Vic 2017 Xmas in July Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
laxation said:
So the massive brew just gets poured into a cube - To add yeast/hops and go?
Sounds good!

Is the brew done on saturday?
Also cost of the brew (ingredients plus gas) is split between the cubists.
Generally ~$25-35 per cube.

Do we need a new list of Swappers, cubist, attendees since everything has changed?

I'm in! my mate might be keen too...

the 7th July - 9th July Location: Idzy's Brewery - Ferntree Gully

Attendees (Swappers)
3. Idzy
4. AJ80 (Saturday only)
5. Grainer
7. DJ_L3THAL
8. Husky
10. mmmyummybeer
11. Midnight brew
14. thearn
15. Curly79
17. MartinOC
18. mofox1
20. Whiteferret
21. Laxation
22. TheWiggman
23. GrumpyPaul
24: Tahoose

Attendees (Swappers - Reserves)
1. QLD Crew - Discuss

Attendees (Non-Swappers)
1. Technobabble
2. Malt Junkie
3. droid (at least the Friday arvo/night set-up with a keg...and Malt Junkies torch)
4. Micbrew

Cubists
3. Idzy
4. Technobabble
5. Grainer
6. Malt Junkie
7. DJ_L3THAL
9. mmmyummybeer
11. Midnight brew
13. thearn
14. Curly79
15.JB
16. MartinOC
17.Micbrew
18. mofox1
19. Whiteferret
20. Laxation
21. TheWiggman
22. GrumpyPaul

Case swap brew complete, and the wheat hater has brewed a wheat. The type and style remains to be seen but I'll do all you bros a sweet deal: seeing as I don't like the style myself, I'm going to include 5 longnecks of Dortmunder Export for those in my camp. The rest can have your clove and banana retreat while we beer fans enjoy a hard-to-brew beer that's likely poorly made. Everyone wins.

Ed: the style does not remain to be seen seeing as I contradicted myself.

Sorry guys been away without any phone/internet access.

Now this has been moved to Idzy house there is a Possibility I can attend at least for some of the time.

I can also drop off the spit. Even if I don't make it, it can be there.

Nullnvoid said:
Sorry guys been away without any phone/internet access.

Now this has been moved to Idzy house there is a Possibility I can attend at least for some of the time.

I can also drop off the spit. Even if I don't make it, it can be there.
The spit has already been to more swaps than you mate!! Hope you can come along.

I can help out with food too - can do pulled pork & coleslaw if people want. Just let me know.

If it's a RIS I'll be in on the cube list, but not stout as I've just bottled a batch of oatmeal stout.

Now to get my swap beer brewed...

AJ80 said:
If it's a RIS I'll be in on the cube list, but not stout as I've just bottled a batch of oatmeal stout.
The Vic Brew entry was almost RIS like... wouldn't take much to tip it firmly in that category.

Toby's Stout:

OG: 1.080, FG: 1.016, IBU: 43, ABV: 8.5%

70% MO
10% Amber
4% Brown
4% Choc
4% Wheat
3% Light Crystal (30)
2% Roasted Barley
2% Roasted Wheat
1% Caraaroma

Mashed 90 min @ 63°C

2hr boil (first runnings boiled hard as soon as element covered).
Bittered with Columbus to about 23 IBU, made up the rest with 20g EKG additions at 30, 10 & 0min, and cube additions of 15g EKG & 20g Chinook whole hops.

Dry hopped with 30g EKG after 10 days (with ~10% to go to FG).

Yeast: Burton Ale (WLP023), somewhat of a house strain as I regularly get 80%+ AA from this one.

Grain bill is overly compex for a swap, I'd say we could get rid of the wheat & use all RB instead of 50/50 with Roasted Wheat, could reduce to one type of xtal... My recent re-brews have dropped the brown and upped the roast slightly, but have also dropped the abv as well.

This one could bump the OG up to 1.090+ for a 10%-er. B)

AJ80 said:
The spit has already been to more swaps than you mate!! Hope you can come along.

I can help out with food too - can do pulled pork & coleslaw if people want. Just let me know.

Now to get my swap beer brewed...
Very true. Don't want it to increase its lead :)

Geez you crafty home brewers, moar hops moar alcohol moar bitterness MORE MORE MORE! 8.5% is RIS territory, if it was a very good beer will making it stronger make it a better beer? Don't change it I reckon, it sure as hell ain't an oatmeal stout. It is a pretty complex recipe though, how's that going to be as far as getting grain is concerned? Does anyone know any clever brewing blokes who would be able to arrange?

which system will we brewing on !! idzys or huskys per haps a system war :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Ris vs oatmeal stout

I'd probably agree with wiggas, that's a fairly high abv. Happy to go with it at 8.5% if that's the consensus, but I'd be equally happy to go with something a bit lower, say 6-7%.
Otherwise I suppose I could simply dilute my cube out at pitching [emoji6]
Fwiw, the Westy 12 clone was ~1.076 into the cube (syrup bumming it up later to 10%). So 1.080 is pretty damn high.

Just a quick suggestion, could we replace the wheat with oats? (And up the choc/RB a little). That way we get the oatmeal stout aspect covered, if people care about that.
Too complicated? Prefer to stick to tried and true recipe?

My 2c: keep the Brown in. Plus the Amber, choc and 2 crystals. Think I prefer a more complicated grist for stouts. [emoji6]

I reckon keep tried and true, to respect Micks awesome recipe! Also that way AJ doesn't have 2x oatmeal stouts and we can get on to sorting ingredients

TheWiggman said:
It is a pretty complex recipe though, how's that going to be as far as getting grain is concerned? Does anyone know any clever brewing blokes who would be able to arrange?
I'm pretty Clever ;) , but I've been quietly "warned" that I shouldn't be buying stuff for a case-swap at staff discount rates, when it's really only meant for my own personal use. Fair enough, I can understand that call.

I can still get the grains & can do a 10% discount for someONE who wants to order such large quantities of ingredients without getting in trouble, so it's definitely possible.

Lemme know how much of everything we're looking-at for the recipe & I'll see what I can do to pull the supply strings. NO guarantees.

We've also got a swag of hops left over from the FP purchase that we could press into service for next to nothing.

At the last case swap, for the Westy12 clone, we got ~70% overall efficiency with~460L out of the kettle into cubes.

I just entered the recipe into a modified version of ianh's spreadsheet using 70% efficiency, target volume 500L, OG=1.079, FG=1.018 (yeast attenuation 75%), 44.9IBUs:

180kg grain total.

126kg MO
18kg Amber
7.2kg each of Brown, Choc, and Wheat (so totally should be oats)
5.4kg Light Crystal (60 EBC)
3.6kg each of Roasted Barley & Chocolate wheat
1.8kg CaraAroma

300g Columbus + 150g EKG @FWH
250g EKG @20mins (calc'd as @40mins for cubes)
500g Chinook + 375g EKG into cubes (equivalent of 20g Chinook & 15g EKG into each cube)

dry hop as desired.

(i'd guesstimate 500-550L Mash, 300L Sparge (should get us ~500-550L into the kettle. Could definitely increase sparge to 400L to improve efficiency though)
---------------------------------

How's that look? Seem a reasonable estimate of your recipe, Mofox?

If that's roughly OK, it gives us some grain (& hops) figures to start acquisitions.

PS: could round the MO to 125kg, and add 1kg of Melanoiden (maaaaalllttyy!!), or bump up the Amber to 19kg.

Damn - I'll just step back, hey :D.

Looks good. Like the hop rationalisation addition, original spec was roasted wheat, not choc wheat but I like the sub ;)

Agree with rounding the MO to whole sack amounts, probably also good order a full sack of the Amber and see who wants to purchase the extra kg's. The other spec's we'll do by the kg and wear the extra cost (unless we can shift the whole sack.. this would need to be a commitment of $ not an eoi).

1kg Melanoiden would remove the need for a caramelisation boil (wouldn't it?)... so either that or 1 more kg of Amber sounds like a plan.

Cube additions could be left up to the cuber... although I know on other years Jesse has brought up bulk and split on the day. Cube additions here are fairly minimal.. ~$3 worth if my math aint too terrible.

Yeah definitely increase the sparge, runnings for the patters beer was from memory 1048, that be lots of sugars to leave behind.

Back