Vb Hop Schedule Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougsbrew

Beer Sloth
Reaction score
hi, i am having a go at making a VB tommorow.
it will be a 20 litre brew, heres my grain bill -
3.6kg B.B. Ale malt,
300g B.B. Wheat malt.
i will be using swiss lager yeast and POR hops.
i'm not sure on what hop schedule to use .
at moment thinking 60m-9g, 30m-9g, 15m-4g.

Looking forward to this thread developing into the standard bashing of aussie lagers. Not beer - but made from beer.

"...And there is a step where you have to urinate in it - can't call if it was before or after pitching the yeast"

Pretty sure that's already been done with the correct answer.

Looking forward to this thread developing into the standard bashing of aussie lagers. Not beer - but made from beer.

"...And there is a step where you have to urinate in it - can't call if it was before or after pitching the yeast"

yes, i am expecting that, but you have to remember that its one of australias highest selling beers(most liked).

yes, i am expecting that, but you have to remember that its one of australias highest selling beers(most liked).
Why do you present that as some sort of potential defence to future attacks upon its quality?

Why do you present that as some sort of potential defence to future attacks upon its quality?

is your suggestion that vb is of poor quality. the remark is not so much of a defence, more of a fact.

3.6kg B.B. Ale malt,
300g B.B. Wheat malt.

In lieu of bitching about how people consider VB, I'd suggest, since you already have some POR, try a single bittering addition to 18IBU as MHB suggested. Works out around 14 grams (@9.8% AA) for your grain bill.

most liked

sure it is skips love it

VB_Free_Beer_Blog_Feature_Lead_01.jpg

is your suggestion that vb is of poor quality. the remark is not so much of a defence, more of a fact.
The statement is fact-like but the context makes it defense-ish.

My suggestion is not that VB is of poor quality (although my opinion is that it is of poor quality). My suggestion is that you've pretty much already got your answer and there's nothing left for this thread apart from you being told to search for the hundreds of other threads where people answered this question seriously (average answer would prob be table sugar where you've got wheat and a single bittering addition of POR to MHB's IBU ball-park, mash low) or people shit-canning the beer (as already pointed out by unrealeous).

But seriously, you thought you were the first person who wanted to make VB and the answer wouldn't be here already? I mean, it is the best and most popular beer in the country, after all!

[EDIT: added quote for clarity]

3.6kg B.B. Ale malt,
300g B.B. Wheat malt.
I regularly do a very similar beer, but add about 5% sugar, and cara-pils instead of the wheat malt.

What you are making will taste nothing like VB, but it will be a fantastic beer!

Pride of Ringwood is a very under-appreciated hop. If you can get the flowers (check with Beerbelly.com.au) it's even better.

I regularly do a very similar beer, but add about 5% sugar, and cara-pils instead of the wheat malt.

What you are making will taste nothing like VB, but it will be a fantastic beer!

Pride of Ringwood is a very under-appreciated hop. If you can get the flowers (check with Beerbelly.com.au) it's even better.

thanx for that, what hop schedule do you use with POR. ie. more at start of boil or end?

I've tried Warmbeer's aussie lager clone, using both pellet and fresh POR - the fresh wins by a mile and has a unique, appealing flavour.

If I was using pellets it would be a single 60min addition only .. and use some sugar too.

word on the street says that fat yak and vb have the same IBUs. I would shoot for 25-28 IBUs with a single 60 min addition. 5% sugar is a good idea as well.

Also, ferment higher than ideal with that lager yeast...this is a mass produced beer, also filter it if you can.

Cheers
Phil

thanx for that, what hop schedule do you use with POR. ie. more at start of boil or end?

Mate....What sort of question is that, i dont mean too discourage questions though!.........Your question has already been answered. VB ''clone'' only needs bittering, this has been made clear. Why would you use late additions? Aroma/Flavour? I think not.

You are overcomplicating things with 'hop schedule". The majority of aussie commercial lagers are brewed using high grav methods, watered down and bittered during filtration....there is no 'hop schedule'

And just to clarify hopping basics

Beginning of boil = bitterness
Late in boil = Flavour
End of boil = Aroma

VB isn't a beer I enjoy, but I try not to confuse my opinion of a beer with the technical expertise that goes into the making of it. The major brewers are very good at doing something that is difficult and demanding i.e. making exactly the same beer batch after batch from ingredients that change all the time.

There is a reasonable argument that a brewer's ability is best measured by their ability to not make a good beer, but to make the same beer again and again..... reproducibility being the term.

If you visit the brewery in Melbourne and have a look at the flowchart that shows the production process you will see it clearly shows the bitterness being added post fermentation (well it did last time I was there).

We as home brewers can learn a lot from big brewers; fortunately we can take the bits that help us make the beer we want, not the beer they want us to like. But it would be a mistake to confuse the beer they make with their skill as brewers.

MHb

The majority of aussie commercial lagers are brewed using high grav methods, watered down and bittered during filtration....there is no 'hop schedule'
I don't believe this is true. Just because a brewery use high gravity doesn't mean they don't have a hop schedule - the addition of ISO hops at the end of the process is normally a bitterness adjustment (although it can be large one up to 70%).

Mate....What sort of question is that, i dont mean too discourage questions though!.........Your question has already been answered. VB ''clone'' only needs bittering, this has been made clear. Why would you use late additions? Aroma/Flavour? I think not.

You are overcomplicating things with 'hop schedule". The majority of aussie commercial lagers are brewed using high grav methods, watered down and bittered during filtration....there is no 'hop schedule'

And just to clarify hopping basics

Beginning of boil = bitterness
Late in boil = Flavour
End of boil = Aroma
i think i should change my original question. i am attempting a brew with vb like flavour, not exact copy.
so to rephrase -
what would be good hop schedule to get the most out of POR for my recipe resulting in a taste similar to VB.
i am using POR pellets at 10AA.

I don't believe this is true. Just because a brewery use high gravity doesn't mean they don't have a hop schedule - the addition of ISO hops at the end of the process is normally a bitterness adjustment (although it can be large one up to 70%).

Ok so there might be a iso addition during boil aswell..

Its all about IBU's

Back