Upsizing recipies from 23L to a 60L fermenter...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGibbon

Reaction score
Hey Guys, how easy is it to up-size recipes to effectively brew a double batch of beer?

Do you simply double the ingredients, or is there as I suspect a little bit more to it.

Thanks in advance.

60L is 2.61 times more than 23. Just up all your ingredients by 2.61.

I may be mistaken, but I have been led to believe that double batches do suffer a little on the efficiency front. Might be worth looking at and potentially adding a little more base malt to cover any lost gravity points.

JD

It would be good if it was as easy as dividing the old recipe by 23 to get to a unit of 1 and then multiplying it by 60, but with water losses etc I find its easier to use a program like BrewMate which automatically increase the amounts of grain , hops , strike water, etc as you increase the batch size from 23 to 60L.

(ed. Posted at the same time as JD, my post wasn't in response to his and wasn't going against what he said, that is a good simple way, but what I was trying to say with out complicating things to much programs like BrewMate make things simple and fairly accurate.)

I simply double/triple ingredients and it all works fine. Be prepared to be swearing at the bloody heavy fermenter every time you go move/check it etc.

JDW81 said:
I may be mistaken, but I have been led to believe that double batches do suffer a little on the efficiency front. Might be worth looking at and potentially adding a little more base malt to cover any lost gravity points.
Double batches via BIAB = suffer efficiency.
Double batches via 3v are generally the sameish. As long as you allow the same grist/water ratio etc etc. (Not really possible using a keggle for instance)

If you mean 2*23L into a 60L fermenter this is what it looks like:

double batch in FV.jpg

If you have a big enough Mash tun and boiler, then just double the ingredients.

Using BIAB in an urn I do mine as two separate 23L batches to achieve the best quality and efficiency. One useful trick is to do a batch one day, start it off in the FV then then next day do a batch and tip it into the already fermenting beer. "Drauflassen". This has the advantage of further aerating the wort after the first 24 hours for further yeast growth and is a lot more laid back than doing two batches in one day.

Latest posts

Back