Users Of The "no Chiller Method"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cantillon, Lindemans, Boon and De Dolle in Belgium use coolships. U Fleku in the Czech Republic and Iblacker in Germany do too.

Allagash recently installed a new one in the US.

I think they've all survived.

[/quote

Kook,

They are all lambics though.

cheers

Darren

[/quote

Kook,

They are all lambics though.

cheers

Darren
[/quote]

One has to give it to Darren he is on the ball .

And always knows where there is a good infection ;)

keep it up

pumpy :)

Hi Guys

Ended up with 2 cubes (25L) completly full (so probably closer to 30L a peice) yesterday, so obviously over estimated my water volume (or more likley underestimated my boil off volume) which explains the 1.040 instead of the predicted 1.053 i guess (first double batch BIAB). Put what I could into my two available fermenters and the 2 coopers starters I made as well as no more fridge space.

My question is what to do with the half cube of wort.

I have flooded the half cube with CO2 in the hope that I can keep the wort until I have fermenter/yeast starter/fridge space, a few days at best.

Anyone got an opinion on how long I can keep it, or should I pitch some yeast and just ferment it at ambient temp in the morning (in the serving fridge overnight), it's not supposed to be too warm this comming week (fingers crossed). It is a coopers style ale so should stand the temp, but don't have another coopers starter ready so would have to use a london ale, probably a similar fruity character to the coopers I guess.

possitive suggestions anyone

rgds mike

Yep, I'd pitch some yeast in the cube tomorrow morning (or now?). It'll be an interesting experiment to see how differently the batches come out with different yeasts. The London ale will be different, but might actually be better. :lol:

I have drilled holes in spare caps and put a gromet and an airlock on cubes when I use them (got a smoked ale going in one now), but you could just put some cling wrap over them for now.

Yep, I'd pitch some yeast in the cube tomorrow morning (or now?). It'll be an interesting experiment to see how differently the batches come out with different yeasts. The London ale will be different, but might actually be better. :lol:

I have drilled holes in spare caps and put a gromet and an airlock on cubes when I use them (got a smoked ale going in one now), but you could just put some cling wrap over them for now.

thanks fo that, i 15L bucket & lid (ex mcdonalds piccles) converted to fermenter. I guess coopers would have originally been a london/english ale yeast anyhow.

rgds mike

I would just like to publicly withdraw my membership as a "User of the No Chill Method" yes thats true. I will agree it works great and you can make award winning beers using No Chill, and I must of done about 20 brews No Chill, but since I have gone to a 4 keg set up it takes longer to drink any one brew and I have noticed that the longevity of the beer is reduced when I no chilled. Now I just use the immersion chiller for 15mins and reduce the temp to about 40 or 50 and transfer to the fermenter and put in the fermentation fridge until the desired pitching temp is reached, normally within 6 hours.
No doubt the debate will rage on without me and I am not sad about that, but as with all things in this world of craft brewing "if it works for u DO IT! Just watch out for the BOTULISM :lol:

STEVE

I had a bit of truoble squeezing my cube this morning. I usually try and use a clamp with a couple of pieces of wood.

How does everyone else do it???

Fold up a towel a few times to put between the cube and me and squash it between my legs

Just have to be careful you dont spill any on the twins :ph34r:

kabooby :p

I had a bit of truoble squeezing my cube this morning. I usually try and use a clamp with a couple of pieces of wood.

I use the "Crozdog Method"TM. This involves:
- placing the cube slightly out from a step with the cap furthest away from the step.
- Tip the cube back so it touches the step (the cap is now the highest part of the cube).
- Place a towel or wad of rag on the side of the cube,
- put knee on cloth,
- open cap whilst gently leaning on knee to push cube in - note use your body weight ;-)
- close cap when wort starts to escape.

too easy

I got this tip from someone in here whom I cant remember - but kudos to them :)

I put my cube on an angle so the mouth is facing up, the with one side leaning against my work bench I put a towel between my knee and other side of the hot cube and push gently. In no time the level rises to the mouth and i let a little spill then seal it up for safekeeping.

I put my cube on an angle so the mouth is facing up, the with one side leaning against my work bench I put a towel between my knee and other side of the hot cube and push gently. In no time the level rises to the mouth and i let a little spill then seal it up for safekeeping.

Same here. Works well.

I am concerned by the potential for hot wort coming into contact/close proximity with the family jewels using that technique :excl: :ph34r:

I am concerned by the potential for hot wort coming into contact/close proximity with the family jewels using that technique :excl: :ph34r:

No Jewels any where near the hot stuff for me (nor any incidents).

I give mine a bear hug with my left arm to squeeze all the air out and screw the cap on with my right hand.

I use the "Crozdog Method"TM. This involves:
- placing the cube slightly out from a step with the cap furthest away from the step.
- Tip the cube back so it touches the step (the cap is now the highest part of the cube).
- Place a towel or wad of rag on the side of the cube,
- put knee on cloth,
- open cap whilst gently leaning on knee to push cube in - note use your body weight ;-)
- close cap when wort starts to escape.

too easy

I like this idea will try it next time

And if anyone was wondering i managed to get it just squeezed it and SWMABO put the lid on for me

I fill mine so they are overflowing...no need to squeeze. If I don't have enough, I use a towel and do the left arm bear hug also.

I fill mine so they are overflowing...no need to squeeze. If I don't have enough, I use a towel and do the left arm bear hug also.

I find i cant fill mine as they are 25ltrs, get them for free so i will use them

Just brew 25 liters!

too easy!

I don gloves, squeeze and have step son do up cap.

cheers

Latest posts

Back