Vic 2017 Xmas in July Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Authorised by Damien Barrett ... I'm not so sure about the accuracy of that report!

MartinOC said:
On my long drive home this evening, I had some time to think.....

Malt Junkie suggested earlier that we could do 2 brews over the weekend & then pulled the pin on the idea. I'd like to re-kindle it.

Between myself & CB, there's a lot of extraneous malt & hops that we could use-up to test the new set-up on the Friday night (ie. iron-out the bugs) before launching into the main brew the next day.

It'd be a complete dog's breakfast in terms of ingredients & totally un-calculable, but sometimes those beers turn out to be magnificent. Nothing more than shits & giggles.

Anyone who takes-away a cube can throw whatever yeast they want at it & bring a couple of bottles back for the next swap for fun & comparison.

Thoughts?
Back on a pc .... Happy to take on head brewer for friday night. what sorta style were you thinking Martin? I'm sure we have some other guys with stocks they're getting ready to move on. Grain bill and hops as it be but lets keep in a simple single infusion and ramp to mash out. will be bringing the mill, drill and some buckets. If we get this happening the lads will need to be bringing an extra cube or two. We could make it a bring your spare base brew and see if we can't max out that big ol' kettle!!! I think we would all like to see that!

Thoughts people???

malt junkie said:
Back on a pc .... Happy to take on head brewer for friday night. what sorta style were you thinking Martin?
Style???? You gotta be ******* kidding, right? Just shits & giggles.

This would be a complete Dog's Breakfast brew. I'll try to get a list of all the crap I've got laying-around at home/work & post it up, but it's nothing stylistic. I was just thinking to chuck the whole lot into the MLT & run it as a test for the rig with some extra base malt to stretch it out (mostly specialty grains).

Anyone who wants to take a cube or two for experimental purposes can do so.

MartinOC said:
Style???? You gotta be ******* kidding, right? Just shits & giggles.

This would be a complete Dog's Breakfast brew. I'll try to get a list of all the crap I've got laying-around at home/work & post it up, but it's nothing stylistic. I was just thinking to chuck the whole lot into the MLT & run it as a test for the rig with some extra base malt to stretch it out (mostly specialty grains).

Anyone who wants to take a cube or two for experimental purposes can do so.
Like I said .... Boys bring yer extra Base malts!!!!!

OK, let's call it (Yet another!) "Classic American" style (since they seem to love to re-invent the wheel & then call it "Classic American").

Dunno what we're gonna get or what it'll look or taste like. Frankly I don't GAFF.

May I suggest bitter with the leftovers from all out fridges? I'll be there Friday, keen to take part

Stu I'll go a 1/3rd and have someone potentially keen on another 1/3rd, that cool? Plus 1 bag of perc.

TheWiggman said:
May I suggest bitter with the leftovers from all out fridges? I'll be there Friday, keen to take part
Not a bad idea. I'd suggest we find out the pre-boil gravity & go from there.

TBHWY, I think we'll just end-up chucking everything we've got at the kettle, crack another beer & walk away for an hour or so. Problem?

Your on this science shit Martin ... I'm with ya mate ... shit load of malt in the Tun, shit load of hops in the kettle ... Job done!

SODUIM PERCARBONATE EOI ONLY BULK BUY

25 KG BAG ..... NO SPLITS

Depending on numbers expect to pay $30 hopefully cheaper will clarify once numbers are confirmed
pick up will be from Ferntree Gully area ... to coincide with the case swap

So we can proceed I need firm numbers and once confirmed I will ask for payment .
I'm a bulk buy virgin please ... please be kind h34r:

Just add your name to the list below

1. micbrew 2 x bags
2. Mardoo 1x bag
3. Laxation 1x bag
4. Technobabble66 x1 bag
5. Husky 1 x bag
6. AJ80 2 x bags uper: uper:
7. Malt junkie 1 x bag
8. DJ_L3ThAL x1

sodium met approx. cost $2.50kg to be confirmed approx. $62.50 per bag again dependent on numbers

1 JB 8kg - if cool to get by the kg - if not I'll get 1 bag (I'll split 1/3 with Madhu & 1/3 malt junkie)
2 technobabble66 1/3, DJ_L3ThAL 2/3
3 Curly79 Half a bag micbrew 1/2 bag

Curly79 said:
Whats the verdict on Russ and his spit? Can we get a case swap food thread happening someone? I'm only on my phone as me and the laptop can't stand the ******* sight of each other. Happy to help out with the tucker
DJ_L3ThAL said:
I'll stat a food thread, on phone ATM but will do this week to get ball rolling. Sorry I have been meaning to for a bit now...
Food thread started, inc. catering list to get things going.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/95292-vic-2017-xmas-in-july-case-swap-food/

technobabble66 said:
Helps alkalise the water (& offset any hardness in the water) so it increases the strength of the sod perc.
I think it might help dissolve fats as well (?).

Hey micbrew, with the sod metasilicate, are we getting the same dry stuff Jesse got in a BB ages ago (2013)?
I got some of both from then (just running out now, hence jumping in on this one), and found I've been able to mix several kgs dry and leave it to use over a year or so. However I've been reading some threads on ahb where guys have come back to erupting buckets a few hours/days later as the 2 "dry" chemicals have reacted. Apparently with the sod metasilicate you can get one form that's totally dry and one that's not (both powdered). The latter is highly reactive with dry sod perc.

micbrew said:
Hey Stu

I am as far from a scientist as you can get :blush:
I have the msda sheets here ... I will try to get these posted

I did see that post ,and yes I believe its the same supplier .... I too bought from that bulk buy
.. but could not and would not guarantee if pre mixed ..this could occur

to many variables .. environment / batches / etc etc

cheers micbrew
I believe it's whether or not the stuff is labelled as "coated" isn't it? I pre-mix a small amount (500g) for inside the house use cleaning flasks etc, haven't had any issues but I definitely keep the bulk storage separate.

Depending on numbers expect to pay $30 hopefully cheaper will clarify once numbers are confirmed

So we can proceed I need firm numbers and once confirmed I will ask for payment .
I'm a bulk buy virgin please ... please be kind h34r:

1. micbrew 2 x bags
2. Mardoo 1x bag
3. Laxation 1x bag
4. Technobabble66 x1 bag
5. Husky 1 x bag
6. AJ80 2 x bags uper: uper:
7. Malt junkie 1 x bag
8. DJ_L3ThAL x1

sodium met approx. cost $2.50kg to be confirmed approx. $62.50 per bag again dependent on numbers

1 JB 8kg - if cool to get by the kg - if not I'll get 1 bag (I'll split 1/3 with Madhu & 1/3 malt junkie)
2 technobabble66 1/3, DJ_L3ThAL 2/3
3 Curly79 Half a bag micbrew 1/2 bag
4 Laxation 1/3 bag

DJ_L3ThAL said:
I believe it's whether or not the stuff is labelled as "coated" isn't it? I pre-mix a small amount (500g) for inside the house use cleaning flasks etc, haven't had any issues but I definitely keep the bulk storage separate.
Yep. Not sure. I noticed the sod perc Jesse organized was coated, so wondered if that was what made all the difference. In an older thread I found (~2011?) they were talking about the 2 types of sod metasil and seemed to think it was from being totally dry or not.
I'm inclined to think you might be right and it's the coating that makes the difference.
I mix a few kgs at a time as well (storing the bulk separately) and it has always been fine over the year or 2 it takes to chew through it. If the problem of eruptive reactions was due to a slight hydration of the sod metasil I would've thought that over the year it's sitting there mixed up it would eventually become sufficiently hydrated to start reacting. Given it hasn't, I'd assume that's not the key issue.
Either way, the sod metasil data sheet says its anhydrous (means it's about as water free as it'll get under normal conditions, for those non-chemists out there), and the sod perc is coated.
So hopefully that means were covered both ways, and micbrew is a champ. [emoji6]

So we can proceed I need firm numbers and once confirmed I will ask for payment.
I'm a bulk buy virgin please ... please be kind :ph34r:

1. micbrew 2 x bags
2. Mardoo 1x bag
3. Laxation 1x bag
4. Technobabble66 x1 bag
5. Husky 1 x bag
6. AJ80 2 x bags :super: :super:
7. Malt junkie 1 x bag
8. DJ_L3ThAL x1
9. Mofox1 x1

1. JB 8kg - if cool to get by the kg - if not I'll get 1 bag (I'll split 1/3 with Madhu & 1/3 malt junkie)
2. technobabble66 1/3, DJ_L3ThAL 2/3
3. Curly79 Half a bag micbrew 1/2 bag
4. Laxation 1/3 bag

Back