Users Of The "no Chiller Method"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duff

Worst Website Ever....
Reaction score
I brewed 3 AG's this weekend, all with the no chill method.

Two yesterday were put in kegs straight out of the kettle and topped up with CO2. Left overnight and racked to fermenters today by siphon. A huge amount of break by leaving out overnight, with the wort crystal clear but lost alot with break material. I think if anyone was to do this then they would need to factor in at least 2 to 3 litres extra to compensate for break when transferring to the fermenter.

Seems good so far, just finished an Oktoberfest which is in a 20L cube, will see tomorrow how much wort minus break I'll end up with.

Cheers.

Duff said:
[post="115200"][/post]​

Wow. Impressive work Duff. Nearly up to Doc speed.

Good that you are testing this. Let us know how you go.

i am planing on trying this method out of curiosity but i did try one ESB fresh wort kit years back

an amber ale from memory.

i do recal it was hazy when chilled but we will see

cheers

Duff said:

Two yesterday were put in kegs straight out of the kettle and topped up with CO2. Left overnight and racked to fermenters today by siphon.
[post="115200"][/post]​

Duff- why siphon? Why not push the wort out of the keg with CO2?

Cheers
Gerard

Gerard_M said:
Duff said:

Two yesterday were put in kegs straight out of the kettle and topped up with CO2. Left overnight and racked to fermenters today by siphon.
[post="115200"][/post]​

Duff- why siphon? Why not push the wort out of the keg with CO2?

Cheers
Gerard
[post="115461"][/post]​

Wouldnt that result with all the break material and proteins in the fermenter(a no-no as seen in Arthurs post)???

Didn't want to suck up the break. Will rack my Oktoberfest this afternoon to a fermenter. I'm hoping with a 20L cube and tap that most of the break should settle down the sides.

Cheers.

I have been reading this topic just about every hour <_< time to decide, I have 21.5L of fresh just finished boiling wort to go into a cube or chilled etc, what do I do? <_< I will toss a coin :( back soon.

Weizguy said:
Just rinse the cube out, and allow the hot wort to sanitise it!

QED
Seth out :p
[post="115536"][/post]​

What you're espousing Weiz is very much akin to utilising a used condom. :ph34r:

Warren -

How do you recycle a condom?
You shake the F#*k out of it!

Ag#11 is now in a cube hot :) had to draw off some to feed the starter [ after it is cool] I had going just in case I changed my mind. :huh: will pitch it Wed afternoon in the new wort, if it cools down :( it was 95c going in.

Next He'll be telling you to 'Put your manners back in!'

mandrakar, you didnt edit out 'something else' silly did you??

warrenlw63 said:
Weizguy said:
Just rinse the cube out, and allow the hot wort to sanitise it!

QED
[post="115536"][/post]​

What you're espousing Weiz is very much akin to utilising a used condom. :ph34r:

Warren -
[post="115552"][/post]​
Thanks Warren,

I didn't mean to sound that I'm advocating poor practice.
I was just trying to give Brent a (weak) possible explanation for the "less sanitising" comment.

Maybe I should keep quiet while all these literal-minded AHBers are online.

Naaaahh!

...and they did recycle condoms back in the days when they made connies of pig gut, and didn't know better.

Linz said:
Next He'll be telling you to 'Put your manners back in!'

mandrakar, you didnt edit out 'something else' silly did you??
[post="115669"][/post]​

Nah.. the "edit" was simply the PS:

M

Well I find this topic very interesting,it would be one of the most followed topics on this computer for sometime.

I own a ccfc and don't find this adds much time to my brew day,it and the tubing is filled with Phos. acid during the boil, as the the wort flows all the Phos. acid is pushed out,then it into the fermenter.

But I am giving this no chill a run next brew day , worth a shot.

Batz

Batz.

I do something similar. Nothing wrong with a bit of yummy ally seasoning. :lol:

At least we get the canned beer experience. :blink:

Warren -

Dicko

Great point, as I for one are soon to be new to AG brewing. This thread has interested me greatly over the last few days as I am gathering the equipment to go All grain.

I am certainly going to try this method from the get go as I believe there are more upsides than downsides (DMS), for me as a newbie such as;

1. Not having to buy/make an immersion chiller
2. Not having to use an immersion chiller.

One less thing I have to complicate my already (seemingly) complex task ahead.

This might be a great way to simplify the jump to AG brewing. Less moving parts less that can go wrong.

Great info from all sides me thinks. :)

Cheers,

Smasher.

I have just racked my coopers pale ale clone into secondary, this brew went through the no chiller method as I described in an earlier thread.
Bear in mind that this is my staple house ale and as you can see from my signature I brew it a LOT, so I am fairly confident that my observations are accurate. This is a very light beer that is not malt or hop driven so off flavours or aromas will be very evident.

Fermentation time was the same, finishing gravity was as expected. I can not detect ANY sign of DMS in the fermented wort. The wort is clearer than usual, possibly due to the removal by racking of all the cold break prior to the yeast being pitched. The flavour seems to me to be cleaner/crisper, again possibly due to the cold break removal (or my imagination).

So, definately no infections, I am pretty certain there is no DMS and the quality of the beer is not deminished in any way. And I was able to go back to bed and sleep off my hangover about an hour earlier on brewday :blink: .
To me the benefits from the "No chiller method" is flexability on brewday, the ability to do a double batch without waiting for my wort to be force chilled with my IC before I can start the sparge of the second brew is great. Also the ability to get a head on brews when fermentation space is limited is a benefit too.
I think it has it's place, but I am still happy to cool my wort with the IC on a normal day.

Cheers
Andrew

:) :p :ph34r:

Warren -

Graphic1.jpg

AndrewQLD said:
I have just racked my coopers pale ale clone into secondary, this brew went through the no chiller method as I described in an earlier thread.
Bear in mind that this is my staple house ale and as you can see from my signature I brew it a LOT, so I am fairly confident that my observations are accurate. This is a very light beer that is not malt or hop driven so off flavours or aromas will be very evident.

Fermentation time was the same, finishing gravity was as expected. I can not detect ANY sign of DMS in the fermented wort. The wort is clearer than usual, possibly due to the removal by racking of all the cold break prior to the yeast being pitched. The flavour seems to me to be cleaner/crisper, again possibly due to the cold break removal (or my imagination).

So, definately no infections, I am pretty certain there is no DMS and the quality of the beer is not deminished in any way. And I was able to go back to bed and sleep off my hangover about an hour earlier on brewday :blink: .
To me the benefits from the "No chiller method" is flexability on brewday, the ability to do a double batch without waiting for my wort to be force chilled with my IC before I can start the sparge of the second brew is great. Also the ability to get a head on brews when fermentation space is limited is a benefit too.
I think it has it's place, but I am still happy to cool my wort with the IC on a normal day.

Cheers
Andrew
[post="115720"][/post]​

Thanks for reporting back Andrew - the results sound excellent so far :) The convenience factor is indeed starting to stack up. Like you say, a definite option for days where time/space is more limited - a more flexible brewday... I'll keep chilling as normal at this stage, but it is sounding a definite option. ;)

Shawn.

I transfered my Oktoberfest last night from cube and no chill (brewed Sunday) to fermenter last night. Wort is extremely clear, but as with the two previously stored in a couple of kegs, I am finding I am losing around 2L in break. So 20L cube only 18L in fermenter.

Maybe my method of whirlpooling (spoon and stir the s*#t out of it and leave to settle) is the reason compared to what Gerard_M explained yesterday with the ESB kits whirlpooling for 20min as there is no break in them. Should a longer whirlpool be considered by somehow pumping wort back through the tap and pickup tube to create the whirlpool effect?

Cheers.

Back