nice malt bitterness balance with a lager smooth mouthfeel & finish well done mate :)

#14: Sappas: Alt

Considering how far out from the swap you brewed this, I think you've created a great beer that you should think about brewing again. The only other alt I've tried was one from this swap which had an infection so my familiarity with it is next to none but judged purely as a beer, it's great.

Totally agree. I drank this without even reading which one it was, thoroughly enjoyed it, then was surprised when I went back to my printed list to see it was an "Alt". Last Altbier I tried was on tap in a microbrewery in Michigan, USA and it was very dark with coffee tones. Better read up on the style now!!

Totally agree. I drank this without even reading which one it was, thoroughly enjoyed it, then was surprised when I went back to my printed list to see it was an "Alt". Last Altbier I tried was on tap in a microbrewery in Michigan, USA and it was very dark with coffee tones. Better read up on the style now!!

I read the bjcp style guidelines (which I don't take as gospel) after drinking/reviewing and the Northern German Altbier section seemed to describe this beer fairly well.

#26: Kenlock: Bright Ale

I've done well. This is my last beer of the swap and I've remembered to review each one, drink out of a clean, rinsed glass and try each as my first beer (or second where I've tried two swap beers in one sitting) so I think I deserve a prize. Anyone who has left over swap beers should send them to me.

I would also like a hat.

Anyway:

Pours with a fluffy head that very quickly dissipates to almost nothing.

Bright does not really describe it - this is very murky. Golden hue.

Aroma is fruit with a hint of grain/bready malt.

Carbonation is moderate, mouthfeel medium/full.

Flavour is mainly hop fruit, mildly citrus, not much lingering bitterness.

Quite an enjoyable beer - almost dessert like. I would suggest that it needs a touch more bitterness to balance the fruitiness and as with all hoppy-ish beers, maybe a bit more malt backbone to balance the hops. I enjoy this level of carbonation and mouthfeel. I guess being called 'bright' there's an expectation of clarity but this is not something that troubles me massively.

Cheers everyone for your offerings. I hope to drink your beers again in future and will be happy to offer some of mine in return.

Back