Unsure, Help Please.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justa6

Reaction score
HI guys. This is about my 8th brew and usually they bubble for 4 days and gravity is stable by 6-7days.

The last one only bubbled for 2 days and ended up so fizzy you can barely drink it, now this one is doing the same. It bubbled for 2 days and stopped. Gravity was 1011 two days ago and the same now.

It's a mangrove jacks kit with .4 kg dextrouse and .1 kg light malt. Usually I use straight half kg of dextrouse, my wife just band home with this one.

Some help would be much appreciated.

Marty

The rate of dispersed c02 (the bubbling) is not a good nor an accurate indicator of anything. The best way for you to know is to rely on your hydrometer readings.

What was your starting gravity ?

The rate of dispersed c02 (the bubbling) is not a good nor an accurate indicator of anything. The best way for you to know is to rely on your hydrometer readings.

What was your starting gravity ?

Are you even reading the posts you are replying to Nanna? Its sitting at 1011 2 days ago so does that make it three days?

Marty, There are plenty more questions when you compare 2 brews. Did the klast one sit at term grav for a few days like this one? And what did you do to carb the brew. was it bottled or kegged etc.
More info gives better responses.

Cheers

You know I didn't actually check it. They are usually about 1030, and looking back through my "brew records" ha ha, they usually finish about 1008.

Just seems funny how they have all been so similar then these last 2 are different.

edit.. yeah your right bradsbrew, i guess there is to many difference in brews to compare them.. i guess i'll just leave a bit longer and sorta hope it's ok..

all and all, i probably got a bit cocky with how easy my first few went and have been a little relaxed with these one's.

you need 3+ days of the same gravity reading. Also I know its not what you are asking but what temp are you fermenting at??? as 2 days and its reached FG (final gravity) seems like its been fermented to hot. Mine are lucky to start fermenting in that time usually they are done in about 7-10 days.

As said priming adds the fizziness (carbonation) but if its not fully fermented then that will make it more so as the yeast have not eaten all the sugars in the fermenter so when bottled they will eat them plus the extra you added to carbonate

Are you even reading the posts you are replying to Nanna? Its sitting at 1011 2 days ago so does that make it three days?

my response was perfectly valid to the OP. go **** yourself.

mmrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooowwwwwwww

i'm bottling DU99, in stubbies. with 1 sugar drop.

kelby it was at 22-23 degrees. i've since put it on the water heater ha ha, sitting on 26 now.

i'm bottling DU99, in stubbies. with 1 sugar drop.

kelby it was at 22-23 degrees. i've since put it on the water heater ha ha, sitting on 26 now.

I'm new to this site and brewing but know a bit about yeast and science. I wouldn't be doing that if I was you. Not yet anyway.

my response was perfectly valid to the OP. go **** yourself.

To you it may of. Turn the clock back to when you were at this stage of brewing ( maybe yesterday) and have a good look to see if your reply ,the way it was worded, would of helped?

Hmmmm

I'm new to this site and brewing but know a bit about yeast and science. I wouldn't be doing that if I was you. Not yet anyway.

rowy i'm only new too. i've done over 400 stubbies and only had 2 break. i didn't think i was doing to bad. edit or did you mean putting it on the water heater

ok 22-23 deg is to hot now 26 is way to hot will taste like straight up arse :p. Try to ferment at 18-20 deg 22 deg max if you can help it.

When I started brewing I read this forum and seen that said but when I bought my kits asked the LHBS if it was ok to brew in this weather (36deg) without cooling. She said "Yep sure is it will just ferment faster!"

OK great put a brew on and bottled and another waiting for that one to carb up. I must say first try of the first batch I was like wow I done something wrong. I stomaced it and mixed it with VB lol slightly made it better (yes VB made it better!)

Second one was the same. So read some more didnt brew for 3 months. I got a fridge for free and then a temp controller for $25 and never looked back. I got another fridge for $30 that fits 2 fermenters in and another temp controller for $25.

I can now brew 3 beers at a time at any temp I like for under $100. Oh and I hung a heat pad in one fridge so I can ferment ales in winter and lagers in summer :p

Oh and dont rush. Its better to leave the brew after fermentation has finished. The yeast are still working even when FG is reached they will clean up after them selfs then they will go to sleep and settle onto the bottom of the fermenter. So you get better tasting beer and less yeast (crud) in the bottom of the bottles.

Same goes for tasting they will taste alot better after 2 months then 2 weeks but when you drink them is up to you. Try to keep a few bottles to try one at 2 months, 3 months, 4 months and so on. You will find out when that sort of brew tastes the best and when it has reached its best

rowy i'm only new too. i've done over 400 stubbies and only had 2 break. i didn't think i was doing to bad. edit or did you mean putting it on the water heater

The water heater mate. Don't heat it up. Get that thing away from that heater.

ha ha rowy will do.

yeah kelby. i leave them at least 1 month.

you know, my first brews honestly tasted that good, that one of my mates said " you reckon you've just fluked these one's". starting to think he was right. not that any of them have tasted that bad, like mix with vb bad ha ha.

I wouldnt say fluked it. Get the kit instructions out of the lid. Then throw them straight in the bin without looking at them, Now you will brew better beer :D

But if you do as they say then you will make average beer.

1. the yeast they give is 6-7g? to brew a beer of 23lts you need 11-12g Although you are brewing a mid strength by the looks??? so you could get away with it.
2. the yeast is stored on a shelf at shop temps. The best way to store yeast for longer life and better health is to store it at 4deg
3. its best to rehydrate the yeast
4. its best to oxigenate the wort.
5. its best to ferment at 18-20deg it takes a little longer but will be a cleaner crisper beer.
6. leave on the yeast about 5 days after FG reached.
7. Try to chill the fermenter after this point and it will drop the yeast out faster or add finnings. Chill to as close to 0 as you can. But you will need a fridge and it isnt something to worry about now but it will help later on.

Now they are just yeast related if you look after the yeast, the yeast will look after your beer

I wouldnt say fluked it. Get the kit instructions out of the lid. Then throw them straight in the bin without looking at them, Now you will brew better beer :D

But if you do as they say then you will make average beer.

1. the yeast they give is 6-7g? to brew a beer of 23lts you need 11-12g Although you are brewing a mid strength by the looks??? so you could get away with it.
2. the yeast is stored on a shelf at shop temps. The best way to store yeast for longer life and better health is to store it at 4deg
3. its best to rehydrate the yeast
4. its best to oxigenate the wort.
5. its best to ferment at 18-20deg it takes a little longer but will be a cleaner crisper beer.
6. leave on the yeast about 5 days after FG reached.
7. Try to chill the fermenter after this point and it will drop the yeast out faster or add finnings. Chill to as close to 0 as you can. But you will need a fridge and it isnt something to worry about now but it will help later on.

Now they are just yeast related if you look after the yeast, the yeast will look after your beer

Kelby can you run me through oxygenating the wort. How do you do it and what is the theory behind it. I do the rest and make IMO a reasonable beer but always keen to make a better one!

ok there are a few way to do it.

you can just pour/squirt the water in so it introduces oxigen

or stir vigourisly

or you can buy a pump and air stone.

you just want to indroduce air into the wort the air helps the yeast multiply. Once the yeast is added try no to add any more oxigen so once yeast is added (well once it begins to ferment) try not the splash the wort.

some great info there kelby. yes i do brew a mid strenght beer.

Latest posts

Back