Vb Hop Schedule Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..... it reminds me of S23 (MAX SULPHUR)
I reckon the W34/70 is great, so clean and quick to condition.

strange how yeast work so differently for different brewers... :unsure:

We brew with S-23 every day & never had a whiff of sulphur, whereas 34/70 can be the sulphur king.

cheers Ross

....apologies for being off topic, but the original question was answered long ago even though it appears to have been largly ignored.

hi, i am having a go at making a VB tommorow.
it will be a 20 litre brew, heres my grain bill -
3.6kg B.B. Ale malt,
300g B.B. Wheat malt.
i will be using swiss lager yeast and POR hops.
i'm not sure on what hop schedule to use .
at moment thinking 60m-9g, 30m-9g, 15m-4g.

I bet you're glad you asked that question. :lol:

5 pages and going.

Enough with the sensible answering of questions.

I need to know if all the saisons Ive liked over the years fdermented at 29+ are shit! The bottle of double ******* I had was pretty boozy, Was that shit too? Ah man, I just dont know. What if Ive spent my life liking shit beers.

sawp the ale for pilsner malt
use dextrose to about 10%
POR at 60 min to about 20 ibu
no late hops
mash at 63 to 64
Im not sure how to get the carlton yeast skunk thing happening........ which is most of the flavour i think. I have never been able to replicate that.

good luck
I got something scarily close once when I blended s04 and the w-34/70 (?) strain, fermenting at 16c.

I doubt that the s04 did much, I think it was all the lager, proportionally underpitched and fermented warm. It cleaned up in the end to a nice beer, but I guess you could filter to halt the cleanup.

I got something scarily close once when I blended s04 and the w-34/70 (?) strain, fermenting at 16c.

I doubt that the s04 did much, I think it was all the lager, proportionally underpitched and fermented warm. It cleaned up in the end to a nice beer, but I guess you could filter to halt the cleanup.

I think I knocked back a couple of those? Was pretty close from memory

I think I knocked back a couple of those? Was pretty close from memory
probably, but the real thing was when I drew a fermenter sample for vitalstats, I made him comment on it before I said anything, and he said vb straight off the bat.

I think brussel sprouts taste like yellow and I dont like them. Wouldn't say they taste like shit, shit tastes completely different.
Try explaining that to someone at a dinner party :huh:

I think brussel sprouts taste like yellow and I dont like them. Wouldn't say they taste like shit, shit tastes completely different.
Try explaining that to someone at a dinner party :huh:

Thats very interesting Brad.
The Marco Polo hops I bought a while back tasted brown to me. Didn't think they tasted like shit back then :blink: , but ......... hang on a minute :icon_vomit: .

mmmmm...........Purple .............. :icon_drool2:

purple.jpeg

I thought POR bittering and cluster flavour addition was more Fourex than VB?

That's the impression I got from Milton too, POR bittering to 20 IBU, single cluster flavour addition.
Mind you they probably multi-stream now-days as well.

I have a recipe call The Fence Sitter which is basically a 2:1 ratio of Cluster to PoR (60 minutes), and BB Pale malt, S189 @12C, mashed at 64C.

It tastes like a State of Origin draw.

It doesn't taste of shit. It tastes like an Aussie Lager should.

If I was in this game for profit, I'd replace some of the malt with sugar, lower the mash temp, replace the hops with isohops - and advertise like buggary that my beer is FOR REAL BLOKES.

Because for some reason, Australian men have a bit of a macho complex. You can sell them anything if it makes them feel LIKE A MAN.

Beer should taste like NOTHING! And be COLD. And NOT BE GIRLY!

Someone might think you like other blokes if it tastes like flowers ... hop flowers.

Could you give me an example of one of these "Watery, foul-tasting crap"

I notice you put West End Draught in a different category :huh: :huh:

If you make a 1000ibu floral bowl of fruit beer and you like it, does it mean its not a shit beer??

Old gramps has been making beer for 30yrs.
Coopers Draught, 1kg table sugar, brewed in the shed at 29deg for 4 days.
Yes, technically a shit beer.
But old gramps loves it. Thinks its just the best.
He likes his better that yours. He says yours is shit.
Is he wrong????

If its not infected... or oxidized...

then its just a crap beer... not a shit beer ;)

I have a recipe call The Fence Sitter which is basically a 2:1 ratio of Cluster to PoR (60 minutes), and BB Pale malt, S189 @12C, mashed at 64C.

It tastes like a State of Origin draw.

It doesn't taste of shit. It tastes like an Aussie Lager should.

If I was in this game for profit, I'd replace some of the malt with sugar, lower the mash temp, replace the hops with isohops - and advertise like buggary that my beer is FOR REAL BLOKES.

Because for some reason, Australian men have a bit of a macho complex. You can sell them anything if it makes them feel LIKE A MAN.

Beer should taste like NOTHING! And be COLD. And NOT BE GIRLY!

Someone might think you like other blokes if it tastes like flowers ... hop flowers.

What about beer for gay footballers ?????

Having a flick thru the thread because its always interesting for me other peoples interpretations of hop bitterness.
If I made a VB it would be one malt 15% dex, sugar, cluster at 45min to 22-25 ibu, fermented with one of those dry lager yeasts. Never brewed one, buts there where I would start. I find cluster a great neutral hop that very rarely will leave noticable hop flavours in the finished beer.

Not sure if it was mentioned earlier or if you care but if you haven't already then work out the OG of vb. Pour some in a hydrometer tube to get the FG & then you know the abv & FG so can work out the OG.

The real benefit of doing this is that you'll have a hydrometer tube worth of vb that you don't have to drink. Obviously you'll have to deal with the shame of buying a can of vb.

The second paragraph was an attempt at one of those joke things I've been working on. Did I do good?

There is a reasonable argument that a brewer's ability is best measured by their ability to not make a good beer, but to make the same beer again and again..... reproducibility being the term.

If you visit the brewery in Melbourne and have a look at the flowchart that shows the production process you will see it clearly shows the bitterness being added post fermentation (well it did last time I was there).
MHb

I think, though, that you have to draw a line in the sand between The Brewer and The Brewer's Craft which is what is put to work to produce a traditional beer. And a barley-based drink which has come about through an intersection between brewing and food chemistry. Of course with the aid of chemistry you can make anything tightly reproducible. Being a biochemist myself, I'm aware of this. However, if some serious effort is put in.. (not *that* much, mind you) you can make a reproducible 'formula' using natural ingredients in their native forms at native concentrations (not extracts, not purified extracts from natural sources, not isomerases, etc which is the dodgespeak for 'nothing artificial' in a lot of these beers).

I think if one were to put a tight definition around what constitutes beer, most, if not all, mass scale 'beers' would fail. I'm not saying we should go with something like the reinheitsgebot because it wipes out a shedload of styles of beer. I think it would be quite easy for all Australian Craft Brewers to get together and come up with some sort of "HEART TICK" or something like that.. then all pool their moneys, and blitz the media.

Margarine looks like butter, but it is not butter.

Back