Users Of The "no Chiller Method"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee I like those 20 litre Blue Willow jerry cans. The tall ones not the square 25 litre ones. But they are not marked with HDPE or a triangle 2. Although they are advertised as for water. Just that the 25 litre ones are to big to fill up to the top for a cornie keg. The 20 litre one would be perfect. Does anyone use those 20 litre jerry Willow Jerry cans? I did e-mail Willow and asked the question and they said that they are made from HDPE but it would be too late to take action once i'm dead!

Steve

I replaced the tap in the cube with the original screw in bung. I am petrified that I may knock the tap while its and the cubes threads are hot and maybe a little soft. I have no intention of being able to contribute to the "biggest brewday Disasters" thread by emptying 20l of boiling wort all over the brewery floor (and maybe my feet) B)

If I had a cube that was not drilled then I certainly wouldn't drill it if I was thinking of using it as a NC cube.

My 2c

Festa.

If you're worried about the first few litres of wort splashing everywhere ...

You can try pouring with the hole at the top instead of the bottom. It feels a bit awkward at first but once you get the hang of it there's no splashing at all. You need to tip it quickly so it doesn't dribble down the cube but if you get it down pat there's no glugging andno spills because it allows air in.

I've done 9 No Chill into cubes this year - all with a tap in place, in fact I use a sediment reducer too. I find it very convenient to run it from the cube through some tubing with a siphon spray aerator and into the fermenter. I commonly dump a new brew onto the yeast cake, so I like to minimise the trub in the fermenter.

However - I lost my first cube to an infection just recently, and I lay the blame on a leaky tap. I usually only keep No-Chilled wort for a week or two maximum before pitching, but this one was going 8 weeks old (for various reasons). Nothing like watering the garden with 20 litres of lovingly crafted Octoberfest wort to teach you a lesson!

If I was ever going to keep a NC cube for longer than a week or two, I would now just use the bung.

Now i'll be paranoid transferring hot wort to my fermenter which has the tap in place :unsure:

That's what I do too Steve, but no dramas to date.

I must admit I have been cautious about the tap since doing NC as I use a converted fermenting pail as my HLT and I have bumped that one loose before.

As for air sucking in, I don't make my fermenter 100% airtight anyway, I just have a sanitised soaked cloth on top of the airlock hole and I'd say that will handle any incoming air adjustments before the tap will.

Has anyone No Chilled into a glass carboy? Would one stand up to the heat without cracking?

i dont like it....

when teh wort cools it will shrink somewhat.. that could cause some major pressure on glass...

then again i really have no idea... :D

My NC procedure

At end of boil, whirlpool
Put lid on kettle.
Walk away for 30 mins.
Take lid off and transfer wort to a fermenter.
Cover with gladwrap.
Come back the next day.
Transfer to another fermenter.
Ferment as normal.

Only done 5 so far and no infections. I have no intention of keeping wort more than 24 hours before pitching yeast. i could go into my scientific reasonings but think they have been covered at least once :D I DO think i am losing some aroma doing this. But i dry hop in the keg if needed.

Am planning on chilling once i get my hands on either an immersion or CFWC. Any Adelaide NCers have one to sell?

EDIT - if it wasnt for NC i would still be using kits whilst trying to get a chiller. Like this BIAB caper, NC is a way of people getting into AG faster.

Gee I like those 20 litre Blue Willow jerry cans. The tall ones not the square 25 litre ones. But they are not marked with HDPE or a triangle 2. Although they are advertised as for water. Just that the 25 litre ones are to big to fill up to the top for a cornie keg. The 20 litre one would be perfect. Does anyone use those 20 litre jerry Willow Jerry cans? I did e-mail Willow and asked the question and they said that they are made from HDPE but it would be too late to take action once i'm dead!

Steve

i use these ones they actually hold just under 24 litres. There a perfect size and slim so ya can fit a few in the fridge no worrys.

cheers kingy

p.s Am i going to die from plastic problems or alcohol problems. Heck i could even fall out of a tree tomorrow. Thats life.
No chill all the way for me :D gotta die of something. Untill someone dies from NC'ing Ill keep doin it.

I've used cubes with both tap and bung with no dramas whatsoever.

I like the idea of a tap which you can use to empty the cube thus leaving the crap behind. Only drawback is that when I fill the fermenter I like to really give the wort a splash and even a shake to aerate.

p.s Am i going to die from plastic problems or alcohol problems. Heck i could even fall out of a tree tomorrow. Thats life.
No chill all the way for me gotta die of something. Untill someone dies from NC'ing Ill keep doin it.

I'm hearing ya ;) all the way!

Here is what I do, not a true NCer as I rack to the fermenter and pitch the next day, but my regime is at flame out wait till convection currents subside then add any steeping hops and whrilpool. I leave this for 10 mins or so then I chuck my unsterilised hop sock into the fermenter and filter out any trub that would otherwise find it's way into the fermenter. When it has finished draining and the sock is full of trub and wort, I hang it up so the sock is just clear and let it drain. Kind of like a reverse use for the hop sock!

cheers

Browndog

Hey Screwtop,

BTW, You are an idiot with nothing to contribute to this thread but to diss me. Perhaps you have consumed too much blue cube plastic :D

For those of you who continually miss the actual point of my comments...

Don't any of you worry about my old sparring partner Darren Dnegative. He loves to keep the mass debate alive and never waivers in his rebuttal. I just love fishing, and he bites like a wahoo. He calls me an idiot (with a smilie), I take it as intended, it's great sport, and it makes people THINK? Ain't that your intent Dazza?

Screwy

Screwtop,

If we didn't have open debate then we would never learn.

cheers

Darren

Well I posted this question on a UK brew forum. Why the hell could't we have resolved this debate with two responses. And the odd thing is ........they make sense..........(sorry Ross and any other UK brothers out there. This is what they said.

I don't think there's a lot to discuss really, I know lots of yanks can make an issue out of anything and discuss it at great length though, but to be fair we also have some very pragmatic brewers from the US here on our forum.

Not chilling a wort isn't something that would really bother me. As far as i'm concerned, with English malts the worst that can happen is the finished beer may be a little hazy and the risk of infection increases, we don't seem to have the issues with DMS that the US brewers rant on about.

On the other had, water is generally in abundance here, I have 3 chillers and have never spent any more that 25 on making one so there's no reason not to make one on the grounds of cost or water shortage. Personally I prefer to get a beer done and dusted asap so I would never not chill a wort, I don't really see the point. If I had no option though I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

I know it has been discussed at length on the brewing network forum. Dont think it has on here yet but it could be before my time!

It does seem a good idea if you cannot fit in a full brew day.
Or you do not have space in fermenter's or only enough temperature control for one fermenter.

But for most it might only knock off 20-60 minutes of a brew day.
So once you have got that far you may as well finish.

Such layed back, easy going reply's. Gee they must have it good in the UK, what do u think Ross?

Gents,

I have been talking alot with Mr PistolPatch about BIAB.
I am keen as to try my first AG BIAB, I have all the kit bar a wort chiller, so the no chiller method is my only option (or is it?)
I have read a heap of posts but I was wondering if someone would mind taking the time to give me a run down on the best possible way to do this,
like a "no chiller method for dummies"? I have failed to find a thread that has a really good run down on what equipment I should have and how it should be done. Either that or my search strings are crap. :p

This will be my first attempt at an AG so information would be greatly appreciated, ohh and thanks goes out to PistolPatch for his words of wisdom and assistance!

TIA
Joe

Latest posts

Back