Vic Case Swap: Xmas In July Tasting Feedback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20. Wolfy's 10 Min Chinook Greenbelt IPA

Well and truly undercarbed for my palate, as a result the sweetness in the malt is overemphasised. Bitterness also appears to be to low for an IPA. I'm sure I could have written more pleasing comments but the low carbonation has swung everything to far to the sweet side. Another four weeks and I'm sure it would have drunk much better. Sorry Wolfy :(

Beer #23 - Iamozziyob Pale Ale

Loved the label. Good work. The beer - good session Pale Ale. Little aroma, pale straw in colour. Slightly sweet, more bitterness and aroma could have been a little higher.
If I was keen to party on, this would be my beer!

Did anyone pick up any acetaldehyde in this? Slight aromas and taste of freshly bruised apple for those playing at home.

#19 Nick Penno APA

Flavour: High sharp bitterness could almost be over done but just subdued with a slight caramalt background, great allround flavour with a dry finish making you want to go straight back for another.

[SNIP]

If i was going to have one very slight winge it would be the bitterness is creeping up out of APA and into IPA territory but thats the way us beer geeks enjoy it. If the bitterness was just slightly lower it would bring this beer into perfect balance.

#19 Nick Penno APA

Aroma: ticks all the boxes. resiny, citrus, great balance.
Appeaance: as good as it gets
Mouthfeel: moderate body, creamy.
Flavour: great malt support and a wall of hop flavour. Resonating the above, the bittering is VERY high. Too much for my palate to be honest. It leaves my tongue raspy and bordering on astringent.

This bitterness may be due to your lower efficiency and consequently, an unexpected higher IBU carryover. Ive had 100+ IBU beers that dont bother me becuase they have that balance. This doesnt due to the harsh bitterness.

I'd make sure that you're not adding too much in the way of salt blends and if you are adding salts, avoid things like using 5.2 with them as blends of high sulfate and sodium from the 5.2 can = harsh bittering. As can a higher pH so avoid carbonates too.

basically use Calcium Chloride for malty beers and Calcium Sulfate for Hoppy beers but not too much (no more than 10g per 22L final batch size.) ;)

Other than that, an enjoyable beer overall.

& Beer4U: Cal Common.

Pours clear amber with a nice white head that slowly fades.

Faint aroma of citrus (orange).

Moderate-high level of carb. Medium mouthfeel.

Flavour of fresh grain and a hint of citrus hop (not massive USA C-hop).

Subtle supporting bitterness.

Really nice, clean, balanced beer from my perspective.

14. Kleiny Helles Bock (not really to style - his words, not mine). I've said it before, and so have plenty of others. A fantastic bloody beer. Clear, bright, nice nose and like a smack in the face after the first two big mouthfuls. Others will say more erudite things about this beer than me - but I just thought I'd publicly say that I really like it. And he is such a sensitive soul for feeling self conscious in Hawthorn...we didn't even hold hands crossing the road...

Only had 3 beers so far. Far better people than me to give the detailed analysis so I'm gonna give feedback based on my own personal taste. If I like it, I'll tell you why, if I don't , well I'll tell you that too.

#4 Hoser - had this one a week ago so a bit foggy on my recollection however I remember liking the aroma. Mine had very little carbonation tho, can't remember if others had the same? will go back and check. Edit - would appear so. For me, some more carbonation would have made this a better beer.

#17 Sappas - Big whack of toasty, malty goodness up the nose followed by similar in the mouth. Had this on a particulary cold night and it was enjoyed.

#21 Manticle - Yeah, I know, wait till August or drink last. Well, boo to you! I've been playing swap lotto where I either send the kids up to the cupboard to grab a bottle or I get them to tell me a number between 1 and 24. Last night they came down with this bottle and not having your instructions in front of me, I went ahead and drank it.

Manticle, all I can say is thankyou! A beautiful beer that I really enjoyed. Sure it might get better, but its damn fine right about now! :icon_cheers:

Cheers Wakkatoo.

Glad you enjoyed it and fully understand about the child lottery.

10. Proudscum - Steam Beer

10.jpg

Pours with a beautiful thick head that lasts for most of the glass with lots of lacing.
Clear golden amber

I get hints of northern brewer on the nose , that rustic, slightly herbal note, which i love.

I think i notice a similarity from 2112 yeast in this beer, its a very slight fruitiness, which is a known attribute of this yeast.
I think this one has a bit more body than mine, which i like and you have still got it to finish
quite crisp and dry with a lingering bitterness.
I get a slight caramel /nuttiness in the after-taste, prob the simpsons crystal? if so i think i like.

Overall a very nice beer, i might like it a bit better than my effort? prob more to style as well, i could enjoy this often,as others have said
about mine, would make a great house beer.

I think there are some real finer attributes to this that i could not replicate - ie: if i am not mistaken this was brewed on
your braumeister? drinking this really makes me want one MORE, no doubt you could tweak this or repeat it with ease.
I think i need to get the wench to sell some friggn horses!

10. Proudscum - Steam Beer

View attachment 47131

Pours with a beautiful thick head that lasts for most of the glass with lots of lacing.
Clear golden amber

I get hints of northern brewer on the nose , that rustic, slightly herbal note, which i love.

I think i notice a similarity from 2112 yeast in this beer, its a very slight fruitiness, which is a known attribute of this yeast.
I think this one has a bit more body than mine, which i like and you have still got it to finish
quite crisp and dry with a lingering bitterness.
I get a slight caramel /nuttiness in the after-taste, prob the simpsons crystal? if so i think i like.

Overall a very nice beer, i might like it a bit better than my effort? prob more to style as well, i could enjoy this often,as others have said
about mine, would make a great house beer.

I think there are some real finer attributes to this that i could not replicate - ie: if i am not mistaken this was brewed on
your braumeister? drinking this really makes me want one MORE, no doubt you could tweak this or repeat it with ease.
I think i need to get the wench to sell some friggn horses!

Playing with Temperature was the trick with this beer.16 deg c ferment then rest at 10 deg c for 21 days rack and cc for 21 days at as close to 0.it was also bottled 7 weeks before you drank it.I think you can still make bad beer with a bruamiester as this is only part of the overall process it just means i can full mash again with ease.that was batch #4 through the system.

Thanks for your liking this beer.

cheers Scum

20. Wolfy's 10 Min Chinook Greenbelt IPA

Well and truly undercarbed for my palate, as a result the sweetness in the malt is overemphasised. Bitterness also appears to be to low for an IPA. I'm sure I could have written more pleasing comments but the low carbonation has swung everything to far to the sweet side. Another four weeks and I'm sure it would have drunk much better. Sorry Wolfy :(
Yep I got pretty much the same.

16. Lecterfan Schwartzbeer

Schwartz? Neg. More like rubin. But I'm no colour nazi, so I didn't just tip it on sight. Head was initially fairly loose, and soon dissipated to nothing. Syringe trick may have worked, but I'm a lazy man. Lazy, and last time I did that there was... cleanup...

Taste? Well, I get a lot of the hursbruker. Which is weird cause the recipe says it's only 60 minutes? So maybe it's the yeast? Spicy. But not phenolic spice, just... spice. I like it. Infinitely drinkable.

Reviewing the recipe, and I kinda agree with you though. There's just something that could be better... and I have no idea what it is. I'm thinking maybe some munich malt? I mean, it's good. I've really enjoyed it. Just... something...

Playing with Temperature was the trick with this beer.16 deg c ferment then rest at 10 deg c for 21 days rack and cc for 21 days at as close to 0.it was also bottled 7 weeks before you drank it.I think you can still make bad beer with a bruamiester as this is only part of the overall process it just means i can full mash again with ease.that was batch #4 through the system.

Thanks for your liking this beer.

cheers Scum
Nice fermenter. I took my braumeister for its maiden voyage today. Went well. I'll post some pics and more details in another thread later

#3 Zebba - English Pale

Pours with slight haze, golden/amber.

Nice white head that thins and remains with lacing.

Aroma of bread, very slight citrus, raisins and hint of alcohol.

Mouthfeel full, carbonation moderate.

Flavour: first thing is a big hit of warm alcohol. Unfortunately it dominates a little but the raisins, citrus and bread are still present and I've never been one to shy from a bit of alc in an alcoholic drink. I just prefer it at the finish rather than at the front of the palate if that makes sense. The big hit is in the first sip - subsequent sips, it is present but settles out a little. I get a nice nutty/biscuit flavour in the background

The fruitiness and bitterness are nicely balanced and if the alc was lessened by a touch it would be a really nice beer. Still is a nice beer - could be really nice beer with just a tweak somewhere.

I haven't looked at the recipe - I'm going to guess goldings and maybe a med/dark english crystal play a part in the citrus/raisin (although challenger could be a player too). Is it a strong beer or is the alc ferment related?

Alcohol is a mix of higher than expected efficiency and attenuation.

Hops are challenger. Malt was golden promise, light crystal and a little wheat. Wy1968

I agree 100% with your comments. The alcohol is too forward. It should have been a good half percent lower.

#5 McCook: English Pale

I had just moved here from New York. My Aunt had left me a small bungalow and I was about to start a job as a part time Vespa mechanic. Things were looking up.

I went to the wardrobe to take out my best pair of overalls. Put them on, felt around past the old tissues and lint in the pocket and found a small, plastic bottle that said "drink me". Closer examination showed a small '5' in some kind of mysterious ink.

What could I do but postpone the start of my first day with Vespafix &co., sit down with a large cigar and my favourite Chinkle six crystal pint glass and pour a large pint of the liquid inside?

All of a sudden I felt like a bloke giving an honest appraisal of a fellow brewer's beer and I felt a little terrified of who I had become.

Pours cloudy amber with little head that vanishes immediately.

Carb low, almost flat. Not sure if I've opened too early as there's no notes in the wiki.

Mouthfeel: flat beer with a hint of fizz. I guess full and flat.

Flavour: well here is the big surprise. I get nuts and toasty malts and a nice balance between bitter and sweet toasty malty goodness. In the faint distance there could be an apple singing but if he is, he's very subdued and maybe fallen asleep.

Essentially the beer is like a delicious recipe that's been conditioned well enough then bottled and opened after a couple of days for a tester. Lovely flavours - just the cloudiness and lack of fizz make me think that a recommended RTD date would be useful.

Fortunately, having personified the spirit of manticle (as he said his name was) I then fell over and twisted my ankle. I called in sick to work and was able to drink some more beer subsequently, with impunity and without consequence.

Huzzah.

Taste? Well, I get a lot of the hursbruker. Which is weird cause the recipe says it's only 60 minutes? So maybe it's the yeast? Spicy. But not phenolic spice, just... spice. I like it. Infinitely drinkable.

Reviewing the recipe, and I kinda agree with you though. There's just something that could be better... and I have no idea what it is. I'm thinking maybe some munich malt? I mean, it's good. I've really enjoyed it. Just... something...

Thats about right - it is a good quaffer, easy to drink 5 or 6 of them due to the "nothing-remarkably-outstanding-ness" of the beer. Surprised about the head though - it is about as highly carbed as I ever go with anything haha.

Pocket sparklers only good for English ales...

Thanks for the feedback :)

1. WarmBeer - Oatmeal Stout
gallery_14633_775_56280.jpg

Appearance: Jet black. Moderate, tan head. Didn't last long, possibly due to low carbonation.
Aroma: Sweet & roasted malt. Hints of licorice. Some very soft herbal hop aroma coming through.
Flavour: mmmmm. Chocolate, smooth roastiness. A little hop flavour. Getting a hint of licorice. A tiny bit of bitterness to finish.
Mouthfeel: Silky smooth. Low carbonation (after RTD date) but fine for the style. Body is medium-full.
Overall: What a cracker! This is just so easy to drink and has everything I like about stout in it. Roasty, without being harsh. A little hoppiness. Smooth bitter finish and that silky mouthfeel from the oats. Top stuff, Warmbeer!

Now to sit back and enjoy! :chug:

#8 Vienna lager.a soft palate of a beer.clean with a faint noble hop aroma on the nose..a little wood and vanilla.Balance is as you would expect with maybe a little more eruo malt coming to the fore would be good.a little hazy which is surprizing as its come out of a 9degree fermentation fridge.head retention is good with Belgian lace to the end of the glass.A good session beer that i would go back for more...maybe its the Australian versions i have tried that are a lot more chewy but that goes back to the malt.A style i need to explore more and will be interesting to see how the new world version i made comes out in about 3 months time.cheers and thx.

SCum

8. Husky - Vienna Lager

Pours a darkish color but quite clear with a nice tight fluffy head. Aroma of.... wet carpet. I tried drinking this but couldn't get past the wet carpet smell. Not sure if this sample was infected but I ended up tipping it.

sap.

Latest posts

Back