Vic Xmas 2009 Case Swap - Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Manticle - it is the same recipe, but I tricked up the hops a little.

It is interesting as the kegged version is more in your face with the hop profile and more aroma too - I will have to try another bottle shortly.

As for the taste - it is not your imagination - I believe it is a character of the galaxy hops. It is almost green apple - but definitely not acetylaldehyde but rather something I find consistently with the hop regardless of age and conditioning of the beer.

Either way - glad you enjoyed it and def up for the comparison at some stage.

Cheers

brendo

Being generally keener on malt than a whack in the face with a hop boot, I was not disappointed.

17a. Zebba - "Redcoats" IPA

Thick moussy head, hazy copper to gold in appearance
Score:1.5/3

soapy phenolics, light tin/metal aroma, some malt, not much else.
Score:4/12

Metallic and soapy palate, some sweet malt present, smooth botterness but cannot get past the unfortunate infection. Hop characteristics are too masked by the off flavours, sorry. Finish is somewhat 'clean'
Score: 7/20

Thin to moderate mody, high carbonation, some hop astringency in the finish.
Score: 2/5

An unfortunate infection has ruined this beer. I used to have a similar infection profile w/long term bottle storage that i can only put down to not thoroughly cleaning and sanitising my bottles/equiptment at this stage. I will assume its an issue with your bottling process. In future, ensue all equiptment is thoroughly cleaned and sanisied to avoid this bottle infection. I had a perception of the recipe somwbhat in the flavour. The unfortunate issue is this kind of infection strips all of the qualities of this beer and its hard to pick the key features of an IPA thru this problem. I hope this feedback helps for future bottling.
Score: 2/10

Overall 16.5/50

Yeah I know what you mean Manticle - just interesting how the hops aren't as prominent in the bottle when compared to a keg.

7. Brendo - Galaxy Amber Ale

Aroma 7/12

Citrus, piney hop

Some background malt, but expect more for an amber ale

No esters

Apperance 3/3

Deep gold, persistant off white head, clear

Flavour 14/20

Dominant hop flavour same as aroma, citrus piney with a hint of passionfruit.

Medium bitterness, very balanced

Bready malt sweetness but not out of balance with hops, would expect more for this style

Dry finish

Clean, with no noticable fruity esters

Mouthfill 4/5

Medium to full bodied, great finish with loads of hop oil to help it slide down the pallate.

Overall Impression 7/10

Great beer Brendo. Really enjoyed it. For me this came across a lot more like an APA them an AAA. Think it needs a bit more pale crystal to try and break through the high hopping rate.

35/50

Thanks Chris - glad you enjoyed it mate. I agree with you - I would put it at the top end of the scale for an APA rather than an amber.

Cheers

brendo

#17a - mid range IPA, good hop bite, decent maltiness... but too fruity for me (S-04 yeah?)
Yes

An unfortunate infection has ruined this beer. I used to have a similar infection profile w/long term bottle storage that i can only put down to not thoroughly cleaning and sanitising my bottles/equiptment at this stage. I will assume its an issue with your bottling process. In future, ensue all equiptment is thoroughly cleaned and sanisied to avoid this bottle infection. I had a perception of the recipe somwbhat in the flavour. The unfortunate issue is this kind of infection strips all of the qualities of this beer and its hard to pick the key features of an IPA thru this problem. I hope this feedback helps for future bottling.
Took that advice after Kleiny had the same problem. Last bottling run involved sodium perc, a power drill and bottlebrush, then idophur. Fingers crossed.

And my apologies.

12. Hairofthedog - imperial stout -

This beer is black as the ace of spades with a creamy yet quickly dissipating head.

Aroma-wise I got a strong sensation of burnt licorice-flavoured ice cream. Don't get the wrong idea though - it is very pleasant!

The first thing that hit me when I sipped this beer was the full body and treacly sweet taste. It is slightly roasty. There are beautiful malt notes in this brew. A possible downfall may be that I hoped for slightly more malt complexity but I'm not sure if this is a requirement of an imperial stout in style guidelines or whatever. I think my favourite thing about this beer is the subtle hopping. I liked how you swallow your sip and as the sweetness fades the hops colonise your palate in a gentle yet overt way.

Overall this has been my favourite beer of the swap so far. I just love these kind of beers, and this particular one was delicious. I enjoyed it with chocolate for dessert, then drank the leftovers as I brewed this afternoon. HOTD, can you tell us more about the recipe? Was it an extract brew or all grain? What hops are they? How long have you been aging this?

Thanks a lot! :icon_cheers:

#24 - WW's summer ale has been one of my faves.... do you have any left to perhaps swap with ??

thanks! unfortunately none left at the moment (2 other batches all gone after my birthday party last weekend), but I should have more on tap about mid-jan... your welcome to come over for a sample then and to admire my keg setup :D

24 WW summer ale

top job WW really enjoyed this beer not a lot of malt flavor but a awesome hop combo summers day winner :icon_cheers:

12. Hairofthedog - imperial stout -

This beer is black as the ace of spades with a creamy yet quickly dissipating head.

Aroma-wise I got a strong sensation of burnt licorice-flavoured ice cream. Don't get the wrong idea though - it is very pleasant!

The first thing that hit me when I sipped this beer was the full body and treacly sweet taste. It is slightly roasty. There are beautiful malt notes in this brew. A possible downfall may be that I hoped for slightly more malt complexity but I'm not sure if this is a requirement of an imperial stout in style guidelines or whatever. I think my favourite thing about this beer is the subtle hopping. I liked how you swallow your sip and as the sweetness fades the hops colonise your palate in a gentle yet overt way.

Overall this has been my favourite beer of the swap so far. I just love these kind of beers, and this particular one was delicious. I enjoyed it with chocolate for dessert, then drank the leftovers as I brewed this afternoon. HOTD, can you tell us more about the recipe? Was it an extract brew or all grain? What hops are they? How long have you been aging this?

Thanks a lot! :icon_cheers:

thanks for the kind review notung yeah it is all grain its been aged about 12 months the hops are green bullet & if i can find the recipe ill post it

12. Hairofthedog - imperial stout

Oh boy oh boy oh boy .. is it really true .. a RIS in the case swap :icon_drool2: .. it really must be xmas!!

Tons and tons of roast followed by molasses, liquorice all off the aroma.

Black, and opaque, small dark tan head.

Absolutely bucket-loads of roast with an appreciable malt backbone, perfectly balanced by the stout trademark bitterness, all smoothed over by appreciable amount of alcohol.

Think this is going to take me the rest of the night to get through, but a great follow up to the Imperial Kolsch I had early .. maybe this is going to be an early night ;)

Fantastic beer Hairofthedog. Hard to see anyone topping it from here (and yes this would have to be one of my favorite styles)

13. Notung - bloodorange honey hefeweizen

Mine had almost no carbonation at all (I did crack it and re-seal after your warning). Shame, as with carbonation I would have loved this. I've had very little experience with this style, but I can see that there is stuff here I'd like, but it needs carb. Some nice flavours there - can really taste the honey (in a good way). I think Chris Taylor said it right earlier when he said with a little tweaking we'd have a winner.

13. Notung - bloodorange honey hefeweizen

Mine had almost no carbonation at all (I did crack it and re-seal after your warning). Shame, as with carbonation I would have loved this. I've had very little experience with this style, but I can see that there is stuff here I'd like, but it needs carb. Some nice flavours there - can really taste the honey (in a good way). I think Chris Taylor said it right earlier when he said with a little tweaking we'd have a winner.

Thanks heaps for the feedback Zebba. I have noticed the same thing with my bottles of the hefe. Listen, I think I'm never going to much around with bulk priming again. It has failed me bad!!! I agree that the honey is present. A bit lighter in the body and much higher carbonation for the next one. Cheers.

17. Supra Jim - American Pale Ale
Aroma 7/12

Some hops, but fairly low level. Citrus, piney.

Sweet malt, (doughy bready)

No noticeable yeast esters.

Appearance 2/3

Very slight haze, gold colour, persistent white head, some lacing.

Flavour 13/20

Pleasant but somewhat restrained hop character, with good supporting malt. Slight phenolic most probably hop derived.

Slight harshness in the finish ( could be fermentation issue maybe, or hops still needing some time to age a bit )

Low to moderate bitterness

Dry with slightly harsh finish.

Mouth feel 3/5

Medium body

Medium to high carbonation (good for this style)

Noticeable alcohol

Overall Impression 7/10

Interesting choice of hops, and very easy drinking. More towards the lawn mower end for this style (personally how I prefer them) but would not stand out in a competition (I judge APAs at Beerfest last year). If you want to brew this style for comps I would add some hop tea (french press) hops to add a bit more kick on the flavour aroma side. Also has the benefit of smoothing out the dry finish a bit. The only downside is that you may lose a bit on the clarity, but nothing a bit of settling time won't clear up.

Some minor technical faults. Finished a tad too dry, which also lends a little harshness.

No fermentation issues, very clean.

Overall very refreshing, perfect for a summers evening.

32/50

7. Brendo - Galaxy Amber Ale

Not sure if I had a different beer, but I found this to be quite dark (certainly the dark end of amber), with little hop aroma. Certainly was expecting a lot more prominance from the Galaxy, however it was quite lacking.
Carb and head retention both excellent, some definite chocolate malt character, and a little caramel as well. In the finish, I got a quite distinct sour/mineral flavour, particularly noticable as it warmed. It reminded me of the taste of a yeast starter with a liberal dose of yeast nutrient. I wonder if this has anything to do with the 2tbsp of 5.2pH stabiliser? Seems like a lot to have used with Melbourne water. I recall at ANHC the 5star rep talking about the likelyhood of tasting it if it were used at the recommended dose (1tsp per 20 Ltrs) with soft water.

Sorry Brendo - I'm being brutally honest, and just taking a guess here - not sure if this is what I'm tasting in your beer.
On the positive, there were certainly no adverse fermentation issues to note, it was well balanced and nicely presented, though I found it somewhat hard to get past the mineral aftertaste.
Cheers,
Hutch.

2. Maple - Rye IPA

It's a Rye-volution! Lovely IPA Dave.
Abundent US C-hops, nice sweet malt character, great lingering bitterness, and very restrained higher alcohols. Exceptionally well made, I absolutely love the hop combination - I will definitely be hunting down this recipe! Probably the best swap beer for me so far.
Stellar!
Hutch.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback on the beer. I thought the hop aroma/flavour could be bumped a bit too, next time i make this I think i'll be increasing the flame out addition and probably giving it a little dry hop late in the fermenter.

Now some feedback of my own:

Chris Taylor - English Pale

I really enjoyed this beer, poured a lovely coppery colour with a good thick head that lasted quite well. Realy nice big malty hit with good amount of earthy hop flavours.

Don Mateo - Hefeweizen

Great wheat beer here Don, nicely restrained phenolics (i really don't like banana flavours in wheat beers and this had none!! so i was happy!!). Carb was high and really good, poured a nice thick head, that slowly dissipated.

Cheers SJ

Latest posts

Back