First BIAB recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree, there are lots of advantages to doing a longer mash.
With very high quality malt, that is perfectly crushed, fully hydrated, in liquor that has the ideal amounts of salts and micro trace elements (Zn, Cu, Mn...), step mashed at all the optimum temperatures, you will still get a better more consistent result mashing for 90minutes than you would at any shorter time. Its just a question of 1/ how much extract you are willing to give up and 2/ how much randomness you can live with.

You can go down the Brülosophy rabbit hole where apparently nothing matters or learn how things really work. Either way you will end up with beer, better or worse from the same ingredients is in the brewer's hands.

The other point I would like you to think about.
Dr Smurto, apart from being author of one of the most brewed recipes out there is a highly respected and experienced brewer, one of those I always listen to with respect, he really does know what he is talking about.
He recommends a 90 minute mash (no doubt there is more information supplied than just that) but when some novice brewer thinks he knows better - Jesus, going to stop now before I start swearing.
I made a couple batches with extract kits, and now I'm drowning in mediocre stout. I want to try all-grain BIAB method with my 7.5 gallon turkey fryer, but I need a recipe. Something lighter, lightly hoppy, more summery/refreshing, and something others will enjoy more since many of my friends drink amerilager and don't like my stout. Also, I have a whole bunch of US-05 I would like to use.

I will buy everything from my LHBS but I need to know what to buy.

Back