Using A March Pump For Racking Primary To Secondary?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edit: also if you CO2 flush the receiving vessels, clingwrap them then stick the hose down through the clingwrap you'll ensure that the beer makes no contact with oxygen during the whole process. To me, pumps scream oxygenisation / splashing.

Yep, we C02 purge our bright tanks (receiving vessels) before transfer. It's definitely good SOP. You will have no oxygenation or splashing during the transfer so long as you correctly recirc the pump with sanitiser which effectively purges the pump/lines of oxygen. And again, you'll keep those lines fully primed before dropping into primary where you begin pulling liquid only. Rack slowly until you pull a Litre or two where the receiving hose is submerged, and ramp it up.

You know, we're talking homebrewing here. I doubt he's using pressure vessels so really, c02 purging a receiving vessel is probably overkill (I've never done this at home, even once). But certainly, it wouldn't hurt anything - can only potentially help the cause. Just don't forget, c02 kills so don't go overboard with the stuff and be aware of your environment.

And if you're using dicky Australian screw-top plastic fermenters, they're oxygen permeable anyway so I wouldn't really spit hairs over potentially exposing a very small amount of oxygen at transfer anyway.

reVox

The large ones will fit a 50lt fermenter and the sling handles will make it a snap to lift with a chain block, I bought one just for this propose. Looks the goods and only $7.50, can't help looking at stuff with brewing in mind. :rolleyes:

Good find there Batz. Looking to the future. Considering their makeup postage should be quite reasonable.

When you say 'large one' which size is that exactly.

Cheers, Hoges.

I did like Sunshines idea, and had a good laugh :p .

I don't bother racking into a secondary anymore. From listening to podcast some people believe that it isn't need on a homebrew scale and the yeast can actually help. On a commercial scale however it is definately needed because the vessels are so much larger that the pressure on the yeast cake is alot higher that it squashes the yeast to the point where autolisis flavours can leach into the beer.

Anyway that said I do use a March pump that I hook onto my fermenter (after sanitising pump and hoses with Star San) and connect the other end of the hose via a disconnect to the outlet of my keg. I normally already have Co2 in the keg from flushing out Sanitiser and because the beer pumps in through the outlet it fills up from the bottom therefor limiting the oxygen in my beer.

Good find there Batz. Looking to the future. Considering their makeup postage should be quite reasonable.

When you say 'large one' which size is that exactly.

Cheers, Hoges.

I'll grab you one next time I'm there if you like Hoges, I usually shop there every month or so.

I was at this place buying some A.G. supplies just last week and saw these plant bags.

http://www.fernland.com.au/pdf/growrite_plant_bags.pdf

The large ones will fit a 50lt fermenter and the sling handles will make it a snap to lift with a chain block, I bought one just for this propose. Looks the goods and only $7.50, can't help looking at stuff with brewing in mind. :rolleyes:
Another great idea, i have been thinking about building a mini crane block and tackle to remove the malt pipe from the braumeister, I might be able to get dual use from it. food for thought.

I was at this place buying some A.G. supplies just last week and saw these plant bags.

http://www.fernland.com.au/pdf/growrite_plant_bags.pdf

Excellent idea Batz cheap and worth following up on. although I am also keen on the idea of CO2 transfer

Get a 200L braumeister and it comes with hoist. 50l is just for pisshead amateurs. :p

P.S. I could manage well enough with the 20L version myself.

Peristalsic pump all the way.. I use one and it works a treat for this sort of work. I have never had a tube fail, the neoprene tubing is pretty good stuff... It's slow, gentle, and 100% non turbulent, so time isn't the issue.

All the lifting devices are a good idea, but one little pump can pump any volume, and even when your 95 years old, providing you can connect the tubes and flick a switch, you can still do it.. :) of course, if the tube splits, your 95 year old arthritic fingers might stop you from feeding replacement tubing back into the pump head!

Peristalsic pump all the way.. I use one and it works a treat for this sort of work. I have never had a tube fail, the neoprene tubing is pretty good stuff... It's slow, gentle, and 100% non turbulent, so time isn't the issue.

All the lifting devices are a good idea, but one little pump can pump any volume, and even when your 95 years old, providing you can connect the tubes and flick a switch, you can still do it.. :) of course, if the tube splits, your 95 year old arthritic fingers might stop you from feeding replacement tubing back into the pump head!

Thanks for the input Keiran admittedly the Peristalsic we were using had been cleaned out with a caustic cleaner by one of the "brain surgeons" we had working for us during vintage, we do believe that this may have contributed to the pump tube becoming brittle, it still hurt to see all that wine go to waste....

What about a folding engine crane? About two-fiddy $ seems to be cheapest. Or maybe make one sorta like it?

Back