Users Of The "no Chiller Method"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if botulism is only killed at above 120 then what does using no-chill have to do with anything? What difference does it make if it is the inside of a jerry or the inside or beer line, if it has become infected with the bacteria Clostridium botulinum you are stuffed. I know that I sterilise the jerry prior to use better than I do my beer line as I am able to use bleach or iodine at concentrated levels and then rinse with a phosphoric acid solution.

Just finished my 1st no chill 23ltr of blond ale. Plan to pitch yeast tomorrow morning!!

We must keep it in perspective though. Coolships were used prior to the availability of pressurised mains water .

Since that time 99.9% of breweries have changed to counterflow cooling. Those that didn't have not survived

The common theme?? Cooling.

Cantillon, Lindemans, Boon and De Dolle in Belgium use coolships. U Fleku in the Czech Republic and Iblacker in Germany do too.

Allagash recently installed a new one in the US.

I think they've all survived.

That said, I'm not in any hurry to install a coolship at home.

Cantillon, Lindemans, Boon and De Dolle in Belgium use coolships. U Fleku in the Czech Republic and Iblacker in Germany do too.

It would be way cool though. :rolleyes:

My take on the No-Chill thing

Grabs wooden stick, bear skin robe, and proceeds to the top off the nearest mountain...

Be damned all ye who wish not to chill, for it is mans right to chill, and those that shalt not shall be thrust into an eternal pool off botulism, madness and lunacy.
For God did not create vast open cut copper mines for ye brewers to simply cast thy wert into plastic containers for thy purpose of cooling.
Thy good lord has written upon a malt tablet thy true procedure for thy chilling of wort and those who wish to disregard thy lords word will suffer for eternity.
For he who preaches the work of the no-chill devil shall be subject to correctment via a hot mash paddle upon his bare flesh
For if thy good lord discovers such a movement of nay-say devil preachers, he willl take it upon himself to drink warm musket in thy park.
Be warned ye devil chillers, thy lord is not such a pretty sight, drunk in a park...

:p

The guys from Allagash Brewing made a video of their coolship's christening:

It's... ummmm.... cool...

Last edited by a moderator:
have you noticed any difference in flavour with a batch of the same brew which has been chilled and unchilled? or for that matter clarity? I often leave a mash in the esky overnight and if any thing I would say that the extended mash time actually improves it if anything so at the same time why wouldn't an extended cooling time. The way I see it is as long as infection is omitted then if any thing it should help the enzymes etc. help to prep the sugars for fermentation and may even counter any lacking steps in the mashing process.

I often leave a mash in the esky overnight and if any thing I would say that the extended mash time actually improves it if anything so at the same time why wouldn't an extended cooling time.

Don't forget that the boil chemically alters the wort, so leaving to cool after the mash is a different thing to leaving it to cool after the boil.

have you noticed any difference in flavour with a batch of the same brew which has been chilled and unchilled? or for that matter clarity? I often leave a mash in the esky overnight and if any thing I would say that the extended mash time actually improves it if anything so at the same time why wouldn't an extended cooling time. The way I see it is as long as infection is omitted then if any thing it should help the enzymes etc. help to prep the sugars for fermentation and may even counter any lacking steps in the mashing process.

In my experience, NC does not affect clarity nor flavour.

cheers

Browndog

for the record, i built an IC and i have to say that although i've only used it twice (on the last two brews) that i doubt i'll go back to no-chill for a few reasons.

clarity, the chilled beer (10% rye) has near perfect clarity after 2 weeks in the keg, no-chill has taken +twice as long, (although it does clear perfectly).

cold break in the primary, i normally get a shedload in the no-chills, it's been reduced significantlly enough to chill just for this reason alone.

thirdly, it's all done & dusted on the same day unless it's a lager which is transferred and pitched the next am.

for $20 worth of annealed copper from the scrapyard, i wish i had made one from the word go :icon_cheers:

my 2bobs

cheers
Yard

[/quote

Pic of a coolship . shallow copper trays of cooling wort generally replaced by heat exchangers

Pumpy :)

coolships.jpg

new_heat_exchanger.JPG

Im not going to knock No chill, as i do use it ocasionally. Hell..... my champ beer was a no chill.

But as far as flavour and clarity is concerned, i do think they take a lot longer to clear and i find a snap chilled beer to be smoother flavoured.

The thing is, we all brew differently, our systems are all different and this will affect the final outcome.

I have seen pics of cryatal clear no chill beers on here, me personally, i havnt been able to make one.

I just made a no chill stout to pe pitched onto the next available and apropriate yeast. I like that aspect of it. Make a beer and just toss it on some yeast when you can.

cheers

Im not going to knock No chill, as i do use it ocasionally. Hell..... my champ beer was a no chill.

But as far as flavour and clarity is concerned, i do think they take a lot longer to clear and i find a snap chilled beer to be smoother flavoured.

The thing is, we all brew differently, our systems are all different and this will affect the final outcome.

I have seen pics of cryatal clear no chill beers on here, me personally, i havnt been able to make one.

I just made a no chill stout to pe pitched onto the next available and apropriate yeast. I like that aspect of it. Make a beer and just toss it on some yeast when you can.

cheers
Yep I agree 'there is more than one way of skinning a cat '

Pumpy :)

but the best way is the 30 caliber way :p

No chill lager is a bit tricky as you try to avoid as much trub as possible.
I chilled my last batch over two days and had to rack it carefully off it.
Not very confident though...
I'll be using fining on this one I'd say if Haven't already kill it (the batch) with stressed out yeast :(

Back