Vic X-mas In July 2009 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies if it was mentioned in the previous 16 pages, but is the swap still PET only?

reVox

Interested in a 17L cube of GB SMASH, how much of what malt do you want from me? I can go see Dave on the way.

Apologies if it was mentioned in the previous 16 pages, but is the swap still PET only?

reVox

Ha! thats the funniest thing ive read all day! Unfortunatly NO PET this swap, it was decided on Champage bottles only!

Acutally no, as long as the vessel holds atleast 700-750ml, be it glass, plastic, cling film, ice cream container. It holds pressure and is foodsafe.... use it!

Pretty simple actually. Taking the notion that CO2 is heavier than oxygen, I disconnect my gas post (damn i love JG quick release fittings). Stick the gas tube from the regulator deep into the bottle, crank the reg to around 100kpa and turn the bottle on. You will actually hear the air being pushed out from a sharp whistle to a deep drone as it becomes CO2 against CO2. Then i simply leave the bottles next to me in the coopers box etc whilst i begin my bottling. i do everything in a draft-free area so majority fo the co2 should stay in the bottles without any issues.

Now i know this isnt as good as CPBF and im not considering it as a replacment. But the difference between O2 in the headspace with my method is it really that much of an issue? Im sure there would be a crapload more from beer that is bottle conditioned direct from the fermenter compared to mine.

My main concern is the beer coming in contact with O2 while she fills. IMO, once you pop the lid on, any O2 in the headspace will be pushed up against the bottle top as some CO2 comes out of solution from the beer.

All of my processes post fermentation get this CO2 hit. Empty transfer keg gets purged when kegging from the fermenter. Bottles when bottling from the keg/fermenter, same deal. Keg to Keg transfer, Recieving keg gets the same.

Cheers!

Jeebus that is thorough! :eek: Why not just fill with a bit of gas line pushed up the tap? Purging every bottle would take you an eon.

I hope you sanitise the gas tube if you're sticking it in the bottle. :lol:

Warren -

as long as the vessel holds atleast 700-750ml, be it glass, plastic, cling film, ice cream container. It holds pressure and is foodsafe.... use it!
your all getting icecream containers now!!! and theres gonna be covered in glad wrap!

your all getting icecream containers now!!! and theres gonna be covered in glad wrap!

I've done mine completely in gladwrap and frozen them. I shall fire them using a slingshot from my car over the fence and into the swap party. If it's crap beer we can at least have a snowball fight.

Leaving all the brewing stuff to Kleiny and Hutch, will still bring my gear tho.

Jeebus that is thorough! :eek: Why not just fill with a bit of gas line pushed up the tap? Purging every bottle would take you an eon.
I hope you sanitise the gas tube if you're sticking it in the bottle. :lol:
Warren -

The OD of my gas line is not wide enough to fit into my tap. A micron too thin. Honestly, the process is not that bad, roughly 2-3 mins. It only takes around 5 sec's of gas until its saturated. As i said, i do it all before bottling. Not purge, bottle, cap, pack, purge, bottle cap etc etc.

How easy my bottling process was, it makes me want to buy up on PET for bottling from now on. Sterile containers, packaged and ready to go. no washing, scrubbing and sanitising and then capping. The cleaning process for bottles alone is enough to make me quit.

The whole sequence of purging, bottling + capping and packing my swap beers was 35 mins~. Thats includes the cleanup!

And yes, my line is sanitary. I dipped it in the beer dregs on the fridge floor before purging :p

Kleiny, I can do an additional 10-15kg Pils (JW and Powels), though not much in the way of specialty, as I'm low on this front.
Also, I can do 300gm Amarillo, which should cover us for DrSGA, as well as 90gm fresh Green Bullet flowers.

DrSGA
Warm Beer - 17lt cube - Don't have any malt to contribute (not AG yet), was thinking of bringing Pork Ribs instead to make up for it :icon_drool2:
beerDingo - whatever amount...

Green Bullett Smash
Kleiny 20L cube
Hutch 17L cube

Leaving all the brewing stuff to Kleiny and Hutch, will still bring my gear tho.
gooday fents, mick from kooinda, just joined after reading everything on this site. thought i might become a member and help others with any problems or info. ps whats this brew day sounds interesting

oooops. hope we have not scared wonderwoman away. as CM2 said its more a brewers day so any brewers welcome regardless of sex.

Nah - luckily I haven't been on the forum much lately, so I didn't see this discussion till it was over.

anyway, that's why I'm bringing my HWDMB - so if you're all dreadfully boring bogans I'll still have someone to talk to :p

by the way, is there a drop off point in the south eastern suburbs??? I'm too lazy to drive to thornbury before saturday, but I'd like to offload my beers so I can get pt on the day

klieny and hutch do you need me to bring along any of my brew equipment ?

Only have around 300g of JW crystal if that's any help...due to stop in and get some more supplies.

DrSGA
Warm Beer - 17lt cube - Don't have any malt to contribute (not AG yet), was thinking of bringing Pork Ribs instead to make up for it :icon_drool2:

Green Bullett Smash
Kleiny 20L cube
Hutch 17L cube
Leigh 10-20L cube

It's a sad day today. I came home from work today to find my keg fridge trying to start the compressor for about a second and then cutting out followed by a several minute pause and repeat. poor ol' fridgey, you've served me pretty well for a $50 ebay chest freezer but I think you might have chilled your last beer :(

the beer is still sitting at 3C (I had it turned down cold to try and speed carbing up) but a little less carbonated than I was intending on; I think I'm going to turn up the gas pressure and try and get some more CO2 dissolved into it before it warms up too much and then bottle tomorrow night

Ive got so far. I will now what we need when i get final numbers by thursday at the latest.

DrSGA

Green Bullett Smash
Kleiny 20L cube
Hutch 17L cube
Leigh 10-20L cube
Wardhog 17L cube

Nah - luckily I haven't been on the forum much lately, so I didn't see this discussion till it was over.

anyway, that's why I'm bringing my HWDMB - so if you're all dreadfully boring bogans I'll still have someone to talk to :p

by the way, is there a drop off point in the south eastern suburbs??? I'm too lazy to drive to thornbury before saturday, but I'd like to offload my beers so I can get pt on the day

Well there are a couple of us out Croydon way if that helps ... also I'll be at the Melbourne Brewers meeting in Boronia tomorrow night (We have Bintani out to talk about hops) could drop it of there if you want.

Ha! thats the funniest thing ive read all day! Unfortunatly NO PET this swap, it was decided on Champage bottles only!

Acutally no, as long as the vessel holds atleast 700-750ml, be it glass, plastic, cling film, ice cream container. It holds pressure and is foodsafe.... use it!

I still disagree with this, should have been as the previous swaps and that's PET bottles

Rook

gooday fents, mick from kooinda, just joined after reading everything on this site. thought i might become a member and help others with any problems or info. ps whats this brew day sounds interesting

hi mick, its not really a brew day as such, more a pissup day ;) hahaha

nah twice a year we get about 28 people in vic together, we all brew a beer at home and bottle it. then you take all your bottles to the pissup and swap them with everyone else, so basically you come home with 28 different beers (or 26 as the case may be here).

everyone brings different beer on the day for the pissup and we also cook up a massive spit. usually about 3-8 kegs of different peoples beer on the day plus lots of bottles. we also usually brew a beer on the day too to show no All grain brewers how easy it is to do and show them the darkside.

maybe kooinda would like to "sponser" the next one ? ;) couple of slabs (or a keg) of kooi never ever goes astray.

hope your well mate.

I still disagree with this, should have been as the previous swaps and that's PET bottles
Rook

Yeah all PET is easy thats for sure. Made bottling a breeze and no one gets upset when they send out 28 coopers tallies and get back 28 weak CUB screwtop tallies.

Either way there was too much confusion for the masses so now its 'like it or lump it'. I was running short on bottles as i disposed most of mine before moving house. i should have been shattered having to try and neck 2 cases of longnecks just so i could bottle my beer. Instead i spent $24 on 2 cases of coopers bottles and have some leftover for comp entrys!

Well there are a couple of us out Croydon way if that helps ... also I'll be at the Melbourne Brewers meeting in Boronia tomorrow night (We have Bintani out to talk about hops) could drop it of there if you want.

I'm actually near Chadstone, so croydon's not much help, but I have been considering going to one of the melbourne brewers meetings - what time does it start?

Latest posts

Back