Users Of The "no Chiller Method"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At a guess, 20 odd litres of wort @ 85+ degrees will run the tits off your fridge in trying to get it to 4 or whatever it is set to. I guess compressors arent intended to run with that kind of duty cycle.

Yes, but the ambient air will still drop despite the hot fermenter, so the fridge will still cycle on & off, if only a bit more frequently. I guess in theory that's shortening the compressor life, but I'd be amazed if it's doing any real damage...

cheers Ross

I'm with Ross. I've seen a few fridges that have dodgy seals around the door, which means they are on pretty well constantly on, and yet last for years.

I finally got to tap and taste my first "no chill" Pilsner last night and I'd have to report that it's turned out great. :D

I also just pitched a starter into an APA today that I brewed and cubed 2 weeks ago. Will come back with my verdict when this is ready.

My first no-chill was a disaster. I'm gonna have to throw the lot out. Jan, I'm not a happy chappy.

Tasted fine all the way through until the tube fell off whilst transferring to my cube to CC, heard this big "Bllllloooooooooooooooop" from the cube and went "Ohhh fark". Now it tastes like off yeast/cardboard and she's oxidised alright. I'm about to chuck it :(

Ahh well, guess I will be brewing again soon! I'm gonna 2-man all my rackings from now on hehe.

My first no-chill was a disaster. I'm gonna have to throw the lot out. Jan, I'm not a happy chappy.

Tasted fine all the way through until the tube fell off whilst transferring to my cube to CC, heard this big "Bllllloooooooooooooooop" from the cube and went "Ohhh fark". Now it tastes like off yeast/cardboard and she's oxidised alright. I'm about to chuck it :(

Ahh well, guess I will be brewing again soon! I'm gonna 2-man all my rackings from now on hehe.

jeez not good mate, sorry to hear. :unsure:

I've taken the time to read a fair bit about this post and am keen to give it a go, however, I can't find anywhere here where you guys buy your 25 litre cubes.
Can anyone help?

I've taken the time to read a fair bit about this post and am keen to give it a go, however, I can't find anywhere here where you guys buy your 25 litre cubes.
Can anyone help?

Supercheap Auto, Bunnings, Big W. They are normally sold as water carrying cubes.

Goatherder,

Thanks for that. Actually I'm off to Bunnings withing the hour to get some plants for the better half.

Regards,
Lindsay.

Can anyone help?

Supercheap Auto, Bunnings, Big W. They are normally sold as water carrying cubes.

There bloody expensive considering what they are, does anyone have a cheaper supply.

Ta

Tim

Bunnings only had the 15 litre cubes and 20 litre gerry cans. Made by BMW Plastics in Victoria.

I need two twenty five litre containers before I can try the no chill method!

Regards,
Lindsay.

Just googled BMW Plastics......have a look.

http://www.bmwplastics.com.au/liquidstorage.html

I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if anybody has the 25 litre cubes in Sydney.

Regards,
Lindsay.

Try these guys: http://www.cospak.com.au/products.asp?GroupID=28 There is a $100 minimum order but they should be quite cheap, at least they are for glass bottles. 25QA is probably the most appropriate container, or 20J for a 20L one.

Ray's outdoors at Camperdown sells 22L natural colour jerrys for $16.99 when i was there the other day, that's their normal price. Look like the 20J's from the link above.

Yes, the jerrys that are designed to carry water are. There are also fuel jerry cans, not sure whether they are a different plastic that is less/non reactive to fuels, or just because they're cheaper, non-food grade, opaque plastic.

I wonder if these cubes are food grade.

Should be - the ones i got that are BMW plastics ones look like HDPE which is fine, i sent them an email asking about whether they were HDPE or PVC and didn't get a response - both are fine however HDPE is superior as PVC contains chloride compounds and pthalates that may leech out slowly. HDPE is the recycling 2 logo. The fuel jerrys are probably ABS as that is petrol resistant.

I get 20 lts from the back of the pub....Jim Beam...Bundy.....Etc...
FRREEEEEEE
Local soap shop sells the detergent ones..about 3 bucks..
I have about 10 detergent type ones...any one around Nowra need them...
I asked the original supplier if they were OK. they said ..yes..
PJ

Can someone please simplify the no chill method for me!
I'm currently looking for 'HB for dummies' as i have no idea and can't be bothered reading 400 and something post on this subject.

Thanks to the person who takes the time to educate me on this subject!

:D

Well, after following this topic for a few weeks now, I decided I'd give it a go. DId an AG Pils and I have left it in the kettle (with the lid on! :D ) since yesterday at about 7pm. Its now 6.30 - I gotta clean the fermenter out and then I am ready to go .. will let u all know how it turns out. Oh yeah - being paranoid when I looked at my s/s pot lid it looked like there were gaps in places - so I pit al foil around the edges of the lid and screwed it up real tight to create another barrier for nasties - hehe - hopefully nothing bad got in there! I guess Ill find out in a couple of weeks or so.

Cheers
:chug:

Can someone please simplify the no chill method for me!
I'm currently looking for 'HB for dummies' as i have no idea and can't be bothered reading 400 and something post on this subject.

Thanks to the person who takes the time to educate me on this subject!

:D

Have a look at How to Brew for a good intro to, wait for it, how to brew. Try out some extract brews if you haven't already. Then perhaps partial mashes and then to all grain. If you do an all grain (AG) beer, at the end, just skip the cooling stage and rack straight into a cube making sure you squeeze the cube to get any air out. Finished. Come back tomorrow/next week/... , rack into a fermenter, pitch yeast. Easy. :D

Latest posts

Back