Vic 2017 Xmas in July Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
technobabble66 said:
Are we looking to get a few bags of sodium metasilicate as well?
Ideally we should be mixing a 2:1 ratio of perc:metasilicate (from memory), to more closely resemble PBW
I'd be keen on a bag to split 50% with someone of sod_met as well, if possible to include in this bb Mick?

want to keep this simple JB ... no splits at this stage :angry:

this hopefully will be conducted at the case swap .. things could get dangerous if you know what I mean
what could possibly go wrong ..with a ton of sodium percarb :ph34r: :ph34r:

will address metasilicate ... once numbers firm up

I always liked you micbrew...

SODUIM PERCARBONATE EOI ONLY BULK BUY

25 KG BAG ..... NO SPLITS

Depending on numbers expect to pay $30 hopefully cheaper will clarify once numbers are confirmed
pick up will be from Ferntree Gully area ... to coincide with the case swap

so we can proceed I need firm numbers and once confirmed I will ask for payment .
im bulk buy virgin please ... please be kind :ph34r:

1 micbrew 2 x bags
2. Mardoo 1x bag
3. Laxation 1x bag
4. Technobabble66 x1 bag
5 AJ80 2 x bags

micbrew

Depending on numbers expect to pay $30 hopefully cheaper will clarify once numbers are confirmed

so we can proceed I need firm numbers and once confirmed I will ask for payment .

just add your name to the list

1 micbrew 2 x bags
2. Mardoo 1x bag
3. Laxation 1x bag
4. Technobabble66 x1 bag
5 husky 1 x bag

just add your name to the list

1 micbrew 2 x bags
2. Mardoo 1x bag
3. Laxation 1x bag
4. Technobabble66 x1 bag
5 husky 1 x bag
6 AJ80 2 x bags :super: :super:

I'm keen on say 10kgs of met, running out of that. I do have a full bag of perc from the last buy though which I'm about to open.

I use a ratio of 4:1, more specifically 1tbs perc and 1tsp met is what I use for 5L of water as my cleaner for everything.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
I'm keen on say 10kgs of met, running out of that. I do have a full bag of perc from the last buy though which I'm about to open.

I use a ratio of 4:1, more specifically 1tbs perc and 1tsp met is what I use for 5L of water as my cleaner for everything.
pretty sure that is 3:1 :p

Black n Tan said:
pretty sure that is 3:1 :p
Yep. I stand corrected. BnT is right (sorry, deej [emoji1]).
3:1 ratio of perc:metasil

From Yob's BB in '13:
"3 parts sodium perc + 1 part Sodium met make a backyard PBW, if you are interested in making near to exact PBW, have a search through my old BB's, Wolfy posted the relevant information back then. Personally I find the simple mix ample to clean my brewing gear."

mofox1 said:
What amazing wizardry of spreadsheetiness is this?

I've scaled the original recipe in brewmate earlier, today og looks close enough... Will update hop schedule I think. Condensing the 0, 10 & 30 into a single 20 might be a bit much, will push out a version with fwh, 20, 0 & cube. Also adjusted hop aa% for what clever brewing are currently stocking.
technobabble66 said:
All good. Fwiw, keep in mind there's the fwh, 40min plus cube hops as a 20min, so there's a bit of a spread in that sense.
Also keep in mind that the whirlpool generally has been for ~1 hr or more (those damn thermals!) so lots of late additions can unpredictability blow out the bittering. And the last half of the cubes can end up with a fair few more IBUs. All manageable but just needs to be considered, is all.
It's only taken 10+ days... but hey, I've finally got back to the recipe. RE higher bittering with long whirlpools... yep, makes sense. So... I've dropped the plan for the zero min addition, but moved the 20 to a 10 min addition. Moved more of the hops to cube... at the worst you'll get a hoppier beer if you are cubing late.

2017 AHB Stout
American Stout

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 500.0
Total Grain (kg): 181.000
Total Hops (g): 2050.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.077 (°P): 18.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 8.07 %
Colour (SRM): 46.3 (EBC): 91.2
Bitterness (IBU): 45.3 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 120

Grain Bill
----------------
125.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (69.06%)
18.000 kg Amber Malt (9.94%)
8.000 kg Brown Malt (4.42%)
8.000 kg Chocolate (4.42%)
8.000 kg Wheat Malt, Dark (4.42%)
6.000 kg Crystal 30 (3.31%)
3.000 kg Roasted Barley (Simpsons) (1.66%)
3.000 kg Wheat Malt, Roasted Dark (Briess Midnight Wheat) (1.66%)
2.000 kg Caraaroma (1.1%)

Hop Bill
----------------
FWH (23 IBU):
250.0 g Columbus Pellet (13.4% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
300.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (5.1% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)

10min (calc'd @ 30min - 7.5 IBU)
500.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (5.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)

Cubes (calc'd @ 15min - 14 IBU):
500.0 g Chinook Pellet (11.8% Alpha) (1 g/L)
500.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (5.1% Alpha) (1 g/L)

Yay or nay?

Clever is now out of stock of Columbus... I'll chase up Mr OC and see if there is any inbound or if we'll source it from elsewhere.

technobabble66 said:
Yep. I stand corrected. BnT is right (sorry, deej [emoji1]).
3:1 ratio of perc:metasil

From Yob's BB in '13:
"3 parts sodium perc + 1 part Sodium met make a backyard PBW, if you are interested in making near to exact PBW, have a search through my old BB's, Wolfy posted the relevant information back then. Personally I find the simple mix ample to clean my brewing gear."
My comment to DJ was simply to point out that mixing 1Tbsp (ca 15mL) Perc and 1tsp (ca 5mL) Met is a 3:1 ratio not 4:1. In the end I tend to use a 2:1 ratio as it is closer to the 70% Perc/30% Met cited on other sites for PBW. In the end we are bucket scientists and whether it is 2:1 or 3:1 is probably not material.

So we can proceed I need firm numbers and once confirmed I will ask for payment .
I'm a bulk buy virgin please ... please be kind :ph34r:

Just add your name to the list

1. micbrew 2 x bags
2. Mardoo 1x bag
3. Laxation 1x bag
4. Technobabble66 x1 bag
5. husky 1 x bag
6. AJ80 2 x bags :super: :super:
8. JB & TheWiggman (we'll split) 1 x bag

There you go JB. $30 for 25kg what an absolute bargain, I thought $10/kg was cheap. Best stuff I've ever used in brewing, I prefer it to PBW as I've found it washes off better and subjectively does a better job.

micbrew said:
want to keep this simple JB ... no splits at this stage :angry:

I meant I'd buy the whole bag of sodium metasilicate & then be responsible for any further split with whoever wants it.

Hey thanks Wiggy, but I already have a bag of perc, so I'd only need the 3:1 ratio split for sodium metasilicate - so about 8kg.

If adding a bag of met to the order is too hard Mick, I'll just arrange it myself - or if anyone has any surplus to needs, sing out please.

Spewing. Updated.

So we can proceed I need firm numbers and once confirmed I will ask for payment .
I'm a bulk buy virgin please ... please be kind :ph34r:

Just add your name to the list

1. micbrew 2 x bags
2. Mardoo 1x bag
3. Laxation 1x bag
4. Technobabble66 x1 bag
5. husky 1 x bag
6. AJ80 2 x bags :super: :super:

Hi ALL

Requesting pricing on sodium metasillicsate , should have by tonight

I hope to post up msda as well if I can manage it

micbrew