Vb Hop Schedule Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bullshit. It is a patently stupid statement. As if there aren't shit beers.

"There's no such thing as a bad beer, just some you might not choose to buy".
Its along the same lines as "Beer always tastes better when its free".

So go easy on your insults champ.

You called me a troll for saying something I mean. Go easy on the advice you ignore yourself, boss.

Yeah anyway, we all agree tha VB is not our drink of choice. Lets get back on track. I rather drink a VB with good mates than a pliny with dickheads.

I agree that if you need to buy your base malt it might be best to use pilsner over ale. I still reckon using some raw sugar over all dex and mashing real low. I like the idea of fermenting at a higher temp 17. Maybe that would replecate the results of the pressures in the big fermenters. Dont know but worth a try.

I alway use to hear the saying " There is no such thing as crap beer, just different levels of greatness! "

It also gets said about music... "No shit music, just music you like and the other kind".

BS, I agree with bum on every count.

My old man always says "The best beer is your next one". Took me a while to appreciate that; not so bullet proof anymore

Tony, I think it is in the yeast. XXXX gets that twang as well, which I liken to "mouse" - if you have ever known anyone who kept pet mice in cages, that's the faint whiff you get in their room and it's a fleeting aftertaste you get with VB or XXXX, up the back of the nose when you breathe out through the nose after the first swig.
On the other hand you don't get it with the locally brewed BUL such as Becks and Carlsberg. Now I bet the megas don't import their base malt from Gemany or Denmark - so the base ingredients are probably local and by elimination it would have to be the yeast.

Yes, and that's the primary reason I don't like "Aussie beer"

I always thought it tasted a bit like stale washing water, and you get that mouse whiff in some English beers too

Bullshit. It is a patently stupid statement. As if there aren't shit beers.

Yes, some beers might actually be contaminated and unsafe to drink, that would be a bad bad beer.

Thus there are bad beers and dad was wrong, but maybe not a dickhead

QED

I used to drink buckets of the stuff, can't remember last time I had one, but many posts above make me think of comment my father once said to me while we were discussing beer.

"There's no such thing as a bad beer, just some you might not choose to buy".

I reckon this somes it up.

I can't stand the look of many cars on the market, but does my not liking them make them bad aesthetically, apparently not, some experienced designer designed it for mass appeal, someone made it and many people buy them and continue to love them.

I say make your VBish clone using what wisdom you can gleen from this site, and once perfected enter it in a few competitions. It would be interesting to see how it went.

If it were a wine it might have a label produced by dedicated copywriters something like

Beautifully contained bitterness, slight hints of aroma apparent only for the most dedicated afficonado with a keen sensitivity. A single malt, single infusion mash, uncoloured by blending as is found with the finest spirits, and fermented with a strain of 100year old danish yeast. A joy of minimalist brewing utilising proudly Australian Hops. Enjoy now with friends.

Put in a green bottle with a nice craftbrewery style label and would be interesting to see how it was percieved.

:icon_offtopic:

Absolutely!! I couldn't agree more with you!

I've been thinking about bottling up a Carlton Draught in one of my bottles and testing it out at the next brew meeting. :ph34r:

Amazing how looking at things from a different angle and expressing it can stir some into a frenzy of blah.

I am always amazed at how most people (including me at times) can have an almost absolute fanatical belief that something they don't like is shit.

All the man asked for was some legitimate help on making a beer that tastes like VB. I read it to see the actual answer and chucked in a post that I thought might get some hilarious answers. Which it did.

Bum, any infected beer is a shit beer, not quite the angle the line is making.

So how do we make VB then?

Amazing how looking at things from a different angle and expressing it can stir some into a frenzy of blah.
Bum, any infected beer is a shit beer, not quite the angle the line is making.

Just thought I'd cut out the middle so that your hypocrisy is better illuminated. There are tonnes of routinely infected commercial beers unleashed upon the market and the breweries regularly describe these flaws as features. They are shit beers. SHIT BEERS. People might like them but that doesn't stop them from being shit. Bringing these beers up is entirely relevant to the statement "there's no such thing as a shit beer" so I'm completely comfortable with the angle of the dangle.

Just thought I'd cut out the middle so that your hypocrisy is better illuminated. There are tonnes of routinely infected commercial beers unleashed upon the market and the breweries regularly describe these flaws as features. They are shit beers. SHIT BEERS. People might like them but that doesn't stop them from being shit. Bringing these beers up is entirely relevant to the statement "there's no such thing as a shit beer" so I'm completely comfortable with the angle of the dangle.

Bum I think you just made my point.

Mate we should start a new thread for this one, it has potential to go on for while. Can't remember seeing any threads that got you quite so animated.

My best guess for that would be that you might only look in this forum. I'm being reasonably docile here, Mick, as I am sure some others may attest.

I would like to know though, how have I made your point? You glibly say "of course infected beers are shit" like it is irrelevant and then you somehow claim that my assertion that infections aren't irrelevant in relation to commercial beers proves your point that infections shouldn't count. The mind truly does boggle (and I've just picked up an 8-letter word).

Bum,

Ok I wasn't counting speedie's threads though. I'm smiling during this whole conversation.

I think Shit is subjective

You think Shit is objective

I can agree it can be both. I agree any infected beer is shit. And I agree there a beers I really prefer not to drink and I think are shit (blonde this, dry that, hahn anything) but are they really shit or do I just not like them.

My original point and the one my old man was trying to get across to me many, many moons ago when I thought I had a monoply on being correct and would fight to prove it is that just because we don't like something doesn't mean somebody else shouldn't either.

It was never meant to encompass infected or light struck beers or mishandled beers it's just about what a bloke likes.

Taste is and always will be largely subjective, with a few potentially objective components. For example I think anyone who likes aniseed must be half freaking alien, arguably anyone who likes it cannot have a palate or taste sensations remotely similar to mine, the chemicals obviously do different things to our brains. So if a bloke truly likes VB and could not be swayed because that's what he likes it doesn't make him a dickhead (BTW my old man, not a fan of VB)

The point you made for me was that people can be fanatical about what's shit. I think you would agree you are fanatical about what is shit.

I think we agree. No?

P.S. i have never used the word Glib before, I must work that into my vocabulary.

Yep and you got me, I hypocritically 'blah'ed at you looking at things differently to me. Bugger

Bum,

Ok I wasn't counting speedie's threads though. I'm smiling during this whole conversation.

I think Shit is subjective

You think Shit is objective

I can agree it can be both. I agree any infected beer is shit. And I agree there a beers I really prefer not to drink and I think are shit (blonde this, dry that, hahn anything) but are they really shit or do I just not like them.

My original point and the one my old man was trying to get across to me many, many moons ago when I thought I had a monoply on being correct and would fight to prove it is that just because we don't like something doesn't mean somebody else shouldn't either.

It was never meant to encompass infected or light struck beers or mishandled beers it's just about what a bloke likes.

Taste is and always will be largely subjective, with a few potentially objective components. For example I think anyone who likes aniseed must be half freaking alien, arguably anyone who likes it cannot have a palate or taste sensations remotely similar to mine, the chemicals obviously do different things to our brains. So if a bloke truly likes VB and could not be swayed because that's what he likes it doesn't make him a dickhead (BTW my old man, not a fan of VB)

The point you made for me was that people can be fanatical about what's shit. I think you would agree you are fanatical about what is shit.

I think we agree. No?

I think I have a man crush, your diplomacy is infectious.....and what you are saying is very true....although that could just be my opinion, subjection opinion....

Cheers mate, lose that crush though, **** if liking VB hits three pages Man Love is gonna earn you six.

I can be as grumpy an arsehole as anyone, and i bet there are plenty of real people who think i can be a real prick. but this forum is surely about learning and helping people not rubbishing them for their tastes.

I'm just not prepared to ditch too hard on someone I don't know (well most of the time). I normally prefer to save that until I know em, know they are smaller than me, know they are likely to pike first, and aren't a lunatic who collects ears.

Back