Urn refit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlie_b

Reaction score
Hi all, I haven't been on here in ages but have just hit a big snag in my brewing so hoping someone can help me out!

I lent my urn to a mate a while back and he boiled it dry (burn marks still visible in the photo). A couple of brews later and the urn was shorting the house circuit box. So I went and bought a submersible element and drilled it into the side of the urn yesterday, problem is it doesn't seal... I'm considering buying some food grade sealant to try and seal it up but am not convinced it'll work. Other options might be getting a big fat silicone washer and trying to shape it to the urn. Third option is to throw it all in and buy a guten... Not sure where the line of good money after bad is so I'm hoping the internet will help me work that out 😅

Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_20200423_112955.jpg
    IMG_20200423_112955.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20200423_113021.jpg
    IMG_20200423_113021.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20200423_113026.jpg
    IMG_20200423_113026.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 30
Hi Charlie. It can be sealed, depends on how handy you are. First step would be to get a localised flat area around the penetration and remove any burrs or scratches. Can you tighten the element with heavy steel washers to flatten the sealing area. The success of this will be dependent on wall thickness and proximity to the rigid base. Do not use the supplied washers as they will compress. If you can get a good flat sealing area, I would then assemble it using compressed fibre washers and high temp silicon. Most silicon sealents are food grade, goggle around for an engineering grade!

so if I understand you correctly, I'd need to source a couple of washers with an external diameter of about 40mm (diameter of the fitting is 32mm), clamp them together to get a flat surface. Then using engineering grade silicone and compressed fibre washers seal the puppy up.

A quick google and it's looking pretty tricky to get washers of this size without purchasing about 100 but I've sent some feelers out. Any advice on where to get a couple of compressed fibre washers with an ID of 32mm?

Yes that is correct you need a couple of steel washers with a id of at least 32mm to do the flattening. Compressed fibre washers are hard to get hold off, they are mainly used in electrical applications as insulation. Electrical wholesalers/suppliers may be a source of heavy fibre washers. Stainless steel washers will work, or maybe nylon as well. It may be case of using what ever is available and can tolerate the high temperature.

cheers MM, I'll see how it goes. If this fails it's Guten time!

Think the silicon washer should be on the outside of the urn. If it's on the inside liquid can still leak via the the thread.

Latest posts

Back