Belgian style pale ale ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peekaboo_jones

Reaction score
Hi brewers,
I'm going to attempt a Belgian style pale ale (my 4th AG batch).

Would love to hear your comments :)

Belgian Pale Ale
23L batch, with Robobrew v1 non pump.
Goal is a 4.5-5% bottled beer, with about 25-30 IBU.
(Might go into my only keg if it's empty by then!)

60% JW Export Pilsner
34% BB Vienna
3% Wey Caraaroma
3% Wey Acidulated

15 IBU Magnum 60 min boil
10 IBU Santiam 10 min boil
5 IBU Santiam 15 min steep

Mangrove Jacks M41 dry yeast pitched at 18 then let free rise to max 25c.

No water adjustments yet, just plain Yarra Valley tap water from Mitcham VIC
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Process
Single infuision ~67c for 1 hour or so
Lift malt pipe > adjust wort temp to 75c > re-submerge malt pipe and mash out for 10 mins > remove malt pipe & grains.
75 min boil.
yeast nutrient & whirfloc @ 15 mins left.

Immersison chill with pre-cooled water via a 25L cube, gravity fed.
Wort then transfered into fermenter.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy to take changes on board for malt & hops, even if they aren't traditional.

Hops I have (Hallertau Mitt, Cascade, Chinook, Sorachi Ace, NS, Centennial, Styrian Goldings)
Other malts are (BB Wheat, Castle Pale ale)
Yeast i'm keeping the same, using my stock of belgian dry yeasts then next year moving onto liquids.

Cheers!

I know nothing about Santiam but Styrian Goldings are a great hop for most Belgian types. Hallertau mitt also works.

For grist, I like to keep my pales similar to a tripel, just with a lower gravity. Quality pilsner (preference for Dingemans, which is Belgian after all ), possibly light touch of pale German crystal like caramunich (I don't know cararoma - it will likely be fine). Since you have some Belgian ale malt (Castle), I'd maybe look at dropping the Vienna and going 50/50 pils/castle.

I reckon 30 IBU is good, try and get good attenuation. Ferment schedule looks good.

I like step mashing and decocting with these - I get malt complexity from simple grist and it smells great. I also control the body and head better (stepping through from 55-62-69-72)

What is the purpose behind a pilsner malt in a belgian ale - what is the difference between a regular old ale male?

A slightly different flavour profile. I find that the cleaner profile of the pilsner malt gives a combination of intensity and delicacy which is, to me, one of the reasons for doing this type of beer in the first place. For a higher strength Belgian (about 9% ABV) I now use 90% pilsner malt and 10% flaked wheat.

On the other hand I can see that others would like the extra richness the ale malt would give.

Last edited:
Sounds good Manticle & Lyrebird_Cycles
Might make this a simple one for now, 50/50 JW pils/Castle Pale.
For half the IBUs I'll use Magnum still and the remainder IBUs with Styrian Goldings.

How would I step mash at those temps with a non pump RoboBrew?
I'm not that confident raising the temp settings reliably in this rig, scared of over shooting...

Belgian pale ale is one of my favorite beers and I have one tap that generally rotates between BPA and saison.

I've not brewed with Santiam hops but from the sound of the description (https://ychhops.com/varieties/santiam: Aroma: Specific aroma descriptors include black pepper, floral and spice) it sounds like it might go nicely in a BPA. You can't go wrong with styrian goldings though...! :)

Personally, I like a bit of aromatic malt from Castle in these sorts of beers. I'd be inclined to suggest that you consider leaving some vienna in the mix; as this will give you some of that similar "maltiness".

When I brew a BPA, I do a single infusion at 65C (can't step mash on my 100L system but used to do so in my urn). If you are going to attempt a step mash on a robobrew, get yourself an accurate thermometer so you get a solid reading on temp (I use a thermopen) and stir between steps. Also be advised that [in my experience at least] the element will continue to heat your wort after you turn it off so maybe cut it a degree or so before your target temp for each step. The only step mashes I do these days are turbid mashes... and they are a whole other 8 hour nightmare!

Good luck and report back!

I don't know how robo operates so I can't answer.

Keep it simple for this one - go single infusion around 65/66 I reckon.

Like I said recently in another thread - there's no dog's balls in the recipe so have a go. If you look after it it will taste good and on point.

Why lift the pipe when mashing out?
I have the v2 Robobrew and just raise temp to mash out. No problems with any scorching or anything. It basically has 2 false bottoms in it.

Why lift the pipe when mashing out?
I have the v2 Robobrew and just raise temp to mash out. No problems with any scorching or anything. It basically has 2 false bottoms in it.
To ensure the mash liquor is at a temperature.
On my first batch I mashed out at 75C, after the temp was reached and elements switched off, the temp display climbed to 86C. It had a weird bitter astringency, and was undrinkable.
Next batch I didn't mash out and was fine.
Batch 3 I removed malt pipe, set to mash out temp, put the pipe back in, mashed out and this batch also was fine.
May or may not be the issue but the concept I think will be safe to apply to a stepped mash

Back