Vic X-mas In July 2009 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well my contribution was transferred to a keg tonight and ill force carb over the next few days and bottle thursday or Friday. It was a double batch so ive got a keg also.

It tasted pretty good out of th fermentor, a little more bitter than i was expecting but its always hadr to tell straight out of the fermentor.

The yeast is nuts. top cropping yeast still floating round the top after 3 weeks or more. Ill post pics tomorrow. heaps of yeast slurry down the bottom also. So ive kept a heap of it as its nice and healthy.

Spend about 40min trying to work out why my keg lid wasnt sealing (I could hear gas excaping). after going through all my disconnectes and everything it occured to me that maybe it was the rubber seal around the gas in post. Couldnt be, ive only just changed that. bloody well was that in the end. the rubber seal has perished. maybe i missed it when i changed all my seals. oh well fixed now and carbing up.

I didnt have any clean PETs so I was rumaging around for an glass jar for the yeast. I cbf going upstairs and gettign the capper to cap a glass beer bottle. the idea of capping bottles was horrid. so i have no idea how the hell i put up with bottling all my beer for so long. go kegs!

Edit:
the FG was about 1028 on the refractometer so ill have to get someone to figure out the %alc and proper FG at some stage. im still working out the refract calcs etc

Edit:
the FG was about 1028 on the refractometer so ill have to get someone to figure out the %alc and proper FG at some stage. im still working out the refract calcs etc

Gimmie the OG and ill let you know, other wise if you dont know your OG, measure your fg with a hydro and give me that figure too, i will be able to work out the OG and ABV ~

Cheers.

hmm cant seem to find the actual OG in my records. it should have been about 1045

cant find my hydro. so it was a good excuse to buy/use the refract. still learning how to use the calcs so i was a bit lax in my record taking.

i reckon my beer needs another month to condition before it's at its best. i'll label it thus, and update the wiki too

might be bringing along the missus to this - lend a bit of glamour to the evening. don't worry she's a bit of a looker so you blokes can all get pissed and ogle her while i drink your beer

hmm cant seem to find the actual OG in my records. it should have been about 1045
cant find my hydro. so it was a good excuse to buy/use the refract. still learning how to use the calcs so i was a bit lax in my record taking.

So, if your FG was approx 7 brix (1.028), thats around 1.017 FG and a ABV of around 3.7%.

don't worry she's a bit of a looker so you blokes can all get pissed and ogle her while i drink your beer

Hmmm... Sounds like whilst we will be oooglin, you will have a mate turn up with a ute and steal all the swap beers. *shhh* i wont tell anyone if you give me a cut!

Why would you bring your missus? she will be bored as bat shit. No other woman within a 5k radius. These swaps are a boys thing imo, no ones ever been game to bring their misssus to any previous swaps.

i reckon my beer needs another month to condition before it's at its best. i'll label it thus, and update the wiki too

might be bringing along the missus to this - lend a bit of glamour to the evening. don't worry she's a bit of a looker so you blokes can all get pissed and ogle her while i drink your beer

Only a brave man would bring his missus

Rook

who's gunna drive me home when i'm pissed then? Haha actually i guess i could get on the tram and pick the car up sunday...

Why would you bring your missus? she will be bored as bat shit. No other woman within a 5k radius. These swaps are a boys thing imo, no ones ever been game to bring their misssus to any previous swaps.

Fents married a smart woman. She could foresee what the day would be like, and took off to hang out with her friends the day that Fents hosted the swap party.

It's seriously not a better-half friendly day, Neill. As much as we appreciate you wanting to provide ogle for us, she'll go you with a knife when you get home for dragging her there.

You could all put your SWMBOs in a big case and swap them. What a dream eh chaps? :D

The first swinger's case swap.

Warren -

cheers 4star. i was shooting for 4% so it looks like im in the ballpark.

if your missus if a homebrewer she might be interested but yeah there will be a lot of blokey type talk. lots of crapping on about beer, lots of maaate. If another couple of lady brewers were coming she might have more fun.

but then again thats a bit stupid to say. why cant she enjoy herself in the company of men? its probably more of an accurate statement to say thats it moer of a breewers day as the conversation will have a beer focus (funnily enoughh)

What we're you thinking?

This is the best opportunity for an afternoon away from the wife and munchkins I've had in the last 6 months.

Me, I'm looking forward to a couple of hours of swearing, farting, and not having to re-assemble the Lego every 5 minutes

Fents married a smart woman. She could foresee what the day would be like, and took off to hang out with her friends the day that Fents hosted the swap party.

It's seriously not a better-half friendly day, Neill. As much as we appreciate you wanting to provide ogle for us, she'll go you with a knife when you get home for dragging her there.

hahahaha, good missus always knows when to lay low.

4 more sleeps! just orderd the meat. made it 14KG's just in case.

someone should bring some snags for 2am munchies and brekkie.

Forecast for Saturday

Cloudy. Winds northerly averaging up to 20 km/h.
City
Cloudy.
Min
Max
Forecast for Sunday

Partly cloudy. Patchy rain later in the day. Winds northerly averaging up to 30 km/h increasing to up to 45 km/h during the morning.
City
Windy and a little rain.
Min
Max

Anyone got spare firewood they can bring?

6. sappas - Better Red Than Dead Irish Ale - Attending, but only for an hour or two in the afternoon
7. Rook - Wazza's 3 shades of Stout attending
8. wonderwoman - Goldilocks (mexican cerveza kit with golden syrup) - attending + 1
9. seemax - Real Ale K&B - Not attending sad.gif
10. Q - "Mildly Challenged" dark mild - Attending​

Guys, I think we do have at least one member of the fairer sex attending, assuming it's not just an unfortunate nickname

does it really matter if theres ladies attending , lets face it theres more than a few on the forum now , most come and go , perhaps we should be starting to encourage that the girls brew so as to further progress the sport of home/craft brewing ..

oooops. hope we have not scared wonderwoman away. as CM2 said its more a brewers day so any brewers welcome regardless of sex.

The yeast is nuts. top cropping yeast still floating round the top after 3 weeks or more. Ill post pics tomorrow. heaps of yeast slurry down the bottom also. So ive kept a heap of it as its nice and healthy.

yeast was a stepped up k97. Forgot to take a pic of the yeast 'lace' after i emptied the fermentor. on a 60L fementor it was quite a sight.
IMG_0131_1_.jpg
IMG_0130_1_.jpg

think most guys dont wanna bring their wifes/girlfriends so they can mess up more without repercussion ..

Back