Vic 2017 Xmas in July Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hells yeah!!
Rye Oaty Stout.
Surely Jesse should be brewer for this one. He luvs his stouts.
[emoji185][emoji1]

Fwiw, Wayne/whiteferret has a good oat stout recipe. Well, I was impressed.

On a serious note, we should be able to do oats in a stout if we can do a side beta-glucanase rest. Makes a huge difference. Just mix in some ale malt with instant oats and sit at 44*C for 10-20mins, then chuck into the mash for the normal regime (maybe after a quick heating). Simples!

Otherwise I think there was some interest in another Pliny clone (yawn). [emoji57]

te 7th July - 9th July Location: Idzy's Brewery - Ferntree Gully

Attendees (Swappers)
3. Idzy
4. AJ80 (Saturday only)
5. Grainer
7. DJ_L3THAL
8. Husky
10. mmmyummybeer
11. Midnight brew
14. thearn
15. Curly79
17. MartinOC
18. mofox1
20. Whiteferret
22. TheWiggman
23. GrumpyPaul
24: Tahoose

Attendees (Swappers - Reserves)
1. QLD Crew - Discuss

Attendees (Non-Swappers)
1. Technobabble
2. Malt Junkie
3. droid (at least the Friday arvo/night set-up with a keg...and Malt Junkies torch)
4. Micbrew

Cubists
3. Idzy
4. Technobabble
5. Grainer
6. Malt Junkie
7. DJ_L3THAL
9. mmmyummybeer
11. Midnight brew
13. thearn
14. Curly79
15.JB
16. MartinOC
17.Micbrew
18. mofox1
19. Whiteferret
21. TheWiggman
22. GrumpyPaul

On board for the send off of the Flower Street brewery. I'll bring some kegs, a beer engine and a few kilos of hummus.

I've got some brewing mates here who might be keen to come along to the swap because at a glance, the numbers are pretty lacklustre. We've still got 9 empty spots for the swap. What's the etiquette here? Neither are forum members but they beer fans (have been known to go out of their way to source particular imports) and aren't trouble. They actually bought their system from a forum member. In saying that I think one of them is keen to get on the forum and see what it's about.
Don't judge them just because they're friends with me.

TheWiggman said:
I've got some brewing mates here who might be keen to come along to the swap because at a glance, the numbers are pretty lacklustre. We've still got 9 empty spots for the swap. What's the etiquette here? Neither are forum members but they beer fans (have been known to go out of their way to source particular imports) and aren't trouble. They actually bought their system from a forum member. In saying that I think one of them is keen to get on the forum and see what it's about.
Don't judge them just because they're friends with me.
I reckon get them to sign up Wiggy. That way they can keep across the build up / discussion / recipe chat & see any relevant swap detail. Plus sign up today & you get free access to the wealth of AHB knowledge, do it, do it now.

Mmmm.... Fresh meat... :D

Newbies are always welcome to join the shenannigins & provides extra hands-on whilst they learn stuff (& help with the clean-up :ph34r: ).

So, Mofox's prize-winning stout?

Mofox for President & head-brewer on this one?

Recipe please (perhaps in a separate thread, so we can keep track of things).

Catering officer? I've got the box of bits from the last one.

Shelter providers (who's got the rotating swap-meet marquee right now??)

Now if only I can get around to actually brewing something for the swap in between working, travelling & sleeping......

The marquee is in my garage taking up precious space. I was supposed to take it to cockos for whiteferret but it wouldn't fit. If he is still going to this one I'll get it to him.

MartinOC said:
So, Mofox's prize-winning stout?

Mofox for President & head-brewer on this one?

Recipe please (perhaps in a separate thread, so we can keep track of things).

Catering officer? I've got the box of bits from the last one.

Shelter providers (who's got the rotating swap-meet marquee right now??)

Now if only I can get around to actually brewing something for the swap in between working, travelling & sleeping......
I could be persuaded... I have tentative permission to play, anyway.

Any other recipes or head brewer nominations forthcoming? Mostly I just like to watch... mostly. :ph34r: :unsure:

I'd be happy to coordinate the food, I'll limit the "S" words, hah. Don't have any specialties myself but if folks could suggest what they can contribute I can start a food PM to get the ball rolling!

micbrews mad chicken ribs (if you can make it mate and have time)
Russ' spit (if you can also make it mate and have time)
Bread rolls to the moon and back

Both always go down a treat and feed the masses along with the rest of the wonders.

Yep chicken ribs locked in !

May need coffee and alarm clock for the shepp boys !!!
[emoji13][emoji13][emoji13]

Need to firm up attendees for food & cubing

Nathan , I can assist with food stuff as well

Is Russ coming? He's not on the list? I could bring a webber and cook a couple of roasts if we don't have a spit.

mofox1 said:
I could be persuaded... I have tentative permission to play, anyway.

Any other recipes or head brewer nominations forthcoming? Mostly I just like to watch... mostly. :ph34r: :unsure:
Does your recipe have oats in it? (or Rye?)
No biggie if not, just curious. ;)

Does Jesse RIS MacFadyen have a good stout recipe (that he's happy to share, of course) or would it be possible to have a crack at a RIS/semi-RIS?
Happy to go with a basic stout, but it seems like a RIS might be the other obvious option in the stouty direction.

I've got Wayne's recipe for his oaty stout, but i'd prefer to have his permission before posting it (i'm sure it'll be fine, but it's not mine, etc.).

However, it sounds like a few have tried yours, Mick, and are keen so i think we'll be going with your legendary stout. B)
I can help with the brewing stuff if you want, both in prep and on the day(s).

EDIT: Actually, just occurred to me that all of us who got extra D2 or Amber Candi syrup from the last big brew-up can easily toss 1kg into a regular stout wort and get a semi-RIS out of it (plus maybe adjusting the IBUs), if that's what anyone wants. Or just use a tin of goop for those that don't.
So maybe easiest to stick to, say, Mofox's recipe, and peeps can pimp it out from there.

Latest posts

Back