Vic 2017 Xmas in July Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husky,

When it comes to Case Swap brews, it's very much "Run what ya Brung" & that's half the fun (as you would've seen at the last one). We put together a system from whatever we have available. It changes every time, but it doesn't matter.

Everyone contributes, everyone benefits.
We make beer :beer:

If you want to give your new babies a run, bring them along in welcome.

husky said:
Would like to give mine a crack if required. Let me know as otherwise might not see use for a while! Just waiting to find a couple of big enough burners to boil 7-800L but will be sorted by July.
as Martin said, you're definitely welcome to bring yours. It'll be amusing to see Idzy be the one with the small kettle. :lol:
I'm fairly sure everyone will be keen to see the setup you've started putting together!
And it'll be nice to not have a kettle boiling within 2 inches of the rim. :huh:

Just out of interest, exactly how big is it, and how do you move it? From memory, there's a car porch between the street and the brewing spot, so we might need to move it a little distance via some height restriction.

And Wiggas, definitely bring your HERMS as well, that baby rocked last time so it'll be nice to have it to use again.
Hopefully Idzy has 20+ power points in the brewery station. ;)

technobabble66 said:
From memory, there's a car porch between the street and the brewing spot, so we might need to move it a little distance via some height restriction.
You're talking about moving the porch right Stu?

technobabble66 said:
as Martin said, you're definitely welcome to bring yours. It'll be amusing to see Idzy be the one with the small kettle. :lol:
I'm fairly sure everyone will be keen to see the setup you've started putting together!
And it'll be nice to not have a kettle boiling within 2 inches of the rim. :huh:

Just out of interest, exactly how big is it, and how do you move it? From memory, there's a car porch between the street and the brewing spot, so we might need to move it a little distance via some height restriction.
Kettle is 970mm diameter x 1200mm high for approx 900L, stand adds another 300mm or so. Fits in the back of a ute easily with its stand. Has handles and can be moved by two people easy enough.

technobabble66 said:
So that resolves some things to:
1) Light Crystal, the 100EBC stuff from Bairds
2) Chocolate wheat (1100 EBC) from Weyermann looks like the closest to the Briess roasted wheat.
3) Joe White Amber

Leaving:
4) Looks like it'll be Wheat malt <_<. What about subbing in Rye? :ph34r:
5) Assuming wheat, use plain wheat malt or use Dark wheat malt to push the deeper flavours?

What are your thoughts on those last 2, monkeybutt Mofox? :lol:
1,2,3 yep yep yep.
4 - see 5
5 - lets go with MJ's offer.

malt junkie said:
Have spare bucket (10-12kg) of dark Best wheat, happy to contribute, other wise I'll be into some wheat beers in a BIG way soon, and really it's a little cold for that.
That would be awesome. And I know you'll turn up with the grain, as opposed to the circumstances at Shep... seriously still impressed Martin & Deej brought up enough extra to cover for the shortfall!

That's pretty much equipment covered, isn't it?
Husky's BFK = kettle (900L)
Idzy's "little brother" kettle = HLT (600L)
Idzy's 2x 300L eskys with manifolds = MLTs (~550L)
Wiggas' & Idzy's HERMs = heat for mash steps

Plus everyone brings pumps, hoses, etc.

Husky, do you have a large capacity HERMS/RIMS, or did you end up building that Grant you'd outlined in the equipment thread?
Currently it seems like the only shortfall equipment-wise might be slow ramping on the MLTs.

(I'm assuming Idzy has a decent mill setup to process the grain Friday night)

MartinOC said:
Stu, that doesn't mean you're off the hook.

Collaboration...
No wukkas :lol:
Been keen to help on this one (now that i'll be attending) - after i'd learnt so much from the last one it makes it a LOT clearer 2nd time 'round.
I'm assuming that you, me, MJ, Jesse, & Wiggas (plus husky, i'm guessing ;)) will probably be loitering around the brewing for most of the day to help anyway, with Mofox wearing the HB vest and calling the shots.

I've adjusted the recipe spreadsheet for the current grain selections, so Mofox et al can have a gander and play if they want. Otherwise, it looks good to go B) :
View attachment Toby's Stout, big brew, 1.2.xls

Edit: for those playing away from home, here's a screenshot:
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1495242028.959670.jpg

What amazing wizardry of spreadsheetiness is this?

I've scaled the original recipe in brewmate earlier, today og looks close enough... Will update hop schedule I think. Condensing the 0, 10 & 30 into a single 20 might be a bit much, will push out a version with fwh, 20, 0 & cube. Also adjusted hop aa% for what clever brewing are currently stocking.

mofox1 said:
What amazing wizardry of spreadsheetiness is this?

I've scaled the original recipe in brewmate earlier, today og looks close enough... Will update hop schedule I think. Condensing the 0, 10 & 30 into a single 20 might be a bit much, will push out a version with fwh, 20, 0 & cube. Also adjusted hop aa% for what clever brewing are currently stocking.
All good. Fwiw, keep in mind there's the fwh, 40min plus cube hops as a 20min, so there's a bit of a spread in that sense.
Also keep in mind that the whirlpool generally has been for ~1 hr or more (those damn thermals!) so lots of late additions can unpredictability blow out the bittering. And the last half of the cubes can end up with a fair few more IBUs. All manageable but just needs to be considered, is all.

Any chance I can get in on this. Long time lurker, not much of a poster.

Done a few beers, but more into making spirits and what not, but do love a good beer.

I am a friend of Laxation who is on the list and would be keen for the 24 case swap idea.

Shortybronx

Hells yeah Shortybronx, add yourself to the list as a swapper (and cubist if keen).[emoji106]

Back