Urn As Boil Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're using an urn as a kettle, do you need to replace the tap with a ball valve? I have a Birko as an HLT and the tap doesn't look like it would accept a pick-up on the inside or a hose/chiller on the outside.

Also, could someone please post a photo of the boil they get from a 2400W kettle with a 20-ish litre batch? I'd like to compare it to the boil I get from my three-ring burner.

And one more question.....If you BIAB in an urn, can you just dial in your mash temperature and leave it, or is there too much play in the thermostat?

And one more question.....If you BIAB in an urn, can you just dial in your mash temperature and leave it, or is there too much play in the thermostat?
Too much play in the thermostat IMHO. It's a very basic capilliary thermostat connected to the element, which tends to take a while to reach temp, and is usually a few degrees out once it stabilises.

I moded my Birko 40Ltr with a PID, and it is a big improvement, though this requires a bit of electrical moding, which is not for everyone.

If you're using an urn as a kettle, do you need to replace the tap with a ball valve? I have a Birko as an HLT and the tap doesn't look like it would accept a pick-up on the inside or a hose/chiller on the outside.
Mine has a 1/2" BSP thread on the inside that I hace attached a beerbelly hopscreen and pickup tube to. There isn't a lot of thread, but there is enough to hold it on well enough.

I use a length of 19mm hose that fits over the urn tap. I use that to run water out when it is a HLT and to run off into a cube for no chilling.

Im using it as a boil kettle, not BIAB

I already have a mash tun with a falsie on the way. Eventually i will be getting something bigger, but this is just to get started. It can always be used as a HLT anyway.

Fairly cheap from what i understand so im happy with the purchase.

oh, cool then. I was thrown by the all in one thing. If its just a BK it'll be perfect. Nice buy.

OT/ - Malty Cultural... I personally wouldn't be happy having an urn try to maintain mash temps for a BIAB. Not because the urn couldn't do it accurately enough, but simply because I don't think you are going to get a great result from having a heat source in the mash tun, if it isn't constantly stirred. For mine, you would have the thermostat turned completely off during the mash period and only turn it on during those phases where you are actively trying to add heat and are able to stir. end OT/

Latest posts

Back