Vic X-mas In July 2009 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood size, I've only got one of those little portable things....Can't remember what they're called!!

It is made of slats of metal, and shaped like a djembe drum. Also got a webber that we could use as another fire pit.

HAHA, nice one Katie!

I just tried my swap beer, and it is undercarbonated. I've brought it inside as it has been a little cold out the shed. I'll try another one during the week to work out when they will be carbed up and ready to drink.

I'm off to get glasses now. Getting close!

I've got a LCPA attempt in 2 fermenter's now, ready to keg tonight. One I dry hopped, so i can see the difference.

If anyone needs to drop stuff off, just PM me to arrange a time. There is generally someone home. Otherwise one of my housemates manages the bottle shop at the end of my street, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind if a couple dropped it off there during the day if it's more convienient. (and he sells lots of craft/micro's too... ;-P)

Anyway look forward to seeing you all on Saturday! (and drinking your beers...)

sorting for a few hours...
mate if it takes you a couple of hours to sort your gonna get fired form the job and made beer gopher all night! 45-60min job max (hopefully). there's always a few helpers.

just remember to do it early on. lots of pissed blokes dont sort well :beerbang:

says the man that caused ALL the drama's last swap by "accidentlly forgetting" to bring out a case ;)

says the man that caused ALL the drama's last swap by "accidentlly forgetting" to bring out a case ;)

As usual my slack ass hasn't bottled yet :S, guessing I'm going to have to buy a keg in the next couple of days so I can force carb, and then bottle from the keg.
Anyone got bottling tips, from the keg.
I've just got a picnic/bronco tap currently. Should I over carb it much?
Being a mild i don't need much carb in the final product.

Cheers
Q

no clues Q but im glad you asked the question. i was just going to wing it (ive never done it before either so it will be my first time also). but now i can watch the replies.

edit: Q I could loan you a keg. Ive got a few sitting spare. you coming over the eastern burbs in the next day or so? I cant really fit a keg on the back of the motorbike so I cant bring it into work

As usual my slack ass hasn't bottled yet :S, guessing I'm going to have to buy a keg in the next couple of days so I can force carb, and then bottle from the keg.
I've just got a picnic/bronco tap currently. Should I over carb it much?
Being a mild i don't need much carb in the final product.

Cheers
Q

Just bottle it per the norm and just make people aware it wont be ready for drinking for a month

Rook

Q if bottling from keg - chill all your bottles before to minimise foaming. also have the serving pressure down real low and tip the bottle on a 45 degree angle if you can manage it. it will loose a bit of carb so maybe over carb it a tad or whatever you thinks to style.

Wood size, I've only got one of those little portable things....Can't remember what they're called!!

Crikey! I read that all wrong!!! :ph34r:

I know the ones you mean, I'll bring a barrow load of smallish pre-split wood.

Q if bottling from keg - chill all your bottles before to minimise foaming. also have the serving pressure down real low and tip the bottle on a 45 degree angle if you can manage it. it will loose a bit of carb so maybe over carb it a tad or whatever you thinks to style.

Oh if its PET its all good. I got away with them at room temp as the inner wall is smooth on the bottle so it should be fine, I degas my keg and add co2 until i hear it flowing in from the regulator then leaving it at the lowest setting. i can fill with marginal foaming(1 inch of foam b/w the cap and fill line). I also purge all of my bottles with co2 1st so they are blanketed once you pop the cap on. almost as good as a CPBF! :ph34r:

This was done all with a bronco tap BTW. Oh and before pouring your 1st bottle, pour yourself a beer. i usually find the 1st bit from the tap foams and this has a cascading effect for the rest of the beer making its way into the bottle.

I also purge all of my bottles with co2 1st

If you don't mind me asking fourstar how do you manage to purge your bottles if you don't have a CPBF? I'm a bit puzzled. I wouldn't mind knowing for future reference.

Warren -

If you don't mind me asking fourstar how do you manage to purge your bottles if you don't have a CPBF? I'm a bit puzzled. I wouldn't mind knowing for future reference.
Warren -

Pretty simple actually. Taking the notion that CO2 is heavier than oxygen, I disconnect my gas post (damn i love JG quick release fittings). Stick the gas tube from the regulator deep into the bottle, crank the reg to around 100kpa and turn the bottle on. You will actually hear the air being pushed out from a sharp whistle to a deep drone as it becomes CO2 against CO2. Then i simply leave the bottles next to me in the coopers box etc whilst i begin my bottling. i do everything in a draft-free area so majority fo the co2 should stay in the bottles without any issues.

Now i know this isnt as good as CPBF and im not considering it as a replacment. But the difference between O2 in the headspace with my method is it really that much of an issue? Im sure there would be a crapload more from beer that is bottle conditioned direct from the fermenter compared to mine.

My main concern is the beer coming in contact with O2 while she fills. IMO, once you pop the lid on, any O2 in the headspace will be pushed up against the bottle top as some CO2 comes out of solution from the beer.

All of my processes post fermentation get this CO2 hit. Empty transfer keg gets purged when kegging from the fermenter. Bottles when bottling from the keg/fermenter, same deal. Keg to Keg transfer, Recieving keg gets the same.

Cheers!

The brewday needs some organising at this point.

Who is bringing a cube to take home some nice wort?
This will give me numbers for recipes.

It looks like a DrS Golden Ale and a Green bullet smash.
All those who have Amarillo or Green Bullet Hopes please bring them
I can Contribute 10-15kg or Trad ale (we need some more), 5kg wheat (probably enough) and what ever caramalt (probably enough).
We need from those who want wort to bring some more malt (ale malt, munich malt)
If all above bring their hops we should be right for them.

Once i have numbers we can work out what ingredients were short on.

Fill in your name and cube below.

DrSGA

Green Bullett Smash
Kleiny 20L cube

The brewday needs some organising at this point.

Who is bringing a cube to take home some nice wort?
This will give me numbers for recipes.

It looks like a DrS Golden Ale and a Green bullet smash.
All those who have Amarillo or Green Bullet Hopes please bring them
I can Contribute 10-15kg or Trad ale (we need some more), 5kg wheat (probably enough) and what ever caramalt (probably enough).
We need from those who want wort to bring some more malt (ale malt, munich malt)
If all above bring their hops we should be right for them.

Once i have numbers we can work out what ingredients were short on.

Fill in your name and cube below.

DrSGA
Warm Beer - 17lt cube - Don't have any malt to contribute (not AG yet), was thinking of bringing Pork Ribs instead to make up for it :icon_drool2:

Green Bullett Smash
Kleiny 20L cube

Edit - speeling mistak

no clues Q but im glad you asked the question. i was just going to wing it (ive never done it before either so it will be my first time also). but now i can watch the replies.

edit: Q I could loan you a keg. Ive got a few sitting spare. you coming over the eastern burbs in the next day or so? I cant really fit a keg on the back of the motorbike so I cant bring it into work

Thanks for the offer CM, i've got to get more kegs anyway... this might as well be the cause.
That and k rudd just gave me some dosh finally.

Q

I'll take some of the DrS Golden Ale (I haven't tried it yet).

I've got some JW Wheat/Trad Ale/Pilsner from grain BB, so I can pick up the slack there. But don't have any specialty grains.

DrSGA
Warm Beer - 17lt cube - Don't have any malt to contribute (not AG yet), was thinking of bringing Pork Ribs instead to make up for it :icon_drool2:
beerDingo - whatever amount...

Green Bullett Smash
Kleiny 20L cube

Oh yeah, I don't have a mill to crush grains yet, so if one of the brewers isn't bringing one, I could hastle hairOfTheDog to bring his along... Shall I start hastling?

Oh yeah, I don't have a mill to crush grains yet, so if one of the brewers isn't bringing one, I could hastle hairOfTheDog to bring his along... Shall I start hastling?

Im bringing my mill loaded in the back of the ute with the brewrig

I could donate 4kg of pils malt if its of any use. i wont be partaking in the brew day but happy to offer it up.

Oh, i also forgot in my post. Get your keg as cold as you possibly can. Essentially 0. The colder it is, the less foaming you will encounter.

Back