Vic Xmas 2009 Case Swap - Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
17b Zebba - redcoats IPA

poured with good head, and had good head retention. a bit cloudy. lovely aroma... the aroma was so good that I was a bit disappointed by the flavour at first. I didn't think it was bitter enough for an IPA, but enjoyable nonetheless
That's strange as IanH's SS had it sitting @ mid-60's in the IBU stakes. I wonder if this is 'cause I was a little stingy on the late hopping (i.e. 20 to zero minute additions)? (Almost) all the bittering came from Simcoe @ 60 mins, and after comparing the bitterness from Simcoe to other hops I've used for bittering (notably Nugget & Amarillo), Simcoe seems to come out much "smoother". The brew I bittered with Amarillo, for example, was estimated to be 30IBU, but the bitterness seemed to hit the back of the throat more than the ones I've done with Simcoe which were bitter but not in that "cat scratching the back of your neck" way...

Thanks for the feedback.

Hey fourstar just cracked your swap and it was funky as all hell. Upon closer inspection of the bottle i found a huge brown ring around the opening in the bottle. The bottle cap must have rusted. Spewing as i was looking forward to it bad in this 40c+ heat. Just letting you know.

Hey fourstar just cracked your swap and it was funky as all hell. Upon closer inspection of the bottle i found a huge brown ring around the opening in the bottle. The bottle cap must have rusted. Spewing as i was looking forward to it bad in this 40c+ heat. Just letting you know.

It's a bit late to be asking for a refund... :p

21. Hutch - Nelson Sauvin pseudo-lager

Lots of NS hops in the aroma, predominantly passionfruit with a hint of peaches, some malt sweetness, no appreciable yeast esters

White head that did not persist. Cloudy, light gold colour.

Light and refreshing

Balanced towards bitter.

Very high carbonation, seems to work well with the light body although in combination with the bitterness adds a slight sharpness to the finish. Some noticeable alcohol.

Perfect for a hot summer evening.

Sure it was mine?!? i can only remember bottling them in PET. unless i had one or two in glass?! (mine was swap #5) Either way it sucks having an infected bottle in the batch. Nothin worse than a rusted bottle cap. :( Sorry dude. I guess i got you back for your infected batch! :p

it had #5 on the cap on brown tape i think. but your right it was a proper glass coopers 750ml and not a plastic but i looked three times at the number and i swear it was a 5. apperance was nice and light to so yea i thout it def looked like a lager..you sure you dont remember bottling in a glass 750 coopers?

it had #5 on the cap on brown tape i think. but your right it was a proper glass coopers 750ml and not a plastic but i looked three times at the number and i swear it was a 5. apperance was nice and light to so yea i thout it def looked like a lager..you sure you dont remember bottling in a glass 750 coopers?

Was it a swap beer hanging around since the X-Mas in July Swap? (If 4* is sure that he didn't use any bottles)

mystery solved. found yours 4* in a plastic pet with a yellow dot and #5 on it. should of just said it had a yellow dot and not brown tape on the cap! call me spastic. looking fwd to it.

mystery solved. found yours 4* in a plastic pet with a yellow dot and #5 on it. should of just said it had a yellow dot and not brown tape on the cap! call me spastic. looking fwd to it.

Phew! So, who's was it then? brown tape?!? :blink:

Phew! So, who's was it then? brown tape?!? :blink:

I'm thinking it was:
15. Don Mateo - Hefeweizen

I say this as the one that I got had brown tape, and it was 15. So maybe the 1 got rubbed off? However, the one that I had was in a plastic PET bottle, but had 4*'s label from the previous swap. I also pulled it out, and saw 4* AIPA, and poured and drank, and it was not an AIPA. Then looked up 15, and saw a Hefeweizen. No wonder Fent didn't like it :p

The cap had been reused a couple of times, as it had a 16 on tape below the brown tape that had 15. Come on, caps aren't expensive. :ph34r: (unless it was because people dropped out, and you moved a number)

17a. Zebba - "Redcoats" IPA

Piney fruity resin like, great hop profile.

Either getting a slight oxidized malt aroma, and some indications of it in the flavour as well, or its residual yeast still in suspension. Giving the cloudiness it could just be the yeast.

Cloudy deep gold colour with good persistent off white head. Slight lacing.

Firm bitterness helps to finish it out.

Medium body, medium high carbonation, good creamy texture. Some noticeable warming from the alcohol

Good robust IPA Zebba

well 4*'s beer went down a treat yesterday and maticles porter was the goods too, needed a bit ore grunt though manticle imo.

Had Hutch's Nelson Sauvin Psuedo Lager the other day. Cracking beer. Only negative was I shared it with someone else instead of keeping it all to myself.

A couple of people have mentioned that. Got one bottled at the moment that mashed a degree or so hotter and seems to be ok.

Cheers for feedback.

Back