Users Of The "no Chiller Method"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People use cubes so they can reduce the headspace, cubes can be squeezed in where a plastic bucket/fermenter can't be.

Less headspace = less chance of aeration if the cube gets knocked, or when its being moved.

There's a brilliant picture of one of Pumpy's no-chill fresh wort cubes with the sides squeezed in. I wouldn't really wanna be doing that without some insulated gloves/knees though, burnt skin is hard to get off plastic.

EDIT: Link to Pumpy's squeezed cube.

Moe: There's a topic called "The "No-Chill method": Potential problems?" that was started before this thread. This thread was started because skeptics/naysayers/pessimists/non-tryers just flamed when people said they no-chilled without problems, and this thread is supposed to be a logical discussion about the affects no-chilling have had on their brews, good and bad. Feel free to post and discuss potential problems there, most issues raised by you I think you will find have already been discussed in that thread.

Wow... sorry to crash your little clubhouse. I heard about this board and this was an interesting current topic. I didn't know everyone was insecure with their methods.

moegreen,

Your discussion is most welcome, just take the trouble to do a search & add your comments to the relevant thread. Going off at tangents when the thread was set up solely for people to report their findings, helps no-one....

Welcome to the forum - How about filling out some info on your whereabouts & introducing yourself...

cheers Ross

Hi All

Can I ask why you tend to use cubes to store the wort pre-pitching? I would have thought that these would be harder to clean than a old fermenter or even a 20l food grade bucket.

Cheers

Hi Jimmy

My practices are a little different to most. Firstly I don't store my wort for more than a couple of days. As such I rack from the kettle straight into a fermenter. When it has reached pitching temps, I innoculate with the yeast. I get the yeast all fired up with a litre or two of the wort which I cool in a sanitised flagon. Racking this small portion into a flagon means I can cool it quicker and get the yeast all fired up sooner. I like to do it this way for three reasons, I get too pitch a good active starter using the exact same wort as the beer I'm making, secondly it saves water and thirdly I don't have to stuff around with sanitising and afterwards cleaning a chiller, just my fermentation vessle.

These are just my preferences and reasons and are certainly not definitive of other NCer views.

Cheers
MAH

Thanks for the feedack on cubes Guys.

I have done one No-chill brew so far. I have been thinking of trying it and following this thread closely. However, was forced into a decision on the week-end as my yeast starter failed to fire and had to wait for a new one. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

My main interest in no-chill is due to the water restrictions we have in Brissie at present.

I'll probably do as you have MAH - rack into the fermenter and pitch the next day or 2.

Cheers

Jimmy

That would explain why they have none left. They told me that some crazy bloke in a beanie bought 'em. :lol:

Warren -

Could it be that there's more no-chillers in the Nthn. subs than just us? :ph34r: :lol:

I bought a 5 litre cube from them the other day. Going to reserve some wort (in the freezer) for a no-chill Hefeweizen for priming. :)

Warren -

...while were talking of "cubes", I saw a Supercheap sale catalogue today with 20L jerrycans for $12.99!!!

Headsuppppppppppp.......! :p

To the readers and posters to this thread.

Please stay on topic. This thread is for the people who use the no chill method.

Some off topic material has been deleted. I would have liked to notify personally all members who had posts deleted, but that would have taken a few hours to do.

If you wish to discuss the merits or otherwise, please use the original no chill thread, where there has already been much debate about DMS, HSA, sanitation, botulism and more. Do make sure that you read the existing material, as posts going over old ground may be deleted.

I sampled an extremely low-bittered 4 SRM NC'ed lager in early secondary yesterday. I'm afraid I've made Budweiser or something! Anyway, this delicate beer so far showed no funk. I know the feeling is that a light lager would be more likely to reveal flaws in the NC method. I'll report further, but so far so good.

Just put down an APA using the no chill method. I put it straight into the fermenter and then into the fermenting fridge. should I leave the airlock ajar to let some of the heat escape? Will this stop my fermenter from turning into a pear?

Cheers, JJ

Just put down an APA using the no chill method. I put it straight into the fermenter and then into the fermenting fridge. should I leave the airlock ajar to let some of the heat escape? Will this stop my fermenter from turning into a pear?

Cheers, JJ
Put sanitizer soaked cotton into the airlock to let filtered air into the fermenter and relieve the vacuum.

Cheers, JJ

jj, just be careful if you are using your fridge to cool the wort. there was some discussion early on in the original no-chill thread that chilling hot wort in a fridge was likely to shorten the lifespan of your fridge.

It will cool just as fast outside, between 85-100C and 30C, as it will in the fridge, especially if theres a nice breeze. Once it gets down to 30ish it would cool quicker, but I just left mine overnight and it was at pitching temp.

Thanx guys, great advice as always! Took it out of fridge and put outside.

Cheers, JJ :beerbang:

jj, just be careful if you are using your fridge to cool the wort. there was some discussion early on in the original no-chill thread that chilling hot wort in a fridge was likely to shorten the lifespan of your fridge.

Not arguing the point, as I'm not a fridgey - but how is this the case please?

Adamt - Likewise how do you work out that a fridge doesn't cool it quicker? I can assure you it does, especially in the Qld heat, also I'd rather my fermenter was in the dark :)

cheers Ross

Not arguing the point, as I'm not a fridgey - but how is this the case please?

Adamt - Likewise how do you work out that a fridge doesn't cool it quicker? I can assure you it does, especially in the Qld heat, also I'd rather my fermenter was in the dark :)

cheers Ross

At a guess, 20 odd litres of wort @ 85+ degrees will run the tits off your fridge in trying to get it to 4 or whatever it is set to. I guess compressors arent intended to run with that kind of duty cycle.

For what its worth, my 300 litre chest freezer has a warning label inside it, warning you not to place more than 10 Kg of meat in at any one time.

If in excess of 10 Kilos of beef risks a 300 litre chest freezer, then 20 litres of boiling wort would probably do the same to a fridge.

Having said that, it doesnt stop me buying a side of beef and chucking that in the freezer anyway. Hasn't killed it yet..

Festa.

At a guess, 20 odd litres of wort @ 85+ degrees will run the tits off your fridge in trying to get it to 4 or whatever it is set to.

I believe that is the technical term.

With regards to your freezer though, that also might be an issue with how long it takes to freeze that quantity of meat.

Latest posts

Back