Vic. July 2015 Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
11. Midnight Brew - The Explorer (Dark Ale III) American Brown - DRINK NOW or age for 3-6 months malty complexity

​Crystal clear brown with a red hue to it like dark ruby.. maybe the haze thing isn't a thing after all.. dependant on grain bill I guess.Nice tanned head on pour but with coarse bubbles that push the head down. Mouthfeel is a little spritz due to a higher carbonation level. On opening a strong citrus burst of hops still. Nice balance of chocolate malt in there and nice bitterness, almost a little too much for me given the malts.. I would have liked the malts to shine a little more and in harmony with the hops. I guess when this was in its prime it probably was hop dominant as the hops would have been newer.Having said that American brown suggests new world hops in ur face over the brown. Has the year affected it.. probably.. but the citrus hops are still there and make for a nice beer. No faults present.

[SIZE=14pt]4. Nullnvoid - ByGeRu Pale Ale (Little Creatures clone) - Drink after early August. Was only bottled a week before the swap.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Very light citrus hops.. obviously come across as being very old. Surprisingly more old than all the other beers I have had. Seems a little dark for a little creatures Pale Ale. Maybe needs work on the grain bill. Slight haze and absolutely no head. Carbonation is underdone. Unfortunately this one must be past its prime and hasn’t aged well.[/SIZE]

8. Tahoose- English Bitter, drink in August.
Infected. sorry

Grainer said:
4. Nullnvoid - ByGeRu Pale Ale (Little Creatures clone) - Drink after early August. Was only bottled a week before the swap.

Very light citrus hops.. obviously come across as being very old. Surprisingly more old than all the other beers I have had. Seems a little dark for a little creatures Pale Ale. Maybe needs work on the grain bill. Slight haze and absolutely no head. Carbonation is underdone. Unfortunately this one must be past its prime and hasn’t aged well.
Probably a fair assessment. This was one of the last kit beers I did before I went all grain. So not surprised it hasn't aged well.

8. Tahoose- English Bitter, drink in August.
Infected. sorry

Having thought about it I think it was more oxidised than infected.. but it wasn't great.. it went to the gods.. good luck on the all grain

13. Whiteferret - Oaty Stout Bottled 1/7/15

Expecting a lot from this based on its 2 views... and after a year It should only get better.. here goes

Deep dark chocolate and roasts on the nose, slight alcohol, quite a bit of vegemite coming though that may suggest autolysis, which would suggest stressed yeast during fermentation. so looking beyond this it has a really nice tanned firm head with creamy consistency. Dark and clear from what you can see. On taste the vegemite is dominating, however I notice that there are some very nice malt characters int he background. I am guessing this would have been a really nice beer 6 months ago. Would have liked a more silky mouthfeel of of this one. Overall I can see how this would have been a very lovely drop a little while ago.

3. Yob - Belgian Pale Ale.. well.. sort of.. maybe too hoppy for a "style Nazi" but hay, wadda-ya-expect from me? Bottled a few days before the Swap, will need time

​Poured amber-copper, coarse head that didn't stay around long. slight haze. Minimal hop influence with some if any belgiany wit type thing happening in the background but its not very prominent. Characteristic aroma of sweet red wine grapes coming though. Quite dry. This has obviously lost a lot of hop character based on what Yob said he put in there as there is pretty much nothing there, but the yeast is also subdued, which I was surprised about.

Back