Users Of The "no Chiller Method"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In reply to Ross's post re efficiency, Beersmith and my Refracto sez I managed 87% apparent attenuation in my Rauchbier with W2206 @ 10-12 C.

Cannot detect oxidation or DMS, which should be apparent in any lager (if present), even a smokey one. Sampled 20 ml from the vessel this evening. It has been lagering for about 11 days and tastes really clean at this stage.

Both no-chill lagers I have made were no-chilled in the fermentor for a day or so and then popped in the fridge to chill to pitching temp, and allowed to sit there until the yeast was ready. Very handy to draw off some wort and increase the pitching yeast quantity, using the actual brew that it be pitchd into.

that's all 4 now
Seth out :p

Perfect timing for a follow up to Weiz's reply with one of my own. :)

Racked my no-chill Pilsner to the kegs for lagering last Friday. Early tastings show no DMS or other problems (read diacetyl) at all. In fact it's damn tasty indeed. I was afforded the luxury of being able to pitch the yeast at 8 degrees :beerbang:

Second no-chill is sitting in the fridge in it's respective cubes. Basically it's a 47 litre batch of Hefeweizen with 5 litres of speise reserved for kegging.

No hops clogging the tap this time. Being a low hopped candidate like a Hefe I set up my own form of mock hop sock using my cheesecloth dry-hopping bag. Worked a treat. :beer:

Warren -

DSC01440.JPG

Perfect timing for a follow up to Weiz's reply with one of my own. :)

Racked my no-chill Pilsner to the kegs for lagering last Friday. Early tastings show no DMS or other problems (read diacetyl) at all. In fact it's damn tasty indeed. I was afforded the luxury of being able to pitch the yeast at 8 degrees :beerbang:

Second no-chill is sitting in the fridge in it's respective cubes. Basically it's a 47 litre batch of Hefeweizen with 5 litres of speise reserved for kegging.

No hops clogging the tap this time. Being a low hopped candidate like a Hefe I set up my own form of mock hop sock using my cheesecloth dry-hopping bag. Worked a treat. :beer:

Warren -

Hey Warren

I've been using a hop bag for my bittering/boil stage for a while now and found it to be very effective in keeping the hop trub in check. I recently did a no chill APA with an IBU of 55(lotsa pellets) so the hop bag technique again worked well.

I also just tapped my no chill Pilsner the other day and it's turned out great.

Just googled BMW Plastics......have a look.

http://www.bmwplastics.com.au/liquidstorage.html

I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if anybody has the 25 litre cubes in Sydney.

Regards,
Lindsay.

Try these guys: http://www.cospak.com.au/products.asp?GroupID=28 There is a $100 minimum order but they should be quite cheap, at least they are for glass bottles. 25QA is probably the most appropriate container, or 20J for a 20L one.

Ray's outdoors at Camperdown sells 22L natural colour jerrys for $16.99 when i was there the other day, that's their normal price. Look like the 20J's from the link above.

Rang the folks at Cospak...yep $100 minimum order, however, the 25 litre cubes are only $7.50 but I don't need 13 of them.
Anybody intetested in some at $7.50.

Regards,
Lindsay.

All of this editing and quoting stuff is a bit much for me. But I guess you can work out what is going on.

Regards,
Lindsay.

I just tapped my latest NC beer. It is a 4 SRM, 12 IBU American Premium lager. One measly ounce of Northern Brewer for 60 minutes and that's it. This is supposed to be the type of beer that would show a flaw in the NC method? Ain't no canned corn here. For what it is, it's a good beer. Easy drinking lawn mower beer.

I'm taking some to the homebrew club meeting Tue. I'll get some more input.

Fella's, thought I'd report back to say that my 2nd no chill attempt (Chinook, Cascade APA) was a complete success. :)

I think I will be getting me some more cubes then... :D

Ok, I havent done too much reading on the no-chill subject, as until now the kitchen sink and ice blocks were good enough to cool down my mini batches.

But, with my first full batch well within sight Ive been considering this as an option.

I was under the impression that people would rack to a cube and then stick it straight in the fridge, but it seems that some of you might not be refrigerating the cube at all.

So is that right? Its safe to let it cool in the cube just sitting around at room temperature? :huh:

PZ.

Either way should be fine, FB. Fine to let it cool down by itself, saving you a few cents in fridge costs and the environment too. :rolleyes:

Ok, I havent done too much reading on the no-chill subject, as until now the kitchen sink and ice blocks were good enough to cool down my mini batches.

But, with my first full batch well within sight Ive been considering this as an option.

I was under the impression that people would rack to a cube and then stick it straight in the fridge, but it seems that some of you might not be refrigerating the cube at all.

So is that right? Its safe to let it cool in the cube just sitting around at room temperature? :huh:

PZ.

You can do either but my last batch I just left cubed in the garage for about 2 weeks and then poured the cooled wort into my fermenters, pitched the yeast and let nature take it's course.

I don't stick it in the fridge unless it's still above pitching temp the next day. I find it cools a little faster out of the fridge (at least on cooler nights) and I don't like putting that much hot mass in the fridge.

Yeah Kai - dont go putting your "Hot Mass in the fridge" you know what happen last time...

were any big winners of SABSOSA or ANAWBS from the no-chill method?

all of mine were from rapid chilling, and with this i am sure to stick. Im actually building and designing a faster and colder chiller right now.

I don't know about big winners but all my anawbs places were chilled using this method. Then again I was hoping to win the paddle just to get that plate chiller :rolleyes:

Yeah Kai - dont go putting your "Hot Mass in the fridge" you know what happen last time...

The poor fridge was never the same :unsure:

I don't know about big winners but all my anawbs places were chilled using this method.

Don't be so modest Kai. 5 beers entered and the lowest you placed was 5th (1st, 3rd, 3rd, 4th & 5th). Your Mash Paddle entry came it 3rd and scored 42.75, 1 point off the eventual winner of 43.75. I think your results showed a very consistent level.

Any brewer should be proud of such results. Top darts!

Cheers
MAH

Thanks MAH, I was happy with the result though Pedro has kindly pointed out to me in chat that I should have gone for a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

You just don't like to be second best, Kai. Third best on the other hand,.... :lol:

Back on topic
FB, you can rack straight to your fementer, let it chill overnight, chuck it in the fridge then next day to get it to pitching temp then away you go. I have done 12 or so brews like this with no probs what so ever.

cheers

Browndog

Back on topic
FB, you can rack straight to your fementer, let it chill overnight, chuck it in the fridge then next day to get it to pitching temp then away you go. I have done 12 or so brews like this with no probs what so ever.

cheers

Browndog

I've not got a fermenting fridge (got a foam lined box and frozen bottles of salt water, so that's good enough).

So with all this talk of filling headspace, inverting to kill off the nasties with wort heat, adding Co2 etc...you aren't doing any of these, but it's still turning out fine?

Sounds like you are pushing the envelope a bit there, but if no probs after 12 brews this way I may as well try and prove you wrong...that is do it your way and hope for the best :beer:

PZ.

Latest posts

Back