Users Of The "no Chiller Method"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Show up on the weekend Joe, we'll induct you.

Mika "the chiller"

I have read a heap of posts but I was wondering if someone would mind taking the time to give me a run down on the best possible way to do this,
like a "no chiller method for dummies"? I have failed to find a thread that has a really good run down on what equipment I should have and how it should be done. Either that or my search strings are crap. :p

No chill brewing is just like other brewing except that you don't crash chill the wort after boiling. So, you mash, you boil, you run it into a sanitised plastic container and you let it cool in its own time. When you are ready, you pitch it into a sanitised fermenter with yeast. The only extra equipment you need is the plastic jerry or cube. If you don't have a plastic or vinyl tube to run hot wort in, then you need one of them. I also find a couple of oven mitts very handy.

As for a detailed discussion about how it is done, this is the original thread started by MAH last year http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&hl=chiller

Things to avoid is covered here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&hl=chiller

And this very thread you are reading is not a bad commentary, just a bit long. But if you are looking for someone to distill all this discussion and debate into some sort of consensus, that's a big ask. The easiest way to learn is to watch someone so maybe mika's offer is a good one. Good luck and happy no chilling.

DB

Hi all, I thought you might be interested to see a 16th Century Wort chiller (no water required)

Lacock_instructions.jpg

laycockabbe6.jpg

Not sure how clear the writing will come out but the cooler is described as a...
large lead lined vessel resting on joists to give maximum air-cooling. The liquor remained here until it dropped to below blood temperature (possibly gauges by the use of a bare elbow).

Geez they were clever buggers 400 years ago weren't they? Cheers DAAB!

i think they were referred to as coolships. large flat open vessels that are designed to lose (I noticed the UK people can't spell LOSE properly either!) heat. Big natural chillers.

Hi all, I thought you might be interested to see a 16th Century Wort chiller (no water required)

Lacock_instructions.jpg

laycockabbe6.jpg

Not sure how clear the writing will come out but the cooler is described as a...
large lead lined vessel resting on joists to give maximum air-cooling. The liquor remained here until it dropped to below blood temperature (possibly gauges by the use of a bare elbow).

Mmmm, love that lead.

Its a big thread, a very big thread, its a biiiiig threeeaaad (sang to Calton brewery tune)

So without reading it all, are there many people who like me have who have a rainwater tank and are able to chill without water wastage but choose to NC for practical reasons?

Is it worth going down this route to pitch at exact fermentation temps At present I cool down to 27C, but have to wait overnight if I want to pitch at my desired temps. I must confess to doing thi,s but my read of this (big) tread that Im not really NC- ing, and also risk of infection

The 1500s wort chiller is a beauty. Looks like it works by increasing the surface area from which heat is lost and surrounding the wort with heat-conducting lead. People probably didn't live long enough to suffer from lead poisoning back then.

The question is would it have any better cooling capacity than a jerry 160 x 320 x 460mm holding the thermal mass of 23 litres? I reckon my jerry is cutting edge 21st century wort chilling technology compared to that old beast.

The liquor remained here until it dropped to below blood temperature (possibly gauges by the use of a bare elbow). [/i]

Don't know about elbow, but the term "rule of thumb" is an old brewing term. Put the thumb in the wort, if it doesn't feel either warm or cold to the touch, it's the right temp to pitch yeast.

Don't know about elbow, but the term "rule of thumb" is an old brewing term. Put the thumb in the wort, if it doesn't feel either warm or cold to the touch, it's the right temp to pitch yeast.

I expect law was passed saying that people had to switch to using their elbows as too many people round here like to sit around with their thumbs up their arses :D

I expect law was passed saying that people had to switch to using their elbows as too many people round here like to sit around with their thumbs up their arses :D
actually the rule of thumb goes back to when it was considered civilized to beat your wife so long as you didnt use anything wider than your thumb

Lacock_instructions.jpg

laycockabbe6.jpg

Daab,

We must keep it in perspective though. Coolships were used prior to the availability of pressurised mains water .

Since that time 99.9% of breweries have changed to counterflow cooling. Those that didn't have not survived

The common theme?? Cooling.

Rapid cooling, dates back to the early 1800's when they realised you were less likely to get sick with a chilled wort but also produced a more palatable beer everytime that everyone enjoyed.

Why worry about 100 or so litres of water to chill your average batch of beer (4 hours)? A single toilet flush uses at least 7 litres of water.

cheers

Darren

Nice 8th post mate,

I hope you go on the watch list for dickheads with little to offer in the way of meaningful debate.

cheers

Darren

Daab,

We must keep it in perspective though. Coolships were used prior to the availability of pressurised mains water .

Since that time 99.9% of breweries have changed to counterflow cooling. Those that didn't have not survived

their use was continued long after the introduction of mains water and besides, there were pumps available before the introduction of mains water (obviously) so a gravity water cooling system would have been perfectly achievable but coolships worked so why would they fix what aint broke.

I'm not trying to make anyone switch to the no-chill method, just offering up information so people can make an informed choice.

Nice 8th post mate,

I hope you go on the watch list for dickheads with little to offer in the way of meaningful debate.

sorry mate, I missed the part in the t and c's that said members should refrained from making the occasional topical joke although the occasional joke is probably more meaningful than openly insulting other forum users.

Cheers

D

Here's one for Darren....

Don't know enough about it to determine if plastic jerries have this plastic in them, but what about those who bottle into PET bottles?

Fester.

******** Heres the relating link **********

Linky

This thread is titled Users of the "no Chiller Method" How about we stick to that, this is not a "lets poke Darren with sticks" thread, it's getting very old. If you want to do that then create a new thread please and leave this to the No Chillers out there who want to discuss their method.

cheers

Browndog

I agree and will start on the delete button. I don't even like this thread any more.

And Fester, that attempt was pretty lame. Even a no-chiller can see the difference in risk between putting boiling hot wort in plastic and finished beer. Darren has always said it is the risk of leeching plasticers AT TEMPERATURE that is the risk, which is pretty much common sense. Also common sense is that Food Grade HDPE uses citric acid as a plasticiser and is stable above 120C, so at worst you might get some citric acid into your wort.

Remember users and future users of no-chill, if it isn't food grade HDPE, it isn't suitable.

NC scored another competition 1st place on the weekend when I took out 1st place for a belgian Blonde :D :beer:

Crozdog

Not wanting to start another thread, or read through 70 odd pages of "no chill and chill" arguments ;) I thought I would post my question here.

I have no chilled all of my beers so far but these are my first wheat beers. After a big brew day on Sunday I have 2 cubes of Hefe and 2 cubes of dunkelweizen. I know wheat beers are best drunk when fresh so does this mean from the time they are fermented or from the time they are brewed. I dont see myself getting through 80L of beer in the next few weeks.

Kabooby :)

Latest posts

Back