U-Bend-It Heating Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Siicon o-rings from oringsandmore.com or you can cut washers from a silicon pie tray or similar.

I have an element on order from romar at the moment, I found Robert there very helpful. I plan to use a silicon baking tray for washers.

Picked up a silicone baking tray from target for about six bucks! Now just to use some was punches to knock out some washers and hey presto!

LiquidCurrency said:
Picked up a silicone baking tray from target for about six bucks! Now just to use some was punches to knock out some washers and hey presto!
How thick are those baking trays? Are they around 2-3mm?

I was thinking of grabbing one or two so I could make some silicone washers for something else (and maybe for some home-made swing-top seals if I ever get bored enough)...

Measures 1mm. 425mm x 325mm silicone, food safe, and only six bucks at target. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1415845136.070638.jpg

HI all - Im in the process (a very long one so far) of building my own braumiser , i've just ordered my bendy element and the controller kit lael is putting together - apart from the controller obviously, the element is the only missing piece of the puzzle!

in anticipation i want to get all the parts required to install/wire up as soon as they arrive (obviously ill be getting a sparky to do all the bitey bits) - can someone post photo's of the way they have installed/wired their elements so i have an idea of what parts i need to purchase before i get the sparky in? Or even better a parts list?

Ive tried searching for photos of everyones builds however there arent a great deal of photos of the underside of the units.

TIA :)

Ok so Lael's kit comes with a power out plug, you need cable to go from this to the element(3 core rated to the amperage required). As mentioned directly above silcone washer to seal where the element goes through the pot. (I used grolsch bottle seals, still working well.) The element has screw points to attach wiring (live and Neutral) these will need insulating with heat shrink, two layers at least. The earth should be attached in such a way as it bonds the pot and any other metal attachments (eg stand). I'd post a pic of mine but I have two elements and I think the extra cabling may just confuse the issue.

If in any doubt have your sparky do the work! If you do it yourself have a sparky check it before firing it up, electricity and liquids are dangerous so leak test with out power.

MB

Cheers mate!
I was concerned i'd have to install a terminal box and everything and I was struggling for room as it is!

My sparkie mate will have all that stuff I reckon so its nearly job done and I can finally start making some beer :)

Cheers!

I'm in the process of getting an element made by Romar.

But with their "Custom Double Ring" elements - how does one seal it in the pot - you have two holes right?
Also, what sort of outside enclosure is used to cover the wiring head?

ta,
-kt

Mr Wibble said:
I'm in the process of getting an element made by Romar.

But with their "Custom Double Ring" elements - how does one seal it in the pot - you have two holes right?
Also, what sort of outside enclosure is used to cover the wiring head?

ta,
-kt
I used cast aluminium enclosures from Jaycar, they were around the $10 mark. This was for a single hole water heater element... see links in my sig for more dets.

If the holes are above/below each other, and not around the curvature if the pot, you could get away with the one enclosure, otherwise you may need two with some conduit running between for the wires.

Just be sure your pot and eclosure (if metal) are earthed.

I ordered some custom elements from a place called Megawatt. From memory around $250 and they made it to match my requirement for low power density. Just another option. Also, silicone seal is fine for the seal.

husky said:
I ordered some custom elements from a place called Megawatt. From memory around $250 and they made it to match my requirement for low power density. Just another option. Also, silicone seal is fine for the seal.

What volume is your hlt husky?

It's 70L but only used for single batches of around 24L @ end of boil. I boil off at 14% evaporation and it uses 16A to achieve that.

Latest posts

Back