Users Of The "no Chiller Method"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone else had troubles with caps not fitting tight enough when no-chilling? I tried to squeeze all the air out of a 20L Willow jerry can today and the lid wouldn't hold the pressure. It just seemed to suck more air in a expand back out to its original size. I tried the lid off my other (identical) jerry can and it did the same thing.

Has anyone else had troubles with caps not fitting tight enough when no-chilling? I tried to squeeze all the air out of a 20L Willow jerry can today and the lid wouldn't hold the pressure. It just seemed to suck more air in a expand back out to its original size. I tried the lid off my other (identical) jerry can and it did the same thing.

Sounds like you lost the washer inside the lid.

If it's not the washer missing, then you should try to buy a lid spanner.

I recommend that you cool and pitch that wort ASAP.

The washer is still there. If I turn it far enough it seems to come off the thread and just slips around further.

The washer is still there. If I turn it far enough it seems to come off the thread and just slips around further.

I bought two 20L cubes last week, and one leaked. When you look at the lid in wasn't flat (and no not cross threaded) but the end of the bottle wasn't ground off flush.
Took it back and swapped it.

Jay

a little food grade lube on the seal might help the situation. Did the trick for me.

I am going to go no-chill for my beers once I start brewing - but was wondering, after reading the thread about taste testing water from the cubes and the results showed that the cubed water had a strong plastic taste.

I understand that this can happen - and that most of you put boiling water in the cube a few times (sorta like seasoning a wok).

How many times do you 'season' the cube before you would use it? Or is this fear of leaching plastic flavours sorta like HSA, and you would be willing to use the cube (after washing and sanitizing) straight from the shop?

I kept doing it till i couldn't taste plastic anymore .... it took a few goes

I kept doing it till i couldn't taste plastic anymore .... it took a few goes

Shit :eek: I didnt even know about this, I didnt do it with my cube, glad I didnt get a plastic taste and ive used my cube for 8 batches so far!

No chill lager is a bit tricky as you try to avoid as much trub as possible.
I chilled my last batch over two days and had to rack it carefully off it.
Not very confident though...
I'll be using fining on this one I'd say if Haven't already kill it (the batch) with stressed out yeast :(

I'd have to agree with regards to lagers. I've never been totally happy with the numerous no chill attempts I made. Ales seem to be much more forgiving and I've never had clarity issues with either.

I have been reading through this great thread for the past hour skipping a bit,I just want to know about storing cubes, there is a fair amount of people pitching next day but for me I would do a double batch and cube, And when a keg is free or close too, Ferment it giving me differant beers on tap instead of a double batch of the same beer.

Is two weeks ok in the cube without a risk of a infection any comments would be great,To me it seems like a good way to keep up instead of running out of beer.

Even picting on yeast cake cause you have on ready to go in a cube just wack it in.
And there is more pros then cons that I have been reading.

cheers
sav.

No problems at all. I had a porter in a cube for a few months that ended up being a great beer. Just keep it out of the sun and somewhere cool.

Kabooby :)

I have been reading through this great thread for the past hour skipping a bit,I just want to know about storing cubes, there is a fair amount of people pitching next day but for me I would do a double batch and cube, And when a keg is free or close too, Ferment it giving me differant beers on tap instead of a double batch of the same beer.

Is two weeks ok in the cube without a risk of a infection any comments would be great,To me it seems like a good way to keep up instead of running out of beer.

Even picting on yeast cake cause you have on ready to go in a cube just wack it in.

cheers
sav.

I wouldn't want to keep a cube for more than 6 months...anything under that is fine (if your cleaning and sanitising is up to scratch)

Here's an article in the wiki which should shed more light on the subject

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=56

Cheers

Edit: Some of the IBU's have reported 1+ year storage with their cubes without issue

I generally have little time to brew because of family and spending time her so my no chills effort don't stay in cubes too long, say 2-3 month max.

I have a cube sitting in my garage for a bout 2-3 weeks no and it is about 30 degrees.
Should I be concerned?

I wouldn't want to keep a cube for more than 6 months...anything under that is fine (if your cleaning and sanitising is up to scratch)

What happens at month 7 that doesn't happen at month 6?
Ray Mills has pitched yeast on wort from a cube well over 12 months old. No dramas, and a lovely beer, by his report.

I generally have little time to brew because of family and spending time her so my no chills effort don't stay in cubes too long, say 2-3 month max.

I have a cube sitting in my garage for a bout 2-3 weeks no and it is about 30 degrees.
Should I be concerned?

No more than buying a wort pack from a homebrew store ;) I think direct sunlight skunking your hops is the main thing to worry about. If the wort is sanitary, and it should be damn close if not completely sterile from packing so hot, I don't think you'll have issues. Maybe a little oxidising might be going on??? But your yeast will take care of that.

I am a big fan of the minimal water usage and time savings using this method.

Less time brewing makes SWMBO a little happier! ;)

Why?? The commercially accepted best by date is 2 years...& probably fine for a long while after that dependent on storage conditions.

cheers Ross

I love my NCing.....

I got all my bits and pieces together on Saturday and started AG (BIAB) brewing on Saturday night, which I no-chilled, then I brewed Sunday and no-chilled that....

Then realising that I was going back to work next week and stuff was going to start getting hectic around here, I decided to pitch those on mon/tues respectively and then was able to brew on mon/tues while my wife was at work and the daughter was at childcare....

This means I have two currently fermenting and two on the runway waiting a free fermenter....

Once they have been pitched, I will probably try to do another 2 ASAP to make sure I always have some ready to go.

Why?? The commercially accepted best by date is 2 years...& probably fine for a long while after that dependent on storage conditions.

cheers Ross

Are you sure Ross?
I would expect the hop/malt flavours and aromas to degrade long before 2 yrs. A can of goo tastes and smell completely different when it is nearing it's end date and the malt is considerably darker as well. Could the Fresh Wort kits be that much different?

Would have thought the Best by date would be half that at least.

Andrew

Latest posts

Back