Vic 2017 Xmas in July Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheWiggman said:
Spewing. Updated.

SODUIM PERCARBONATE EOI ONLY BULK BUY

25 KG BAG ..... NO SPLITS

Depending on numbers expect to pay $30 hopefully cheaper will clarify once numbers are confirmed
pick up will be from Ferntree Gully area ... to coincide with the case swap

So we can proceed I need firm numbers and once confirmed I will ask for payment .
I'm a bulk buy virgin please ... please be kind :ph34r:

Just add your name to the list

1. micbrew 2 x bags
2. Mardoo 1x bag
3. Laxation 1x bag
4. Technobabble66 x1 bag
5. Husky 1 x bag
6. AJ80 2 x bags :super: :super:
8 .Malt junkie 1 x bag

Gonna renege on my offer for a few non-wheats amongst the swap beers. I've only got 20 PET bottles (probably should have checked before bulk priming) which I filled with my Pride of Wheat brew. The swap numbers are pretty sad, so unless we get up to 24 I'm not going to go out of my way to buy some more and fill them.
On the plus side if you're like me and don't like wheats this is a fantastic opportunity to expose you to the world of cloves and bubblegum with arguably the best wheat beer you'll have this swap. Who knows, it might convert you. I've managed to convert a few hetero chicks in my time so I must possess some sort of superpower. On the flip side, consider it revenge that I've got 7 litres of the stuff on a shelf I'm going to have to get through.

laxation said:
Can we use the oven to heat up a whole lot of meat?
I can smoke some pulled pork and bring it cold. Could fit 9-10kg in the smoker
Should be fine

whiteferret said:
Do I need to bring my kettle and mash esky?
Never hurts, but don't worry if you can't be bothered.

Depending on numbers expect to pay $30 hopefully cheaper will clarify once numbers are confirmed

So we can proceed I need firm numbers and once confirmed I will ask for payment .

Just add your name to the list below

1. micbrew 2 x bags
2. Mardoo 1x bag
3. Laxation 1x bag
4. Technobabble66 x1 bag
5. Husky 1 x bag
8 .Malt junkie 1 x bag

sodium met approx. cost $2.50 kg to be confirmed approx. approx. $62.50 per bag
again dependent on numbers

cheers micbrew

On my long drive home this evening, I had some time to think.....

Malt Junkie suggested earlier that we could do 2 brews over the weekend & then pulled the pin on the idea. I'd like to re-kindle it.

Between myself & CB, there's a lot of extraneous malt & hops that we could use-up to test the new set-up on the Friday night (ie. iron-out the bugs) before launching into the main brew the next day.

It'd be a complete dog's breakfast in terms of ingredients & totally un-calculable, but sometimes those beers turn out to be magnificent. Nothing more than shits & giggles.

Anyone who takes-away a cube can throw whatever yeast they want at it & bring a couple of bottles back for the next swap for fun & comparison.

Thoughts?

MartinOC said:
On my long drive home this evening, I had some time to think.....

Malt Junkie suggested earlier that we could do 2 brews over the weekend & then pulled the pin on the idea. I'd like to re-kindle it.

Between myself & CB, there's a lot of extraneous malt & hops that we could use-up to test the new set-up on the Friday night (ie. iron-out the bugs) before launching into the main brew the next day.

It'd be a complete dog's breakfast in terms of ingredients & totally un-calculable, but sometimes those beers turn out to be magnificent. Nothing more than shits & giggles.

Anyone who takes-away a cube can throw whatever yeast they want at it & bring a couple of bottles back for the next swap for fun & comparison.

Thoughts?
My fridays are looking pretty clear with the bosses shift having switched around. What time kick off? Though brewing through to 1 or 2am is doable we're usually just winding down then. Having kit set up early would make the night easier. Definitely a challenge we should take on.

Sounds fine. So long as the gear's ready to rock Saturday morning I can't see why not.
Ideally have the kettles ready, filled with water, and boiled by bedtime Friday night (so still warm & close to strike sat morning).
Is that doable?

Firkin hell that sounds awesome!

I'm recalling the RIS brew we did at Idzy's a few years ago. Some thought should be given to grain disposal. Two brews will produce a fuckload of spent grain.

Thanks for organising Mick.

1. micbrew 2 x bags
2. Mardoo 1x bag
3. Laxation 1x bag
4. Technobabble66 x1 bag
5. Husky 1 x bag
7. Malt junkie 1 x bag

sodium met approx. cost $2.50kg to be confirmed approx. $62.50 per bag again dependent on numbers

1 JB 8kg - if cool to get by the kg - if not I'll get 1 bag (I'll split 1/3 with Madhu & 1/3 one other person)

1. micbrew 2 x bags
2. Mardoo 1x bag
3. Laxation 1x bag
4. Technobabble66 x1 bag
5. Husky 1 x bag
7. Malt junkie 1 x bag

sodium met approx. cost $2.50kg to be confirmed approx. $62.50 per bag again dependent on numbers

1 JB 8kg - if cool to get by the kg - if not I'll get 1 bag (I'll split 1/3 with Madhu & 1/3 one other person)
2 technobabble66, 8kg. (Or if it's bags only, I'll grab that remaining 3rd of JB's if that's ok)

I'm a bulk buy virgin please ... please be kind h34r:

1. micbrew 2 x bags
2. Mardoo 1x bag
3. Laxation 1x bag
4. Technobabble66 x1 bag
5. Husky 1 x bag
6. AJ80 2 x bags uper: uper:
7. Malt junkie 1 x bag

1 JB 8kg - if cool to get by the kg - if not I'll get 1 bag (I'll split 1/3 with Madhu & 1/3 malt junkie)
2 technobabble66, 8kg. (Or if it's bags only, I'll grab that remaining 3rd of JB's if that's ok)

technobabble66 said:
MJ, did you change anything in your post?? [emoji1]
I must be blind [emoji57]
I think AJ's hair was getting in MJ's face from rocking out too hard.

1. micbrew 2 x bags
2. Mardoo 1x bag
3. Laxation 1x bag
4. Technobabble66 x1 bag
5. Husky 1 x bag
7. Malt junkie 1 x bag

1 JB 8kg - if cool to get by the kg - if not I'll get 1 bag (I'll split 1/3 with Madhu & 1/3 malt junkie)
3 Curly79 Half a bag

1. micbrew 2 x bags
2. Mardoo 1x bag
3. Laxation 1x bag
4. Technobabble66 x1 bag
5. Husky 1 x bag
7. Malt junkie 1 x bag

3 Curly79 Half a bag mkicbrew 1/2 bag

What is the metasilicate for? As opposed to straight perc?

Helps alkalise the water (& offset any hardness in the water) so it increases the strength of the sod perc.
I think it might help dissolve fats as well (?).

Hey micbrew, with the sod metasilicate, are we getting the same dry stuff Jesse got in a BB ages ago (2013)?
I got some of both from then (just running out now, hence jumping in on this one), and found I've been able to mix several kgs dry and leave it to use over a year or so. However I've been reading some threads on ahb where guys have come back to erupting buckets a few hours/days later as the 2 "dry" chemicals have reacted. Apparently with the sod metasilicate you can get one form that's totally dry and one that's not (both powdered). The latter is highly reactive with dry sod perc.

Hey Stu

I am as far from a scientist as you can get :blush:
I have the msda sheets here ... I will try to get these posted

I did see that post ,and yes I believe its the same supplier .... I too bought from that bulk buy
.. but could not and would not guarantee if pre mixed ..this could occur

to many variables .. environment / batches / etc etc

cheers micbrew

Back