Vic Case Swap: Xmas In July Tasting Feedback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Various members of the case-swap group are (literally) more qualified to provide informative beer judgeing feedback than myself ... so I thought I'd use a modified style judging sheet:

Entry: #13 - Bullsneck - bullsneck pale
CS11J13.jpg

Aroma: :icon_drool2:
Apperance: :mellow:
Flavour: :icon_cheers:
Overall Impression: :kooi:

Okey-friggin-dokey - plain coloured coopers PET which I am led to believe is an American stout that the Lord Si of Borg is responsible for (no. 6?). Dark as a stout should be, nice tan head, like the colour of the smooth but still slightly leathery hide of a sun drenched brunette wench, aroma hints at both the roast and the hops.

First taste is all roast, a nice clean bitterness with lingering roast, not a lot of maltiness to speak of, but that suits us men of the West reasonably well (watching Game of Thrones). As it warms in the glass the hops present themselves a bit more and are surprisingly welcome (Im generally not a big fan of dark beer and US hops), but it adds to the complexity of the beer overall. The hops begin to be the final lingering aftertaste which really adds an unexpected (for me) twist to the style.

Good LACING (not bracing apparently hee hee) but not much of a lingering head. The beer is dark as the heart of a Cimmerian witch from the stygian swamps, and as transparent as the very blackness of Odins crows (i.e. not at all).

11. Shane Rs Pumpkin Ale Wow! Not at all like I imaginednot sure if I tasted any the other night (apologies if I did and cant remember). Im definitely ripping this recipe off except I wont use any US hops and Im thinking I might try a different yeast (so some could argue Im not really making the same beer at all but the inspiration is the same!).

The look lovely colour, no head after not long in the glass and very turbid to look at no point assuming it is just unflocced yeast, this mother-uckah has plenty of body and starchy goodness to it. The aroma? In a word.intriguing. The flavour is really wonderfulso different, I can really taste the spices on the back palate, at the very end of the taste.having grown an enormous number of pumpkins this year I can also taste the pumpkin sugaz in there (am so keen to try this myself now!!!). Nice level of carbonation and a fantastic after dinner beer! There is a hint of sweetness in there that I cant pinpoint maybe from the honey? Anyway yummo not a beer youd drink 12 of before giving a speech at a funeral, but an amazing beer to whip out to highlight your awesome taste in beverages in the same way you might with an expensive wine etc.

Razz 9. Brown Ale Plenty of aroma heaps of nana (not nanna) in the aroma and then the first mouthful makes you sit down and call your mum (or similar parental figure). Plenty of big flavours going on here, exactly what I want from a brown - others may not agree it is not a clean, dark pseudo lager, but rather a clear, bright fruity brown ale that is driven by yeast and malt.yummers! Not sure what else to report on this oneother than the chocolate notes make me want another 3-9 longnecks of this in reserve thanks. Not the beer for a single style quaffing session, but bloody bew dee full!!! Im not a big fan of browns (usually cos they have too much US in them lately) but this has got the tick from me.

These are my ramblings and thoughts using a chefs palate that has been brewng for 18 years.so please look upon my comments as just that,i am not going by style guides but by what is crossing my palate.So it will be interesting to see what people think of my palate when they try my beer.

#19 I drank this when i got home from the swap so it was at garage temp which was about
8 0C.Wow the hop aroma of cascade(me thinks)jumped out of the glass.Yum
High bitterness which is fine by me but was a little lacking in malt/body to balance the big hop
Aroma/bitterness.The second glass was more enjoyable and had me thinking Little creatures pale ale.I now know why i used to get the feedback on the APA that i used to enter into comps a long time ago as they pale in comparison.I would drink this beer again at midnight.Thanks.

#3 whoops just grabbed this and knocked the top of.was painting and needed a beer.So a little under carbed..no problem.Nice mouth feel and good amber malt flavours.Maybe a little more hop bitterness to balance the malt sweetness.Clean beer .pity i didnt look at the are you RTD or not.Thank you.

#14 I wish i could call this my own.No wonder i stopped painting.I am thinking there is some maris otter in there as thats what i am getting malt wise with a little tart finish(more than way off the mark being a german beer,please tell me i am right)?As soon as i started drinking this the alcohol was very evident on the palate and now on the brain.
Beautiful balance of malt to hop with good dryness to not make the sweet malt cloying.
Nice and bright with med carb,the head needed to be enticed and didnt stay for long,no lacing in the glass..could be the glass. Would love you to pm me a recipe for this stunner.

0ne more to be had tonight....will not do a lucky dip but will check the RTD list first.

#7Had to break out the american shaker glass for this one.nice and clean with a little hop nose
not quite bright.a little under carbed to be an anchor steam.But rings all the right bells for me.Easy drinking as it should be.hope mine lives up to the style if not a little maltiernice one mate.cheers Scum.

#7Had to break out the american shaker glass for this one.nice and clean with a little hop nose
not quite bright.a little under carbed to be an anchor steam.But rings all the right bells for me.Easy drinking as it should be.hope mine lives up to the style if not a little maltiernice one mate.cheers Scum.

Nice, its just a warm fuzzy feeling to have my efforts being enjoyed by others, honestly prior to the swap i have not had any good feedback about my beers from general public that has tried my " homebrew" anyway i will put away my violin.

Just going back through my files, as the low carbing was not an issue on my "testers" which were 330ml, i aimed for 2.6 - 2.7 volumes
Looking at my priming calculator i use, i had it set for double the 330ml dose....
Seeing as 10 or so of my bottles were fosters 800 jobbies the rest were 750 i can see now that they would be undercarbed.
:(

6 - Siborg - American Stout

Poured this one fairly rough, got a little finger worth of head that went away and left some foamy bubbles on top.
Looks jet black but clear.

I was rewarded with a nice wack of citrus fruits hop aroma, which was quicly overtaken by some quite roasty/coffee notes
which became more prominent as i let it sit in the glass for 10min.

Rich full bodied roast/coffee flavour that is matched by solid bittering, which i find quite smooth, with an even smoother
finish that leaves me searching the insides of my mouth for more.
Gets better as it warms for sure.

My first taste of a homebrewed stout and i am very pleased. :icon_cheers:

6 - Siborg - American Stout

Poured this one fairly rough, got a little finger worth of head that went away and left some foamy bubbles on top.
Looks jet black but clear.

I was rewarded with a nice wack of citrus fruits hop aroma, which was quicly overtaken by some quite roasty/coffee notes
which became more prominent as i let it sit in the glass for 10min.

Rich full bodied roast/coffee flavour that is matched by solid bittering, which i find quite smooth, with an even smoother
finish that leaves me searching the insides of my mouth for more.
Gets better as it warms for sure.

My first taste of a homebrewed stout and i am very pleased. :icon_cheers:
Was it undercarbed? I was having major issues with my counter pressure bottle filler. Need to seek out a bigger bung for PET bottles.

Was it undercarbed? I was having major issues with my counter pressure bottle filler. Need to seek out a bigger bung for PET bottles.

I wouldn't have wanted it much more carbed for a stout, but I tend to like everything a little less carbed than many others seem to...

Well i guess if you were going to be right on the style, medium to medium high it was not.
But for me personally I really enjoyed as is and would not want much more fizz, i think it would detract from all the lovely flavours.

Entry: #8. Husky - Vienna Lager
CS11J08.jpg

Aroma: :mellow:
Apperance: :huh:
Flavour: <_<
Overall Impression: :unsure:

Enjoying a Bullsneck pale right now. Exactly what I would expect from a nice PA. First galaxy hopped beer I have had and I'm really liking it.

No.7 Beer4U's Cal Common
Great looking beer, poured with a large head but settles quickly, nice and bright! Good colour. Some hop aroma and caramel malt. Flavours are moderate, slightly bitter finish and moderate carbonation. Dryish finish, low to mod mouthfeel.
Nice ale, tastes almost as good as it looks. If you tried Brendos' version on Saturday night then this ale is it's little brother.
I just checked the recipe, doesn't taste like a 40 IBU ale.

No.7 Beer4U's Cal Common
Great looking beer, poured with a large head but settles quickly, nice and bright! Good colour. Some hop aroma and caramel malt. Flavours are moderate, slightly bitter finish and moderate carbonation. Dryish finish, low to mod mouthfeel.
Nice ale, tastes almost as good as it looks. If you tried Brendos' version on Saturday night then this ale is it's little brother.
I just checked the recipe, doesn't taste like a 40 IBU ale.

Thanks
so how many IBU do you think?

I use Tinseth in Beersmith, while adapting the bulk of the recipe from BCS i had a bit of confusion initially cause that uses Rager for hop calcs.
But yeah so far, prob cause of my higher gravity boils i have found my hop calcs to be a bit hit and miss.

Entry: #8. Husky - Vienna Lager
CS11J08.jpg

Aroma: :mellow:
Apperance: :huh:
Flavour: <_<
Overall Impression: :unsure:

They are either really big jars of coffee etc or that is the smallest rubbermaid mash tun in the background that i have seen.

Thanks
so how many IBU do you think?

I use Tinseth in Beersmith, while adapting the bulk of the recipe from BCS i had a bit of confusion initially cause that uses Rager for hop calcs.
But yeah so far, prob cause of my higher gravity boils i have found my hop calcs to be a bit hit and miss.
It was a comment about perceived bitterness more so than the actual IBU's, if I had to guess maybe 30ish.

Sorry for the delay on these two. Was drinking them and watching the In Betweeners

4. Hoser - Northern English Brown Ale
gallery_14633_775_61354.jpg

Poured a nice deep brown, head quickly dissipated.
Aroma was a nice nutty one, with hints of soft alcohol and very subtle chocolate (IIRC)
Mouthfeel: Medium-light, very low carbonation, finished only slightly dry. I think this could have benefited with a little more carbonation and body. Finish was good
Flavour - medium bitterness, plenty of nuttiness.
Quite good overall. I think the only thing that could be improved on was the body and carbonation. Try raising your mash temp a degree or two, and double check your priming rates.

19. Nick Penno - American Pale Ale

gallery_14633_775_51312.jpg

What else can I say but :icon_drool2:
Appearance - pale gold. Thick, dense head that lasted all the way to the end and left a nice lacing on the glass. I was a little worried as I had way too much pour, but I let it settle and it was all good.
Aroma - got plenty of citrusy/piney notes, some very soft bread crust notes as well.
Flavour - beautiful citrus/resiny/piney hop flavour, a firm bitterness which is not over the top (IMO) and just the right amount of bready malt coming through as well. This has obviously been dry-hopped as I could taste the fresh hop character.

Mate, this was the perfect APA. If I was writing the guidelines, I'd base them on this... Just f**king beautiful. I'd love to brew this recipe as I could drink pint after pint of this.

It was a comment about perceived bitterness more so than the actual IBU's, if I had to guess maybe 30ish.

OK no worries, i understand now, thank you.
Its interesting to note other peoples perceptions compared to the numbers generated. Since i started brewing i have only been able
to compare IBU calcs to micro and commercial beers and the consensus i found online as to how much others perceive them to be.

Lately i have started just going with my gut more in regards to hops and the recipe as a whole, like i do with most of my cooking and using
Beersmith more as rough guide to help me find a good balance, cause it doesn't really matter what the numbers say if the end product is really unbalanced one way or another.

cheers mate

Back