Users Of The "no Chiller Method"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my NC BPA is now in its bottles.
The taste from the fermenter was nice. No taste of infectio ... aaarrrggghh!

;)

D'oh. I never thought I'd be posting bad news in here. I've lost a batch to a cube. My oldest cube, should have aborted when the sealing ring fell out of the lid near the brewery, but I was lazy and filled the cube anyway. Bugger. Smells a bit like beer coming out of the neck of the cube, so it could be wild yeast got in there.

Will be tipping it down the loo and chucking the cube.

I've done about 30 no-chills. This is the only one gone bad on me. =(

I vote we start a partition to end this thread. It's as if I have contracted some mutated form of botulism that compels me to open this thread every time it raises its ugly head. I know I know....if u dont like it dont read it.......well..........I CANT..........I got issues, its a disease, please help and end this reign of terror that is the "users of the NO CHILL METHOD" thread.
The pain.... the nightmares.... it plagues me. I have ended our familys contract with the Palm Springs water company as I was getting worried about Botulism growing in the water bottles. I can't even look a bottle of milk in the eye now. If anything is within 3 days of it's used by date, its in the bin.
I started this thread on a UK forum and got 2 responses.
Anyway I am going out to Super Chlorinate my pool....again.

Steve

I have done a few no-chills in the past, but I will be back to using a heat exchanger from now on!
Cheers
Gerard

Yeah, OK OK OK, thanks guys. So I stuffed up. Lesson learnt, be vigilant, follow "the method" 100%. 97% is not good enough.

I have done a few no-chills in the past, but I will be back to using a heat exchanger from now on!
Cheers
Gerard

I've got a heat exchanger! I dump the jerry into the laundry trough and fill it with cold water.

Thats what I've been doing Kai. My 70ltr boiler is too large to fit in my 'ice-bath' (read: laundry tub), but my jerrys fit in perfectly.

No-chilling promotes chill haze?

I've done a few no-chill pilseners.

A week in primary, two weeks, secondary, a month lagering...

...and so clear you could read the newspaper through it.

Hundreds of posts ago there was a challenge from the nay-sayers about how much water people used everyday. Well I've received my latest bill and over a 12 month period, my household used an average of 90 litres per person per day. Considering the Australian average is 340 litres per person per day, we're using only 26.5% of the Australian average. I think that's certainly worth some bragging rights.

Maybe I can afford to start using my CFC agian ;) .

Cheers
MAH

I wonder where that Go8 education in public health came from?

Go8 is short for Group of Eight. They're the top universities in Australia.

I studied at the same university which has produced 3 Nobel Laureates and 100 Rhodes Scholars..........which also happens to be the same university you attended :lol: .

Cheers
MAH

340 litres a day? Ouch! With a 20K litre tank for all water for three people, we must have less than three weeks supply for the average household. Seems to last us a couple of months no problems.

As far a using a wort chiller, being on tank water it is even more of an option, I suppose. I could easily just run the water back into the tank. But NC works a treat, so I couldn't be bothered. Besides, it removes all possibility of contamination from the untreated tank water -- and that's a MUCH bigger concern for me than some paranoia about the minute chance of botulism.

Hundreds of posts ago there was a challenge from the nay-sayers about how much water people used everyday. Well I've received my latest bill and over a 12 month period, my household used an average of 90 litres per person per day. Considering the Australian average is 340 litres per person per day, we're using only 26.5% of the Australian average. I think that's certainly worth some bragging rights.

Maybe I can afford to start using my CFC agian ;) .

Cheers
MAH

Tried to get an understanding for this so thought i would ask. So after whirpooling and letting it settle do you put it straight into a cube? Then do you make sure the wort is right up to the top by squeezing before you put the lid on?Leaving it outside overnight to cool down then refrigerate to pitch when ready??

Cheer Ben

Tried to get an understanding for this so thought i would ask. So after whirpooling and letting it settle do you put it straight into a cube?

Then do you make sure the wort is right up to the top by squeezing before you put the lid on?

Leaving it outside overnight to cool down then refrigerate to pitch when ready??

Cheer Ben

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

2a. You might have some air in the handle, depending on how much u squeeze the cube. if so, lay on side for 30mins or so.

If you are going to pitch the next day, just rack it straight to your fermenter.

cheers

Browndog

ok cool had any losses to no chill method??

Who the hell started up this thread again :angry:

There must be a lot of household using a lot of water as our average is about 100 litres a day too. Not much really! considering I would drink two litres of beer a day + water

Steve

Back