Vb Hop Schedule Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate, if thats what you wanna do then go for it.
I would suggest a single bittering addition at 60min, for your batch around 15-20g depending on the IBUs you want.
I doubt there is much flavor hops in there/

i think i should change my original question. i am attempting a brew with vb like flavour, not exact copy.
so to rephrase -
what would be good hop schedule to get the most out of POR for my recipe resulting in a taste similar to VB.
i am using POR pellets at 10AA.

Ok so too answer the question I will HAVE to disregard anything to do with VB..

To make a beer out of any hop one has to know what you want the outcome to be. If I were to brew an aussie lager using POR, I would Bitter to a level that was just percievable, say 15-20 IBU's and maybe a small addition at 15 minutes for a hint of flavour/aroma.

There are two parts to your question - The first is "how to get the most out of POR" and then "a beer tasting similar to VB"......These two things shouldnt be explored in the same beer. Hop character in VB is little to none. Therefor you are simply using hops/isohops for reasons more related to beer stability, structure and perhaps some balance. Basically the core reasons hops are used in beer in the first place. So If you want to make a beer like VB, Just add hops at 60 mins .... IBU's 15-25......If you want to taste POR then use more liberally throughout boil, but the resulting beer will be more of an aussie Pale ale in its hop character.

Hi,
Id only add a 60 min addition although with the australian ale I make I also add a mash hop addition. Also I think adding some raw sugar or mashing low around 64 is a goo idea. I type in some numbers below.

Cheers

vb.jpg

thanx for replies to help refine my recipe. this is where its at now.
3.6kg B.B. Ale malt,
300g B.B. Wheat malt.
200g dextrose.
swiss lager yeast.
hop schedule -
POR 60min-16g, 10min-5g. ibu21.

Fosters on their website (haven't looked for a while) state that the hops are added on the way to the packing line. Their hop extracts are produced at a factory in Melbourne. AFAIK they are not just isohop but contain flavour and aroma elements as well. For example Oettinger from Germany is pleasantly hoppy but the label announces "hopsextract" so extracts aint extracts. Melbourne Bitter has a bit of hop character that it does not share with VB but according to a forum member who knows, they are the same beer but "dressed" differently with caramel and hops after filtering and this is fairly apparent on tasting.

So POR should just about get you there as it will impart a bit of flavour even after 60 mins.
Use 600g of white cane sugar to approximate their 30% of fermentables from white sugar.

And if you have time and money, get yourself a pack of Wyeast Danish Lager yeast which is apparently closer to CUB yeast than S-189.
For a trial run, US-05 fermented cool would produce a clean batch as well.
Personally I'd lose the wheat.

I agree, no wheat and + 500gms sugar or dex. You want need the late addition either. POR is powerful stuff.
Daz

sawp the ale for pilsner malt
use dextrose to about 10%
POR at 60 min to about 20 ibu
no late hops
mash at 63 to 64
Im not sure how to get the carlton yeast skunk thing happening........ which is most of the flavour i think. I have never been able to replicate that.

good luck

Tony, I think it is in the yeast. XXXX gets that twang as well, which I liken to "mouse" - if you have ever known anyone who kept pet mice in cages, that's the faint whiff you get in their room and it's a fleeting aftertaste you get with VB or XXXX, up the back of the nose when you breathe out through the nose after the first swig.
On the other hand you don't get it with the locally brewed BUL such as Becks and Carlsberg. Now I bet the megas don't import their base malt from Gemany or Denmark - so the base ingredients are probably local and by elimination it would have to be the yeast.

A lot of the previous poster's give you good info as per your original & amended posts dougsbrew but for the very life of me I can't comprehend why anyone in their right mind who has access to all the excellent information on this forum would want to imitate that dog's dribble when there are so many excellent beers to be had out there? "Shakes head sadly" :( :(
Better to give the homebrewing game away altogether, save all those $$$'s buying gear, & just pick up your favourite carton of megaswill every payday.

TP

I agree, no wheat and + 500gms sugar or dex. You want need the late addition either. POR is powerful stuff.
Daz

:icon_offtopic:
Putting a lager into this years BABBs comp are we Daz?
:p

Not just the yeast, even if you were given that (and I know brewers who have used the strains from the big guys) you wont get the same beer.

Brewing in a 50-60 meter high conical is going to change the way the yeast works, at 50 meters from P=gdh g 9.81, d say 1.050, h 50 m your looking at a pressure of over 500kPa; that will affect the yeast and change the fusels and esters it throws.

There are more differences between home brew and commercial brewing than just the ingredients.
MHB

sawp the ale for pilsner malt
use dextrose to about 10%
POR at 60 min to about 20 ibu
no late hops
mash at 63 to 64
Im not sure how to get the carlton yeast skunk thing happening........ which is most of the flavour i think. I have never been able to replicate that.

good luck
Ooh I know s23 fermented at 17 deg, I tried it on my last brew and it has come out with that exact yeasty flavor

Cheers matho

Ooh I know s23 fermented at 17 deg, I tried it on my last brew and it has come out with that exact yeasty flavor

Ooooo yes your right...... s23 would be perfect!

i used it once and hated it!

:icon_offtopic:

Back in the day when I brewed K&K and thought Tooheys Draught was the ducks nuts, I brewed a can of Tooheys Draught and a kilo of sugaazzzz, along with a bit of DME and pitched it with S23. Due to an unexpected o/s abscence, it sat on the tuckerbox freeer in our laundry for about 10 weeks at all sorts of temperature fluctuations. Funnily enough, I bottled it and it turned out very clean; no skunkiness at all...

A lot of the previous poster's give you good info as per your original & amended posts dougsbrew but for the very life of me I can't comprehend why anyone in their right mind who has access to all the excellent information on this forum would want to imitate that dog's dribble when there are so many excellent beers to be had out there? "Shakes head sadly" :( :(
Better to give the homebrewing game away altogether, save all those $$$'s buying gear, & just pick up your favourite carton of megaswill every payday.

TP

if i was able to make that dogs dribble as you refer to it as, id be a rich man. ive been home brewing for a long time and love it with no plans to give the game away, only to improve through trail and error and sharing info, asking questoins such as on this AHB website. i appreciate all those helpful tips that i have received.

TP
I'm sorry but I have to agree. You can't polish a turd , and why would you want to ? As TP suggests, if you have the equipment to explore fresh, exciting new tastes , let the mega swillers do their stuff and get on with yours, the very reason you joined this site I suggest, to make better beer. No offence intended,

cheers

I have had excellent results using Super Pride rather than regular POR - it brews an excellent Australian lager. If you use a chiller, a 60 minute addition will still provide copious aroma for the style.

I would also agree with the posters suggesting Pilsner malt. It has as very agreeable character compared to the no-character that ale malt in a lager tends to have.

I used to drink buckets of the stuff, can't remember last time I had one, but many posts above make me think of comment my father once said to me while we were discussing beer.

"There's no such thing as a bad beer, just some you might not choose to buy".

I reckon this somes it up.

I can't stand the look of many cars on the market, but does my not liking them make them bad aesthetically, apparently not, some experienced designer designed it for mass appeal, someone made it and many people buy them and continue to love them.

I say make your VBish clone using what wisdom you can gleen from this site, and once perfected enter it in a few competitions. It would be interesting to see how it went.

If it were a wine it might have a label produced by dedicated copywriters something like

Beautifully contained bitterness, slight hints of aroma apparent only for the most dedicated afficonado with a keen sensitivity. A single malt, single infusion mash, uncoloured by blending as is found with the finest spirits, and fermented with a strain of 100year old danish yeast. A joy of minimalist brewing utilising proudly Australian Hops. Enjoy now with friends.

Put in a green bottle with a nice craftbrewery style label and would be interesting to see how it was percieved.

I used to drink buckets of the stuff, can't remember last time I had one, but many posts above make me think of comment my father once said to me while we were discussing beer.

"There's no such thing as a bad beer, just some you might not choose to buy".
Tell your dad I said he's a dickhead. Plenty of unbalanced, routinely infected beers on the market. Shit beer - no question. Given th context I should point out that VB is never sold infected, of course.

34/70 quite warm produces mercaptan for that VB "sewer" taste. I did a too-early diacetyl rest on a carlton clone once and it was there.

Getting the last drop of flavour from the PoR still eludes me.

But that doesn't really matter now though - I'd rather chase tastier rainbows.

Back