Using A March Pump For Racking Primary To Secondary?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenkentucky

Reaction score
Hey guys both myself and my assistant are getting a bit long in the tooth and am finding constantly lifting 50litre fermenters (after racking from primary to secondary) from the floor to our fermenting bench is doing in our backs, I know the risks of oxygen etc, but am wondering if some of you who use march pumps would recommend using them as an answer to our problem, so that I could leave both fermenters on the table( avoiding the lift) or do they introduce oxygen, I would be pumping from tap to tap so as to prevent splashing. while I have a few wine pumps, I think they are a bit of overkill. Any advice or guidance is appreciated.
Regards
Stephen

Can you avoid secondary or are you adding fruit/oak or chocolate or something?

You need one of these, my friend...

trolleyScissor2.jpg

Try using CO2, I know BribieG does this to transfer from a plastic 60L fermenter to a keg. what fermenting vessel are you using?

Can you avoid secondary or are you adding fruit/oak or chocolate or something?
I have always found that 2 stage ferment leaves me with a cleaner product, as I try to never filter either my wines or beer, it is a habit I'm loathe to throw out, although Sunshine I am open to this if all else fails. Thanks for the idea.
Regards
Stephen

What about a perastaltic pump? That way your wort does not come in contact with the pump, only the hoses.

Cheers

Try using CO2, I know BribieG does this to transfer from a plastic 60L fermenter to a keg. what fermenting vessel are you using?

Standard old HDPE plastic drums, using CO2 is an option as I have Huge CO2 bottles and could make up a lid with a gas disconnect, Sunshine, you just may be a genius ( judging by the last photo you posted ...a very bent genius...but a genius all the same)

What about a perastaltic pump? That way your wort does not come in contact with the pump, only the hoses.

Cheers

Pretty good idea Brad but have had some negative impressions of peristaltic's with wine they are very slow and if the squeeze tube becomes brittle they break without warning, last time cost me 300lt of shiraz. They are the most gentle of pumps, but quite expensive....I wont throw that one out yet it still may be the answer. Thanks Brad
Regards
Stephen

hey thanks for the links Sunshine some great ideas there, I am working the Bar tonight so if I disappear I will pick up the ideas after the punters go, we have got a wake on here tonight, for one of the young blokes who used to work for us, the poor ******* fell asleep at the wheel last Saturday, only 20 years old. And a real nice bloke. oh well back to the bar, catch ya when I can escape.

There's no reason why you can't use a pump to transfer to secondary. We do it at work everyday.

Just recirc the pump and hoses really well with choice of cleaner (hot caustic / pbw / etc.) followed with a good no rinse sanitiser. Have the sanitation recircing for 10 minutes. minimum. When ready, leave the pump/lines primed, drop intake hose into primary and transfer away. Be aware the first litre or so will be sanitiser. Perhaps throttle your pump down at start, have a couple of clean glasses handy so you can taste the runnings. Once you confirm it's beer, drop the hose into your secondary vessel. As always, rack (transfer) quietly, etc.

And spit, don't swallow the first of transfer at taste testing :blink:

Best of luck,
reVox

There's no reason why you can't use a pump to transfer to secondary. We do it at work everyday.

Just recirc the pump and hoses really well with choice of cleaner (hot caustic / pbw / etc.) followed with a good no rinse sanitiser. Have the sanitation recircing for 10 minutes. minimum. When ready, leave the pump/lines primed, drop intake hose into primary and transfer away. Be aware the first litre or so will be sanitiser. Perhaps throttle your pump down at start, have a couple of clean glasses handy so you can taste the runnings. Once you confirm it's beer, drop the hose into your secondary vessel. As always, rack (transfer) quietly, etc.

And spit, don't swallow the first of transfer at taste testing :blink:

Best of luck,
reVox
Thank you Revox that was the reassurance I was looking for, I think I will go down this path, cheers for taking the time to respond, I appreciate the selfless help from all who take the time to help.
Regards
Stephen

Thank you Revox that was the reassurance I was looking for, I think I will go down this path, cheers for taking the time to respond, I appreciate the selfless help from all who take the time to help.
Regards
Stephen

My pleasure, mate. Let us know how you go
thumbs_up.gif

I was at this place buying some A.G. supplies just last week and saw these plant bags.

http://www.fernland.com.au/pdf/growrite_plant_bags.pdf

The large ones will fit a 50lt fermenter and the sling handles will make it a snap to lift with a chain block, I bought one just for this propose. Looks the goods and only $7.50, can't help looking at stuff with brewing in mind. :rolleyes:

I looked at pumps but ended up fitting a John Guest bulkhead fitting into the lid of the FV to take my naked gas line, and just run the beer from the bottom tap of the 60L through a silicone tube into the kegs or, if necessary, into a couple of conditioning cubes. It goes like a shower of the proverbial and no extra cleanup.

Edit: also if you CO2 flush the receiving vessels, clingwrap them then stick the hose down through the clingwrap you'll ensure that the beer makes no contact with oxygen during the whole process. To me, pumps scream oxygenisation / splashing.

Latest posts

Back