Urgently Need Hop Calculator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
hiya.....I normally use the grain n grape calculator but their site isnt loading. Please can you let me know how many grams I need to add at 60 mins and 15 mins of Styrian goldings at 3%AA to a total IBU of 25.

Its coming to the boil in about 15 mins.

Cheers
Steve

Knowing nothing about the wort they are being boiled I punched the numbers in Beersmith....

On a blank recipe 35grams of 3%AA hops at 60 and 15 mins gives an IBU 24.6

Knowing nothing about the wort they are being boiled I punched the numbers in Beersmith....

On a blank recipe 35grams of 3%AA hops at 60 and 15 mins gives an IBU 24.6

thanks pollux, 47 litres of wort. Is that 35gms @ 60 AND 35gms at 15?

47 litre batch size??

Ooops I hadn't set up for that.....

According to Beersmith, for a 47L batch size to reach 25IBU you will need both additions to be 75grams...Assuming you want them to be the same size....

There's a free brewing prog called "Beer Engine" from the UK - it's still a work in progress but good for simple infusion mash type recipes

Free download

seriously fucked up! not happy.....ended up finding this hop weight calculator after 15 mins into the boil.

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/hop_calculations.htm

Mistakenly typed in 75% in the estimated utlization box thinking this meant efficieny.

IBUS required: 25
AA%: 3%
Estimated utlisation: 75%
Boil volume: 47 litres

= 25gms hops at 60 mins

The Estimated utilisation after reading the text above should have been 25%

= 157gms hops at 60ms

I put 52 gms in at 60

Thanks Pollux - shouldve listened to you. Bribie im on a mac at home so that software wouldnt work. Any way I can save this twat? Its currently outside no chilling in the fermenters. Feel like pouring down the drain.

tried that one too. click on calculate and I got a web page come up that said Internal Server Error

Hop_Calc_URL.JPG

Bullshit :lol: :lol:

**** you on about screwy? it didnt work alright/

what if I chuck into the fermenters a shit load of my highest AA% hops. Its probably still 70-80 degrees? Ive buckleys chance of saving it havent I? Anyone want any wort for yeast starters in Canberra?

what if I chuck into the fermenters a shit load of my highest AA% hops. Its probably still 70-80 degrees? Ive buckleys chance of saving it havent I? Anyone want any wort for yeast starters in Canberra?

:lol: It'll make beer Steve :lol:

Do what the partial men do and boil up some hops in about 4 L of the wort, strain and recombine with the 'master wort'. Should get you into the ballpark.

Yeah, Bribie is right. I'd go a larger volume for a 47lt batch though. In fact, I'd go higher for a 23lt batch - but that might just be me.

If the hop profile is fairly simple, could you pull out some wort while it's still hot, bring it to the boil and add some more hops? Would mean another boil and might be inaccurate but there's a chance it might work for you.

You could even rack the whole lot back and do a 30 min boil with some more hops then no chill again. Hopefully there's no downside to this method that I've missed.

Latest posts

Back