Vic Case Swap: Xmas In July Tasting Feedback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More from last night

#8: Husky: Vienna Lager

Pours very clear brown/copper white head which slowly thins but persists.

Bready aroma.

Medium mouthfeel, moderate/high carbonation.

Subtle bitterness, slight burnt toffee, toast and honey flavours.

Overall delicious. I detect a hint of what I would describe as chalkiness but it's not dominant. Is this the same one you had at the swap? Homegrown PoR? I couldn't detect any specific hop flavour.

No mate, this one has saaz and styrian goldings, that was a 10min IPA with homegrown POR that you had on the night.
cheers

Nick Pennos APA, sorry mate, gusher alert! Smelt freaking awesome, but it all foamed down the sink. The little bit on my fingers tasted good tho! :(

15. Me (Golani)- 60min IPA:

I was worried. Had loads of awesome beer that night. Much better than anything I have done. Still, tasted my first one just now.
Not too carbonated, but this would allow me to drink more with less repercussions. I really enjoy this type of beer. Enough bitterness without making me pucker (although I like puckering). Head discipated quiet quickly but it was fairly warm when I drank it (room temp), but had to give it ago before hearing other's comments. Fairly heavy on the body, but rolls down nicely.

Not as clear as it would have been if chilled properly, but rarely are my beers.I need to work on that.

I could drink a fair few of these. Don't expect many to agree.

13. Bullsneck - pale ale

As mentioned previously, this is a little hazy, but with a small head that persists well.

Aroma is not in-your-face, but pleasantly aromatic. Plenty of hop flavour, without being too bitter. If anything, I'm finding it a little too sweet, but only by a teensy-little-bit.

If anything, I reckon this could do with a little more carbonation, which would make it a great summer quaffer.

Good beer, mate. B-

mine was quite hazy but i dont taste with my eyes all the time.i liked this a lot my carbonation was high but that took the sweetness away bitterness a little low for my PA taste budds but the aroma was very nice.
Am glad i had this one with dinner as it was a great match with a free range chook and fresh dug root veg from the garden.
The roasted beetroot which where small matched really well with the earthy/citrusness that i got from the malt/yeast/hop pairing in the bottle....yum yum yum.

and yes i am still painting and have been since 10.30 this morning.now on to beer #17 which has a lge head thats why i am here and not drinking it.

Cheers mate SCum

Nick Pennos APA, sorry mate, gusher alert! Smelt freaking awesome, but it all foamed down the sink. The little bit on my fingers tasted good tho! :(

Was planning on hitting this one next day or so as well, have been serving mine from ambient storage = 10degrees
Just grabbed this bottle and it is quite swollen and hard as a rock, il be chilling this one nice cold before opening.
Thanks for the heads up.

Was planning on hitting this one next day or so as well, have been serving mine from ambient storage = 10degrees
Just grabbed this bottle and it is quite swollen and hard as a rock, il be chilling this one nice cold before opening.
Thanks for the heads up.

Yup, mine was at ambient, would recommend others to chill as it honestly smells awesome!

#19 Nick Penno's APA.

Opened slowly with no trouble, I should have let it sit for 5 mins or decanted should be fine.. but I didnt and was fine.. Pours with a large head which given a few mins reduces to a compact lasting head and thick lacing all the way down.

To my pallete, a full bodied beer, floral aroma and citrus flavour on taste then the IBU's kick in and linger, it's a big beer for sure, not a session beer for my pallete but certainly one that can be enjoyed after a hearty meal..

Nice damn beer NP

:kooi: :kooi: :kooi: :ph34r:

(3 and a half headbanging bogans and 1 security guard out of a Mosh Pit)

please keep in mind I have the effing flue ATM, and forgive my somewhat abject excuses for sensory translation

1.JPG On Pour

2.JPG Let Settle

Yob

When it comes to chocolate i like Vahrona this is a little more cadburys .
I found the chocolate a little cloying in the lingering aftertaste re the cadbury reference.Would have been nicer if it was drier
and a bit more body, for a stout it seems a bit thin.......in saying this i couldnt really get overly excited about guinness in Dublin, was a soft cock and drank Harp.So i like super quality chocolate but not to keen on the dark side of beer.

at least i drank all and the dregs, so there you go.

Hmmm chocolate expresso cake fresh out of the oven just waiting for a little ganache.

#5 McCook English Pale Ale.

Pours a nice colour but very cloudy (not a big deal for me personally). Head dies off reasonably quickly and not much lacing.

Aroma is nice and taste is quite unexpected but very drinkable. I don't have the good adjectives for English beer I'm afraid, but I have drunk this beer after quite a few commercial English beers and the main difference is the lack of body and of full malt flavour/mouthfeel...this is a bit thinner and the hop flavour less spicy and more one dimensional. Overall this beer is well balanced, but the maltiness is a bit subdued. I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, and I have really enjoyed this beer, but I've also tried to provide an objective review....

If this were my beer then next time around I would aim for less residual sweetness and a drier, bitter finish...

Cheers :icon_chickcheers:

19. Nick Penno - APA

19.jpg

Appealing golden colour, slight haze , which quickly clears as it warms up a bit. Excellent head and retention.

I could sniff this one all day, its got sweet fruity aroma that does not quit, fresh stone fruit , with citrusy zest.

Upon tasting i get fresh pine and citrus, slight grassiness , soft bready malt, with a moderate cleansing bitterness
that lingers slightly.

Nice middle of the road in terms of mouthfeel, leaves me with fresh fruits in the aftertaste, the bitterness seems
to hang on more as i drink more. A tasty and cleansing ale, i could drink a few of these on a summers day.

19. Nick Penno - APA
I could sniff this one all day
Oh yeah... I really should brew this. Maybe drop back the bittering addition slightly. I'd love another bottle!

Oh yeah... I really should brew this. Maybe drop back the bittering addition slightly. I'd love another bottle!

Just finishing the second half of it, i agree on both points, i honestly just thought the same thing myself, " i wish i had another bottle of that for ron"
also, yes a little less bitter would make it much sessionable :drinks:

Had a few of late.

8. Husky - Vienna Lager
In a blind tasting, I probably wouldn't have guessed it was a lager. Not that it was estery, but there were some definite fruity flavours going on. I'm no expert on the style, but if I'd been asked I would have said less body and a little more carb. As it was though, it hit the spot nice. Real nice actually. It wasn't what i was expecting, but I was pleasantly surprised regardless. I'm kinda surprised looking at the recipe at how big bodied it was, and am wondering if maybe there was an attentuation issue, or I'd gotten to it before it had a chance to carb properly.

9. Razz - Bender Brown Ale
Probably the most "professional" one to date. I'm guessing it was filtered, cause it looked about as good as it gets. Tasted bloody nice too. To my tastebuds you got the toast/roast balance just right. Not much else to say frankly. I wouldn't change a thing.

7. Beer4U - Cali Common
Brilliant mate. Presentation was perfect - great clarity, excellent mousy head that stuck around the whole glass. Body, balance - both bang on. And the flavour was great. Got some nice mint and spice from the hops, and plenty of malt. Indeed, it was like I could taste the fresh grain. I'm guessing that was the victory malt. A cracking beer, wish I had a few more... And best of the swap so far...

7. Beer4U - Cali Common
Brilliant mate. Presentation was perfect - great clarity, excellent mousy head that stuck around the whole glass. Body, balance - both bang on. And the flavour was great. Got some nice mint and spice from the hops, and plenty of malt. Indeed, it was like I could taste the fresh grain. I'm guessing that was the victory malt. A cracking beer, wish I had a few more... And best of the swap so far...

:wub:

Thanks, I am pretty simple, in that its just nice to know something I have created and put myself into is being enjoyed and appreciated by others, that is all.

:icon_cheers:

Tasting notes so far, think I have a few bottles left.
It's been great to have so many different beers to try, and
thanks to all who have taken part in the swap, some really
nice ones there.

16. Schwarzbier
Pours a nice dark ruby, small head
Aroma of fairly strong malt, almost vinuous meybe
Tastes nice, solid malt with restrained roast.
Very clean, dry and malty, thouroghly sessionable.
Yum.

9. Bender Brown Ale
Aroma malty, and something else a little strange.
Flavour some nice malt, but something else, the
same as what I was getitng in the aroma, this
kind of gets in the way of me really enjoying
this beer.

4. Northern English Brown
Lovely nose, light fresh and malty.
Flavour smooth, nutty and lightly malty.
Easy to drink - perhaps could have some stronger
malty flavours there, no strike that, i've
just had another sip - it's great.
goes very well with freshly made sausages.

18 Vienna Lager
Great head retention
Aroma of clean malt, light sweet aroma.
Perhaps a touch of diacetyl, perhaps slightly
sweet. No big standout flavours, and perhaps
a little dominated by sweetness

6. American Stout
Pours very black, fast disapearing head
Aroma - primarily hops
Flavour, some nice malt, and primarily roast
as far as malt flavours I can taste.
Some nice malt, silky, but quite hops dominant.
Nice beer, but personally would have liked to have some
more malt flavours show through.

5. English Pale
Sweet aroma, nice tight head
Smoth malt on aroma, quite balanced.
(sorry, somehow notes got cut off here )

14. Helles Bock
Very clear, small head
Quite strong alcohol on the aroma, and some sweet malt.
Took about 4-5 seconds till i sensed the flavours after the first
sip. Very clean lager taste, quite dry, nice deep malt(relatively subtle), significant alchol.
Nice strong dry lager - personally I would have liked some more
malt depth and complexity in this beer to go with the sensation of alcohol
it has, but impressive.

7. Cali Common
Crystal clear, lovely tight head
Aroma fresh, light, hopy and enticing
Flavour clean, lots of tingle from high carbonation.
Very clean, quite hoppy, refreshing and pleasant drinking.

20. 10 min Chinook Greenbelt IP
Pours amber/red, small fluffy head
Aroma - deep, smooth hops, very fruity, strawberrys and cherry
Nice flavour, but something strange in there that I can't really
put my finger on and dominates a bit.

13. Pale Ale
Pours a murky light amber, small head
very light, fresh floral hop aroma just floats out of the glass.
Flavour is relatively subdued.
I loved the aroma here, would like some more yum's in the flavour though.

17. Chocolot Stout
Pours nice clean, very dark ruby. Nice packed tan head.
Aroma of dark cherry black forest, touch licorice, quite rich but fresh.
Flavour - oh yeah, solid malt, quite dry, chocolate and some roast.
Well proportioned, and balanced stout, very sessionable, very tasty and
some really top flavour without being overpowering, leaves me looking
for another one.

23. Pale
Aroma fresh, hoppy, champagne like, and appely nose (coopers like)
Great fluffy white head.
Brilliantly clear, light in color, med-high carb.
Tastes quite subtle, no big flavours, but also quite clean and dry.
Although the flavour is subtle, for me this is a very enjoyable beer,
and doesn't have anything to really detract from it. Although you could
argue that it could have some stronger flavour, I'm pretty impressed by
it's simplicity. Nice clean light and dry.

3. English Pale
Pours light amber.
Aroma quite sweet, perhaps overly sweet
Flavour full, nutty, nice and malty
Nice malty english ale.

1. Oatmeal Stout
Pours deep and dark
small head - gone.
Aroma rich...molasses.
Nice soft malt, some silkyness, very clear, lingering roasty notes.
Very moreish. Love how it packs in the flavour whilst not overpowering and
still quite dry.
Delicious.

19 American Pale
Big floral aroma
Pours very light gold, quite clear.
Fantastic big tight white fluffy head
Medium body, little on the sweet side, would like a little dryer
Nice drinking, lingering hops at the back of the throat.
I'd probably stop at one of these(but i enjoyed it), but I would imagine the
hop lovers quickly back for more of this one.

12 Sweet Stout
Mmm, malt, quite intense, perhaps even some dark raisins/vinuous quality.
Small tight heat.
Soft on the pallett, some roast, very smooth.
Nice.

2. American Amber
Not carbed, but my fault for not waiting.
Aroma a bit cloyingly sweet, quite estery (or meybe it's the hops ..)
For me this was a little too sweet.

10. Cali Common
Nice aroma, very clear.
Great head.
Nice clean taste, well balanced and moreish
Enjoying each glass more and more.

24 Brown Porter
Nice and soft, very low carb (very much like cask ale)
quite clear, fully bodied, reasonably rich.
Very nice.

15. 60 Min IPA
Wonderful floral nose, some nice malt.
Nice, although somehting a little grating about the hoppiness
just at the end.

18. Robust Porter
Unexpectedly found one of these in the garage when I thought
they were all gone, so my thoughts were..
Although I expected this might taste overly sweet, I really didn't
find this when I tried it, maybe the med-high carb covered it
a little, or some time in the bottle..
Reasonably clean, malty, chocolate and some roast.
Probably overdid it on the chocolate malt here with the
color very dark. I'd have liked to get some more fruity notes in there and a bit more aroma,
and next time dry it out more, but reasonably happy with it.

24S09E02.1AM.TO.2AM.PROPER.DVDRip.XviD.torrent

Synopsis:

Last time on 24 Jack Bauer drank a really nice Oatmeal Stout and dispatched two terrorists. In a seemingly unrelated event the president was kidnapped.

The digital clock starts counting up. Jack is finishing hiding the bodies and in desperate need of another drink. His phone rings. It's CTU and they need his help because the president is missing. In almost no time at all a helicopter lands and he scrambles aboard. While on board he takes on supplies: more ammo, smoke grenades and an Amber Ale. He looks at his watch and gauges there is just enough time to drink the beer, so he chugs it down. Malt driven, low on the fizz and easy drinking, he slams it down fast.

The scene flips over to president, who is tied to a chair, being tortured by nunchuck wielding Mormon seperatists. Enough said, though one of them looks creepily like the Napolean Dynamite actor.

Back at CTU things are grim. Jack begrudgingly agrees to help, though this is definetly the last time. CTU's crack computer hacker team have intercepted a suspicious transmission. Jack needs to go to the docks. CTU policy dictates he has to take a partner. Jack looks at the fair haired, blued eyed rookie suspiciously. "Who are you?"

"Jesse Pinkman, yo!"

Time is up.

Jack score 7 points for this episode.

#20: Seemax: American amber

Pours slightly hazy copper/amber with a small tight head. Head lingers but beer needs to be poured from height for it to form. Lacing.

Aroma of fruit, toffee and pine. Delicious smell.

Carbonation low. Low, even for me.

Flavour is rich fruit, some almost christmas cake qualities with more refreshing fruits cutting through, a hint of milk chocolateand a big sweet finish. Slight lingering bitterness.

Overall, this beer has a massive malt profile and a very big hop flavour. Hop bitterness is present but subtle. I have a house APA that is very similar (massive toffee and fruit) but mine is a fair bit more bitter. This reminds me of that beer - being my house beer, obviously I like it. Could be a bit more bitter to balance the fruit and toffee but to be honest that's being picky. Loads of hop flavour and good malt backbone to balance it.

Definitely up the carb or make people hang on for longer but great complex and layered flavour profile going on.

Back